New Member and looking for help

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Jeff62, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Jeff62

Jeff62 New Member

Hi,

I have just purchased a 1995 VFR 750 25k, it has been sitting in a garage for the last 9 yrs, I know for sure that in the last 3 it was not run. After getting home I bought a new battery and put a gallon of juice in it and got it going. I then changed the oil and filter and warmed it up to running temp. It would rev to the red line but then tail off a little and then pick up again. I have changed the plugs, air filter, coolant and fuel filter. The fuel tank was rusty so i emptied the tank to be greeted with at least an inch of rust and shit. I then cleaned out the tank using white vinegar and then jet washing it and then baking powder to disperse any acid. Being confident all was done I fired her up to find she did not want to start. I checked the plugs where sparking yes and the fuel was following yes. After several flat batteries She will now tick over on full choke but reducing or using the throttle she cuts out. Today i managed to get her to normal temp but still needs full choke and cuts out with throttle. I know that one of the front cylinders is not firing and have checked the spark and changed :congratulatory:the plug with no joy. I am confused as to why before i made the changes she was fine a little rough now find that `I have one less cylinder working. Also the fan has stopped working though I have not touched the rad or electric's other than releasing the bolts to swing it out. If anyone has any ideas please share before I start to work my why through to the carbs.

Many thanks

Jeff

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Man, Fuel issues are right there with electrical ones, but Oh brother, had it been me hindsight of coarse, I would have made sure first that the fuel tank was spotless, ok that said, sounds like to me things are gummed up in the carbs. So no getting around this, time to get down and personal with em. Old fuel, specially this old, should have been a clue to what to expect. But I also get the itch to hear it run. I did the same thing with an 86 I got more or less in the same condition, ended up getting new carbs or in this case another set that was known to be ok. Bingo all was good. as far as the fan goes, was it known to work prior?

3. Jeff62

Jeff62 New Member

So True I should have thought about the fuel tank acted like a excited school kid and looks like i have made a lot of work for myself, oh well just have to crack on an get it sorted. Never stripped the carbs before any advice and any special tools or liquids required. The fan was working fine for sure i checked that when running the second time. Strange only one cylinder not running and only ticks over on full choke and the throttle makes the engine cut out is that probably a further blockage somewhere in the system.

4. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    Congratulations on your find and finding us!

Seems to me that a lot of that tank rust loosened up and went to the carbs. One carb is completely blocked.

Put battery power directly to the fan or jumper the fan switch. Maybe the connectors are a bit dirty or corroded.

Cheers,
    Glenn

5. Jeff62

Jeff62 New Member

I can only think the damage was done when i stired up the tank with new petrol si stupid.

Thanks for your reply

6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    To me the most difficult thing here is the rubber boots on the head hold the carbs in place well be hard. so to get them flexible enough to get em off will be a slight #$@! you well need to warm them up, all of them. I mean warmer than warm, they are bad enough new at room temperature. From that take photos and notes they are not overly complicated, just having V4 carbs is the hic up, very do able though.

7. Jeff62

Jeff62 New Member

Oh well may have to wait a bit, snowing at the moment may not be the weather to get stuck in even in the workshop. I will do a bit of reading and make sure I have everything I need.

Many thanks for the advice.

8. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    Get some Wintergreen Oil and rubbing alcohol so you can recondition the carb boots after you get the carbs out. That will make the re-install of the carbs a treat.

9. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Jeff and Welcome to the MadHouse:welcome:

It already sounds like you have your hands full with your restoration project, so when you get a chance please visit the "Introductions" forum and say hi to the rest of the folks on here, and don't forget to post a photo of your VFR or it won't be long before folks start raggin.

Its a good idea to update your forum profile (Forum Actions+Edit Profile) to include the specs of your VFR and an approximate location (city/town is fine), that way the information will appear automatically with your posts and if you need help, you may folks nearby are willing to swing by and offer advice especially if you have a well stocked beer fridge:drink:.

As for the bike it sounds like you have pulled gunk from the tank and has now clogged up the fuel filter or worse still one or more of the carbs. Hindsight is wonderful so the best step now is to take steps to stop things getting any worse. So remove the tank and make sure it is totally clean of rust. There are plenty of you tube videos showing how to clean rust, and a few firms who will do this for you, using acid to clear the rust and then a special coating system to stop it returning. Then make sure you clean the contaminated fuel from the fuel system making sure the fuel filter and carbs are clean. If the bike still runs rough you may need to balance the carbs.

Good luck - and post up photos of your progress.

