Whew! Didn't blow it this time. Opted for Hard Luggage...

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by ridnout, Feb 8, 2017.

1. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Just threw caution into the wind and purchased from eBay, Mutazu, a Pair of Italian Red Hard Pannier Saddlebag For 02-09 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor. They were having a deal with 10% eBay bucks. The two key thing worried me, of course, umm three key thing. Maybe I will see if I can get a locksmith to do what they do and key them alike if economically feasible. Just threw'em on the credit card. Will just sell some Tektronix Calibration equipment hopefully to defray the cost.

But then I was like, no liners, grrrrrr. Digging around I found a place with some good looking liners for about $43 delivered. Great. It beat the price on Amazon & on eBay by about fifteen to twenty bucks. Check.

I then go back to recheck the listing, and bam, there are only left side bags left! Oh my, as of late, I've procrastinated so that I lost great deals or opportunities to make a little coin.

I will just hope that I didn't get the last FUGLY set!

Oh yes, the liners are from Bestem. They look pretty good. Maybe I will get another set, as I believe I may wear these out.

Oh yeah! I purchased these as a birthday present to myself--it's today! Yaay! Awwwww, that was the money almost exactly to get the plastics painted. Oh well, my commuting days with the backpack are hopefully at an end!

2. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
  3. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Yowza! The Happy Birthday or dem ears! :biggrin-new:

4. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

You will never forget this present to your self. I chuckle every time I see a crotch rocket monkey humping a football with a monkey on his back humping him. Hard bags will allow you to enjoy your ride from now on....

5. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    That is just hilarious. On the 04, I am going so far as to lower it with the custom extended dog bone. What is so great about it is that it came with a matching machined kickstand. I say the listing on eBay and lurked until she was mine shipped for only $50. I cant believe the parts are so purty. Purtier than anything currently on the bike.

The 04 will be a beauty queen commuter, at least the idea. Im going to be a bit more liberal with the 9/99.

6. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Hard bags are the way to go. Plenty of room for the basic necessities, tools, maps, base layers and more.

7. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    The luggage has arrived, both the saddlebags & the trunk.

Observations & Other Purchase:

(1) The color match is perfect between the Mutazu saddlebags, OEM trunk, & the non-faded portions of the bike (more on that in a future thread).
    (2) The trunk did not come with the rack but included the plastic base plate and backrest.
    (3) Ordered the OEM rack on eBay from a Honda Dealer a couple of days ago with an automated response but no tracking information.
    (4) The saddlebags only came with the racks and bags, no other hardware (missed that in the listing).
    (5) Oh my, I did get the fugly set. The right saddlebag is missing the Interceptor emblem/sticker. Mutazu can no longer source the sticker.
    In addition, there is a spot where it appears that the saddlebag took a hit during transport (packaging not the best at all)
    where there appears to be a faint silver dollar sized starburst in the paint. It is barely noticeable (Will get pictures of that later).
    (6) I will have three (3) Keys for this luggage space, sure to be a bother and a pain.

IMG_4442.jpg IMG_4445.jpg

Here is where I need help.

Should I return the Mutazu bags and locate a factory set of Honda Bags? I've read on forums where the color sometimes did not match although carrying the Italian red color code. It would clear up the keying and mounting issues; however, would amount to an additional $400+ and a loss of $70 from that ten percent incentive from eBay Bucks.

I have not been able to find the hardware to mount the bags or the stickers in the US but have been able to find them at European Honda sites and others. If they ship to the US, I'd wager $110 + S&H for the mounting hardware and $20 + S&H for the stickers. Because the emblems are different in the US, Interceptor versus VFR, I'd need the set.

I have contacted Mutazu, and they seem to be wanting a swift resolution and to hurry me up. They first offered 15% then sent an email later offering only $20. I am going to inform them that a search is underway for the missing pieces, and that I'm receiving help from group members helping with the search and will make the best informed decision.

Any recommendations?

I do have several sites that I will post when getting a chance, so that some of you riders can look at what I was able to find. Man, you Europeans sure have a great selection of quality stuff from Honda and elsewhere we can only imagine.

Thanks again.

8. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    That all depends ... what did you spend on these bags?

Who cares about the stickers. Debadge those suckers ... you can always put a new set of matching stickers on them if you really want. Key thing is the paint - though they'll get banged up from regular use anyways.

9. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Ridnout, can I please get a picture of that kickstand and if it has a manufacture stamp on it?
    Thanks
    Nice bags---

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. digitallyhip

digitallyhip New Member

Canada
    Keying them alike is very simple. For $28.80, buy a set of Givi Z228 locks and keys from these guys. You'll need a small screwdriver, and some patience, but you can do this.

