Roommate knocked over bike. Now, doesn't want to pay. Need advice

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Hey its me, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Hey its me

Hey its me New Member

I posted something about this when it happened. I don't even remember what it said it was so long ago but this sitiution has snowballed. I'd like some advice on actions to take next. Heres the story. I(m27) feel like this has been going on for so long, and I'm so sick of this lingering, frustrating, burden I can't even think straight anymore. I need some unbiased opinions on here. So, last year I moved into a house with friends. Alex (m23), one of my new roommates, recently got into motorcycles. He asked if he could ride my 95' VFR 750f, which was in awesome condition. So, I say "No, parts for this are hard to find and expensive if something were to go wrong. Maybe when you get more experience". Welp, about two weeks later he was drunk in the garage and knocked it over. Somehow he blew out the whole tail section.. Broken into pieces. He told me. Said he would get it fixed. A month goes by and he finds the left side of the tail fairing on CL. he goes and buys it for $150. It has some broken tabs though and he still needs to find other parts before I bring it anywhere to get fixed. Well, that was a year and a half ago.. Iv'e been patient, spent hours looking for parts myself, and I got tired of it. So, a couple months ago, I moved out of that house because he was disrespectful, rude, and bullied me to the point where I felt like I had to leave. I am not friends with him now. So, I moved to a new place a few months ago, I notified him, and I brought it to a shop so they can take care if it. Basically once the shop quoted it, Alex started giving me problems, not wanting to pay for it. Now, I don't know what to do. I'm going to link an album of screen shots of our last conversation here. This is what really frustrates me. This, and the fact that since then, he's bought a brand new KTM Duke, a $16,000 wake board boat, a new ford truck, and is looking to buy a house. (http://imgur.com/a/uFcwB)

2. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like you're outclassed (in other words, this guy owns you way too easily). I'd just move on with life and take the memory of this situation as a lesson.

Letting go is very cathartic.

Pick your friends (or whatever) more carefully in the future.

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Wow honestly me being who I am and I'm here in my chair, so hard to say just what would be the fall out from this if it had be me in your shoes. But I do know I wouldn't have given such a luxury of taking his time. Now you know how he was and maybe you felt he needed time. Time here was the enemy. I would have road his ass, not in a bad way. but he would have know whats was up. so in that that' s a big hurdle now to get over. I totally get where you're coming from, still I'd look into putting a lean on one of his assets if he has any. Him stating it's his fault is good, there's a small bit of leverage there for small claims, IF Thing is really hate to see that go this way, but some people just don't get it, this is a tough one. Maybe go ask his parents and bring them into it, girl friend? make it real uncomfortable, talk to his employer too.

4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Was going to say that too. But..........

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Take the fucker to court, or, forget about it. There are really only two options here. How much is your time worth?

6. Hey its me

Hey its me New Member

Agreed. It makes me cringe thinking about it. Its been a weird progression, and i've never had this happen so it's a bit weird to deal with (Friends -> friends+roommates ->not roommates ->not friends) Small claims court is what I'm thinking now.

7. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States
    Hey its me,

I'm an attorney in Ballard, message me privately, and I'll be glad to chat tomorrow and advise you, pro bono, of course. You have a clear option that should make him pay.

Kristian Soholm

8. Hey its me

Hey its me New Member

PM'd. I appreciate you reaching out.

9. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Sadly drunk morons who dont care about anything have always been about. Hes given you $150 & therefore thinks hes made an effort (for a drunk mistake)...
    Personally, I'd move on with your life - dont waste any time / effort or energy looking for more out of him. Some people are just black holes & you will have your life sucked away.

10. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    What was said in the past is in the archives, word for word unless you changed it.

Yep,you can sue this dude in Small Claims Court. It goes real quick in court so you'd best be ready with all your shit together. You may even win by default. There is paperwork involved in the process including filing and service, that will cost you some pesos. A win is a win. A collection is another can of worms.

I'm certain that the pro bono offer from counselor Soholm will provide,and that council has just opened Pandora's Panniers for a shitload of dudes looking for legal freebies. Uff Da!

Several dudes here are pretty good at fixing crunched plastic and there are a shitload of shops and places that fix bikes in the whole area. Leaving this dude to source out parts for your bike instead of doing it yourself and just having him fork over the pesos makes me wonder what you hope is going to be the final outcome.

Me, I'd catharsis all over this dude..

11. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Best to let it go, acknowledge and move on.

12. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Sad but either knock his KTM over, and knife his tires---- just kidding
    Your young, just another lesson learned and trust me there's a ton more.
    Move on, been mindfucking yourself to long.
    Hope ksoholm has some sound advice and can help
    Let us know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  13. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    I second the others. After this much time, I think the best route may be to move on and really take this lesson to heart - choose your living situation very, very carefully, and don't let someone slide on this type of shit *at all* unless they share your last name or you've been friends for 10+ years (and even then, think three times). And honestly, the first point is the biggest here; don't beat yourself up for being way too nice of a guy. In the future, be more careful about who you live with, keep on being a really nice guy, and don't look back.

14. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    P.S. did he buy a Duke or a Superduke? If it's the latter, he's a dead man anyway.

15. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I honestly never would have let it go on that long ... you were way too nice to him and it's gone on too long.

Either go to court or move on.

I would have taken it in for an estimate immediately after it happened and made him pay for the damage immediately - and then kicked his ass.

16. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like a putz anyway. What comes around blah blah blah

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  17. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    What about just meeting him in the middle, say $1000 or $750, just to get it over with?

18. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Remind me to not piss you off . ok ;)

19. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Get it fixed reasonable and present him the bill and go from there. Negotiate. Cut your losses where you can and accept the rest as an expensive lesson.

I lend a friend of mine about 1200.00 when he was in financial difficulties. That was in the late 90's He has yet to pay me back yet golfs a lot and had flown to Barbados a few times for vacation. He has long ago moved to the Toronto area. I have written the debt off.

I fronted the lawyers fees for a mineral rights transfer when my mother died for my 5 siblings to get things in proper order. Two have paid me back fully, one somewhat, one a little bit and one has paid nothing. If I were a prick, I would be telling them should they pull anything out of the ground they get fuck all because everything is in my name but of course I won't do that. But I will recover what I am out before anyone gets any royalties if that ever developes.

Like was said, pick your friends. Deal with family. Don't lend anyone any money, and collect your debts immediately or as soon as you can.

If you go to small claims and get a judgement, you still need to collect. Such is the case here in any event. Tell him you expect payment immediately and do not give him time to pay. You just open up another civil action of credit by doing that. If he can't pay immediately, send it to a collection agency. Here, the person owing the money pays the agency's fees.

Good luck.

20. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    You probably waited to long. Get it fixed and try to get some money back. If that fails call Duc.