Frame Modification Question - Best method? Past Experience?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by MotoMatic, Feb 15, 2017.

1. MotoMatic

MotoMatic New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey guys, I'm in the process of modifying my '92 to fit a custom subframe and have a question about modifying the frame "wings". I want to reduce their overall presence to flow with the look of the bike, but have read varying advice on cutting aluminum. Given that it is on a bike, a circular or skillsaw is out of the question. I have read that using a sawzall with a carbide tip blade, dipped in wax (to prevent gumming) may work, but I have no experience with this particular application on aluminum. I am trying to achieve the most precise cut as possible, but understand I will have to smooth it out and refine. Has anyone done this before or recommend the best way to go about doing this? I have seen various levels of this done so I know its possible to an extent (see pics below). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Here are the lines I'm looking at cutting...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other Examples
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. JZH

JZH New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hacksaw?

Seriously. Cutting it isn't the problem. It's cutting it and still having a shock mount that won't break off when you hit the first bump in the road that's the problem. I've looked into modifying that part of the frame for aesthetic reasons, but I believe it would require welding new support ribs on the inside. Frankly, it would be easier to start with a 4th gen frame...

Ciao,

3. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States
    Horrifying. I will never know why millennials are so in love with hacking bikes to pieces and creating zero-resale "it's a cafe-racer dood!" mutilations.

4. CatHerder

CatHerder New Member

United States
    Map
    ^^^^^what he said.

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Agreed !!

No one without a degree in mechanical engineering should even think about modifying a VFR frame !