Protip: watch out for the flying ball bearing and spring! They are very important.

11. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Thanks a bunch for the keying tip. I have open browser tabs of sites of interest with Givi contact info being one of them. That takes a load off. I spied the keys and tumblers were numbered. Check. As far as that ball bearing situation, oh yes, thanks again. That same situation happened when cleaning the clutch master cylinder, not sure of a spring, but something similar.

Because the purchase of the kickstand and lowering link were fairly recent, I was able to dig up the receipt with the eBay link and took a screen shot of the dog-bone and kickstand. Funny, I wanted to ask if this was purchased from a member. It was from a group build or purchase. The seller was wrpm75. Here is the picture--> Capture.jpg If you want more detailed photos, just send a PM. They are at arms length. Oh, yes, the drop is supposed to be 1.25". I may open another thread on advisement of purchasing another center-stand from eBay and having it cut, welded, powdercoated or painted match the drop. I like the convenience the center-stand offers.

Hey duccman, take a look at the pictures and notice where there is a big spot of paint missing. I assume that's where there was a bit of adhesive that was removed when the sticker peeled off of the saddlebag. That is hideous. If I could source the Interceptor stickers here or the VFR stickers from across the pond, that would be great. I'm guessing I could also fab a nice piece of textured abs plastic that could serve as minimal protection in a garage or driveway drop, but I'd sure like the stock look, not saying I care for that fake carbon fiber. Hmm, that led me to an idea, maybe a cut carbon fiber fit piece, maybe even rounded like those sliders on the ST series.

Here is a picture of the kit I need --> Capture2.PNG and another 08l52-mcw-841-pannier-set_medium08L52MCW840-01_4c29.jpg showing the full kit paying special attention to the plastic finishing covers for the grab handles when the rear trunk rack/mount aren't used, but the side racks are. I just like options and having the full Monty.

I have read an excellent install guide here on VFRWORLD and know from others' experiences that certain pieces are needed, especially sleeves for the footpegs to keep the bolts from warbling them out of round causing rattles and other maladies. I don't wanna do any fab, ahhhhh--plug-n-play. Oh well.

As far as price, the Mutazu saddlebags were $700 for the left and right set with mounts minus the other hardware and that spider web burst in the paint.

This will have been a long winding/winded post. Whew again.

Again thanks for the keying stuff and giving making me think a bit. Please keep recommendations coming. Much appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  12. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    At that cost, I'd return them. You can find a nice set of Givi bags with mounting hardware in that range.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

13. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    From what I have been reading, the trunk and associated mount do not work with the pure Givi setup. Anyway, I removed the locks to compare, as I was worried about the black keys on the Mutazu set. Turns out they are the same though of a more lustrous metal finish. I ordered the recommended set at a total cost of $36.25. Now to just get the mounting hardware and a set of stickers. I will be emailing dealers in Europe to see if they ship and payment options.

Again, for the set I did earn $100 in eBay bucks that I will put back into the bike. I am seeing that motorcyclng is not a cheap thrill or commuting tool over the short run.

However, I hope to be pleased when all is said and done. I am going to keep Sybil (04) and Jackie (99) if at all possible.

Maybe a 600 or Africa Twin somewhere down the line. Consider the 04 an All-Wing.

14. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Not cheap, but worth it. You gotta pay to play. :kiwi-fruit:

15. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Have got the locks set and installed on one left side saddlebag. It works. Will install on the trunk next.

BIG SNAG! How hard is it to install & remove the saddlebags from the racks? Without being mounted on the bike, the right side was a beast, a little bear, to install but a BIG BEAR to remove. I am not even able to get the left saddlebag onto its rack. I am feeling very defeated now.

Please advise, if this should be a super tight fit or not. Don't believe I should have to wrestle them from the rack/bike or deform the bag in any way!!!!!

I believe, if I'm not jumping to conclusions (should be checked on bike) that these brackets are not OEM or not from the OEM factory. I will supply pictures if requested. It is just that the place to relocate the reflectors does not exist and the welds look like bird poo/ pidgeon $#!+.

Again, I purchased the Honda OEM Trunk & Mount Kit. The saddlebags and trunk work as a set and look, ummm, factory.

Oh yeah, the box that they were mailed in isn't even large enough! It is for some "Black RS" box-->read single. There was only a dab of thin bubble wrap around the surface. I was so delighted that they had not been destroyed (well had to tighten the right reflector, star imperfection in clear but barely perceptible in at least house lighting) but am beginning to wish I purchased that guy's set on Craigslist for $465 and got them painted.

AGAIN please advise if you have to rip'em off the racks or fudge them oh so hard. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017