Might get a '14 VFR800 today

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Hero Danny, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    This isn't so much a question, as much as me just rambling and seeking opinions.

Hi everyone,

So I know I've had my 1991 VFR750 for about 6 months now and I really do like it, fantastic brilliant motorcycle... however I just found a white 2014 VFR800 at a local dealership for $6,200 with only 4k miles and "excellent" condition (accord to their website).

I've always really liked the newer ones, especially in white. And for that price I am having a hard time thinking of an excuse not to get it.

Anyway... if I get it then that's good bye to the 1991 vfr as I don't need 2 of them lol. But I was just wondering what you guys thought? I guess i'm kind of thinking out loud here.. I was planning on getting a SuperMoto this summer for some hooligan action but this is such a good deal I don't think I can pass.

I like the 2014 VFR, my only issue with it is the exhaust covers the whole bloody swingarm. I have yet to find an aftermarket exhaust I really like for the '14. I wish someone made an underbody option.

Anyway, we'll see. I'll let you guys know either tonight or tomorrow what happened.

2. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    That's a very good price! If you like the newer bikes and like the V-Tec I say it's a no brainer. For me, I prefer my 5th gen gear drive bike to the V-Tec bikes. If there's anyway you can do it, keep that old 3rd gen. It's a totally different ride even tho it's a VFR ...

3. Quibble

Quibble New Member

United States
    Yea it's hard to let go of a bike you like. I had my first bike (2007 Suzuki Boulavard M50) for 4 years before finally upgrading to 2014 VFR800 primarily for more power and to try a sport bike.

I do recommend being patient and developing certainty for what you want. Waiting a few months or a year for the right bike and being certain of what you want is worth it if you're gonna keep a bike long term.

Best of luck - it's always exciting contemplating a new bike :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Here's the thing when looking at those, the 3rd gen you have and the 8th are pretty much the same bike less the newer thing. But when rideing and actually getting it down, you may be surprised as just how well your 3rd gen does for the money. Best deal here in this comparison is carbs vs. FI, but the biggest competition for the 8th gen is the 3rd, 4th and especially the 5th gen. take it for a ride compairing it with your check book , that said that's a deal though for that 014 VFR

5. artpongs

artpongs New Member

United States
    Map
    Please show pics of your 1991. Also, I am surprised I have not found pictures of high mount exhausts for the 8th gen, only low mounts.

Art

6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Staintune makes a wired slight coned sorta high mount, not at all like the Staintunes we have.

7. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I'll take my 8th gen. any day over the 5th gen. I used to have. The 8th gen. has a much wider useable torque band, is just as quick with a Delkevic slip on, and it has fuel injection which is a major plus to me. Having had a 5th, 6th, and now an 8th gen., the 8th gen's don't get enough credit for what they'll do IMO. Gear driven cams are good but not as good as a modernized bike that runs as good or better. Fire away......

8. Check6

Check6 New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't have a comparison of an older VFR to throw in the mix, but I can tell you I love my 8th gen. Not ferocious (like my liter class sport bikes of yore), handles great, smooth power delivery, and just a blast to ride. I've always had a Harley in the garage, but that's apples and oranges. When I want to go site seeing with the wife or a slow putt around town I take the Road King. When I'm feeling especially good and want to have a ton-o-fun I take the VFR into the mountains and scare the tourists.

9. artpongs

artpongs New Member

United States
    Map

5th and 6th gens were fuel injected. 5th were the last of the geared cams. My 5th has PC3, DMR suspension, delinked brakes, Micron high pipe and I will try to attach the dyno sheet. I can't attach the .pdf for some reason it says its too big?

Art

10. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    That's a good deal Danny especially if it's the deluxe model. I think you will like it. I love my 8th gen - had a brief case of buyer's remorse after test riding a BMW S1000RR but I was cured after going for a nice ride on my "Spyderceptor" - see vid below - LOL. The bike is great fun to ride, in fact I'm getting ready to do a quick late night blast up to the gym right now. But I've never ridden any other gen VFR so I don't have much experience to compare. Good luck with whatever you decide.

[video=youtube;e3lt9GtInk0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3lt9GtInk0&t=217s[/video]

11. artpongs

artpongs New Member

United States
    Map
    I also have the Pipercross filter. Regardless, yeah that is a good deal test ride it and go with what you know. I would be getting an 8th gen if I didn't have my 5th gen.

Art

12. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
  13. CatHerder

CatHerder New Member

United States
    Map
    Tomorrow's here!!
    Got a new bike??

14. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I certainly know they were fuel injected. OP was comparing to a 1991 bike.

15. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
  16. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, I agree. Odd ain't it. Best looking set up I've seen here for the 8th gen, It could be IMO a tad smaller in Diameter, but that's splitting hairs.

17. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    Sad to say that the bike was gone when I got there (they never changed it on their website). I'm sad but at the same time happy that I get to keep my 91 VFR...

Also while I was there I saw this beauty [​IMG]

Bad pic I know, but it's a DRZ400SM (with a kitty cat on it addition) I really want one. Considering highly on buying one, if I get it i'll keep my VFR and just have 4 bikes lol (cbr600rr, magna, vfr750, and drz)

18. artpongs

artpongs New Member

United States
    Map
    Pics of your 91? Are there any issues with it? Stock or modified any?

19. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    Here ya go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    Not a single issue I can really think of. Mostly stock, just has a yoshi pipe (bought with it) and some heated grips (added those myself)