Off the Vfr but still on a honda

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by thecat, Feb 12, 2017.

1. thecat

thecat New Member

Just here to say that I sadly had to let my Vfr go. In the last few months, perhaps with age and the 2015 crash that busted six ribs, catching up on me, I began finding it difficult to ride even 30 km without experiencing discomfort and pain in my hands, arms, back and thighs. Even more,so when riding two up. I simply lost confidence and even bringing the bike to a stop riding two-up was a bum clenching moment. I just felt I would drop the bike anytime the wheels weren't turning.
    I still will drop in to check out what the guys and gals are up to, as this certainly one of the best forums for a single model bike. I have learned so much of the veterans here in care and maintenance of particularly the fifth gen and the eighth where we learn together. So many thanks.
    But am still riding. And it's still a Honda. Guess I just needed a more upright position because I rode 400km two weeks ago on a full day out with club and came back fresh as a daisy. My confidence is beack and my wife is also happier. Though of course I still get a firm tap or two on the helmet to slow down.
    So here's my new ride --- and it's a keeper. I'said that before, but this time it's for real!!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Nice to hear from you again Cat. And also nice to learn that buying a new bike for yourself made your wife happier. Talk about win-win!

3. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States
    I like that bike. Old school cool and a retro looking color scheme.

Glad you're riding. Had to take a year off when I busted a hand a while back and I understand what you mean about confidence. You have to let you and your body work back into what you're doing, and the bike for you is the one that's comfortable and fun. Always. Have fun with it.

4. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I see this in your future Cat. Just a few little additions....
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    I love that SuperFour engine, Honda has really spent some time perfecting it. It's definitely one of Honda's best creations, just like the V4 engines.

Wish we had them here in the U.S. (I have to get my 4 cylinder 400cc kicks on my '93 Suzuki GSF400)

EDIT: okay, your pictures weren't very good. couldn't tell it was the big SuperFour.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    The Honda dealer owner here has one of those CB1300 here I like em. Honda should make them available over here. That said, good to see you back on any two wheels, as there's a mind game going on too. But once bitten by a V4, you'll be back ;)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  7. thecat

thecat New Member

hiya gregindenver -- it is the cb1300 super four 2001 model. Japan-only of which only 500 were produced. it harkens back to one of my favourites -- the CB1100RR -- there was only one in Malaysia where i came from and was used for racing with a full works racing kit -- went like a bat out of hell -- though the first racing VF750 introduced in 1984 and ridden by Australians Malcolm Campbell and Andrew Johnson in a four hour endurance, ate it up for breakfast, lunch and dinner -- that's why I bought a 1984 VF750F.

8. thecat

thecat New Member

hiya terry --- haha. wish i owned one of these -- but the one i have is cosmetically very close in looks albeit a fair bit heavier.... plus, i get the double pro-link rear shock setup. i also get the 45mm front shocks (reduced to 43mm post 2002 for the cb1300s) which Dave Moss, currently back in new zealand, says is a very good as he felt rebound valving was sensitive and accurate. I had just slung ohlins shocks on the rear and he proceeded to set the bike up for me -- as he did with the VFR. and it felt immediately more alive and responsive. i don't know how he does it but when i got home and checked his settings, they weren't far off what i had already done. the carbies are so well set up to match the full titanium stock moriwaki exhaust that when i slung on a K&N air filter, i felt an immediate loss in torque so out it went and back with the stock air filter. Lesson learned. love the carbies -- as they don't seem to have the problems of jerkiness off idle/low rev traffic riding that i have experienced with fuel injected engines. -- Being a 15-year-old bike and with 28k kms on the clock, i decided to clean all the electrical connections -- less of a job than with the fifth gen harness which i was grateful for! ps -- loved your video from Auckland back roads....when i come up maybe we can catch up for a coffee!!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  9. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    I had the first '81 900F around, back when they first came out. I remember riding it to a couple of other Honda dealerships, and the owners, and salesmen coming outside to look at it.

They were very heavy, by today's standards. Cool old bikes, tho.

I now have a really nice, re-jetted '06, 599. The 599 is about as old school as l could be happy with.

If Honda ever brings out the new 1100F, I will have one.

10. thecat

thecat New Member

mate, the 599 looks to be a great bike. carbies, USD forks, light weight; might be something i will need --- a few years away!

11. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    Very nice lines on the new piece
    I can see the interest in the so called old design
    It just works
    I am reminded of a demo ride I had on a 2016 VFR1200 adv.
    It had amazing deep red paint but the attraction end there, just too tall,big,and wide
    Lots of bells and whistles but not for me
    The older Honda's just fit