Bedding in new rotors

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Lint, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Hi, new EBC rotors installed, getting ready for their virgin ride. EBC says to ride easy for 300 miles, then heat cycle them, 60mph down to 20mph, without coming to a stop. What methods have you used?

2. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Same method. The main idea, I was told, is to heat up the rotor as much as possible without overheating it to speed up the "setting"process.

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Other than take it easy to bed the pads, say 30-50 miles of off and on braking changing the pressure from smooth to panic stops, not a whole lot. Use em or lose em. ;)

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Do they bed them in when the bike is new? I don't think so. I would just ride normally and don't do any aggressive braking for a couple hundred miles and get on with enjoying the bike. Then again, I have never done a complete brake renewal. Yet. But my bike was in the crate when I bought it.

5. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Lint did you get new pads too? Are the pads sintered or organic? I know at the track they are considered bedded in 2-3 relatively easy laps. After that flog them. But that is not for organic pads as they will fade when hot.

6. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I got sintered anf organic pads from ebc. The sintered are on their rotors, the organics are on stock honda rotors. I can tell you to follow the manufacturer's recommendations
    You can tell the difference between the two different pads, with the organic (blacks) having less initial bite. That's all i gots to say aboot this. Don't use a torque hammer in small bolts anymore trust your touch. :peace:

7. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I don't know which pads are on it. The PO put them on. They appear to be sintered, but that's just a visual guess.

8. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    P.O. said he seems to remember the front pads being organic. The amount of brake pressure needed, compared to the sintered pads I had on my 05.

9. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Maybe I just like wasting money, but new EBC rotors would get new EBC HH pads. I followed the recommendations of EBC to a degree, certainly didn't mess around for 300 miles and had no issues.

10. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I'll be getting be HH pads soon, the Galfers on there are getting worn. I didn't pay for the rotors, basically it's warranty work from EBC. The rotors that were on the bike vibrated and I called EBC and they sent me a new set for free. After about 6 months, they started to rust, even on the anodized section. Another phone call, another set. I now have four used rotors that I'm thinking of turning into some stools.

I'm going on a trip to Montana this summer. New brakes, chain/sprockets and tires before I leave.

11. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Exactly what rusted on the rotors Lint? If it was just the surface where the pads make contact, could that just be surface rust. We get that here all the time on our cars and trucks and a few brake applications and that is gone. Can't say I have ever noticed that on my bike though.

12. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Rust in the braking area is no biggie, the pads will sweep that clean. It was in the non braking areas, including the gold anodized sections of the rotor carrier.

I'll get a pic from my phone and add it here. It was purely cosmetic, but it happened on a rotor that is supposed to be pure stainless steel. I saw rust developing even after just washing it, not to mention riding in the rain, etc. EBC stands behind their products though, so I am grateful to them. Neither the EBC rotors that were originally on the bike, nor the Galfer rear rotor showed any signs of rust, so I think it was just some bad metal in that set. One was worse than the other.