Lost power to Instrument Dash

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Rust-collector, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Rust-collector

Rust-collector New Member

Any help would be appreciated, I've a 2002 800 (first of the angular fairing models), had to change a LHS headlight bulb and have lost power to the dash panel.

Only had to remove/reconnect a single pale green 3 wire connector to get to the bulb. tried reconnecting a few times still no power.

Bike starts, runs and all lights work ??? is there a dash panel fuse that I could have possibly blown???? Any other guesses?

Peter

2. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
  3. Rust-collector

Rust-collector New Member

I hoped it was simple, and thankfully it was..........after finding how to dismantle the front fairing the culprit was the mutlipin connector that you can't see that plugs into the back of the Dash unit...........

Notes to future Honda design people
    1. put a clip on this plug (there is nothing to stop it falling out)
    2. how about not skimping so much on the lengths of the wiring ( most plugs have barely enough to reach the units and the slightest bump dislodges anything not clipped)
    3. how about a fairing clip/fixture design that doesn't take most of a day to pull down and put back together (my eighties fully faired hondas could be stripped and rebuilt in about 1 hour and only had 10 screws.)

Anyway back on the road with instruments... interesting though that the dash unit isn't in the slightest bit needed to run the bike.

4. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Good Job!