SkiMad

10. Jeff62

Jeff62 New Member

Well I have removed the carbs after much swearing and cussing, it was a difficult job as advised. I eventually used a crow bar wrapped with a soft towel ( I Know ) but I couldn't get any real heat into the four collars. Anyway it worked within seconds without any damage after trying to remove them with a wood mallet and a wood stake for two day period this seemed a miracle. I opened the carbs to find that the needles had gone green assume water in the bowels reacting to the brass, i took out the floats and removable needles. Cleaned them all with carb clean and blow out every holes that I could find. I have today put it all back, replaced the fuel pipes as they split whilst trying to reconnect them, i am glad they did it then and not when riding could have been bad news. After much fussing, I eventually got her to fire up, this was difficult at first and out of desperation i grabbed the throttle and instead of cutting out she fired up. The problem now is that she wont idle with or without choke or on her own. Prior to the problems caused by the crap in the tank she would tick over. I am taking a guess and assume that the idle jets are still blocked ? if so how i do anymore than I have carb clean compressed air. Thoughts

11. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    OK it sounds like you are getting there. If you are certain the tank is no longer delivering fresh debris, the next question is to work out what is causing the poor idling issue.

I take it you also completely cleaned through the fuel lines and checked for clogged filters. I know its a bit late but some of this thread may be of interest.. I think Pete has some of the HCL stuff left if the tank still has issues.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthre...nk-Walkthrough?p=536657&highlight=#post536657

If you can keep the engine running for a minute or so you may be able to determine whether any of the exhaust headers is a lot colder than the rest, which would point to a single carb/cylinder issue, or even that debris has simply gummed up a spark plug. If the headers all feel similar temperature then I guess your intervention may need to consider replacing the jets (they are over 20 years old) or perhaps you now need to balance the carbs.

Keep the updates coming.

SkiMad

12. Jeff62

Jeff62 New Member

I did check all the exhaust they were all red hot which was better than when i started only 3 before. It has a new fuel filter and a newish good condition tank filter. I used White vinegar 20 ltrs £15.00 ebay cleaned it out and then Bi Carb after. Most of the fuel lines are new and blew out the old ones via the carbs. I didn't take the slide needles out but the slides seem to be fine. Would balancing them sort out the idle. Otherwise its back to stripping them again.

Something I forgot to mention was that as time progressed and bleeped the throttle there was the occasional flame come out of the exhaust.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  13. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I feel for you Jeff; I had a similar sort of experience with my ST1100.

I can suggest that you take to your carbs again, and in addition to the jets you need to pay attention to all of the air passages that lead air from the intakes to the bowl, and from the diaphragm chamber to the bowl. Basically anywhere there is a port, make sure you can blow air or carb cleaner though and see/hear it coming out the other end. Just beware that carb cleaner and rubber parts are not always compatible, so make sure (especially sure) to keep the diaphragms away from carb cleaner, and also the air cut valves, which if present also have small diaphragms in them.

One other area not so far mentioned is electrical supplies, especially anything that affects the healthiness of the spark. I went over my carbs repeatedly looking for a misfire source, which turned out to be due to corrosion in the red connector that feeds power to/from the right bar pod and to the ignition/coils, leading to weak supply voltage for the ECU. It is worthwhile going over all of the connectors and cleaning and adding dielectric grease to prevent future corrosion, and hunting down and cleaning chassis ground points.

14. Jeff62

Jeff62 New Member

So I have stripped the carb down again, removal was easy having done it before took no more 10 mins. Opening up the carbs I was shocked to see that the green has come back after cleaning this before. The jets where the same again. Jets soaking in carb clean for longer. I removed the two new rear plugs to find they where black. I have blown through every hole I can find so will see what happens. IMG_3787.jpg

15. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Standard white (distilled) vinegar here is in the 5% acid range. Great for making pickles but may be a little weak for removing the rust in your tank.

16. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
  17. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    What he said..

The cider vinegar makes a much better salad dressing or mayo than the distilled stuff. The distilled stuff is great for washing windows or for the real DIYers , there's a couple of those 1,001 things that can be done with vinegar sites. Another is 1,001 things to do with a dead cat but since SOW is gone MIA, probably not a great subject for most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hrGAcKPE20

18. Jeff62

Jeff62 New Member

Thanks for the heads up I will do it all again, perhaps you could explain something to me, two of the floats move up and down fine, the other two are a bit sticky they will move but don't have the same movement. I have swapped the floats, pins and the float jets and location. I have narrowed it down to the float jets. I have looked at them and they seem no different to the others. Clearly there is but I cant see what i'm missing any ideas.

19. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    sticky = dirt or wear
    carb cleaner / ultrasonic cleaner are all tools that are very useful...

2000 grit sandpaper can also sometimes assist !!! - sparingly but NOT on Jets - lol

20. Jeff62

Jeff62 New Member

Very happy today carbs re cleaned new float needles fitted, all connected up. Started like a dream all pots running and smooth. Sorted the fan as well noticed that a cable had been moved and reconnected and now working. Now new clutch and brake fluid. Happy days. Thanks everybody for your help.