Possible new 2014 vfr800 ( not deluxe model ) purchase

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by bikelee, Feb 15, 2017.

1. bikelee

bikelee New Member

United States
    I'm getting a little older and want a lighter smaller bike than my 2012 Kawasaki Concours. Top of my list is a new 2014 vfr800. I can get it for $8699 brand new. The Honda is about 150 lbs lighter.
    Any problems with this bike such as the rectifier or other electrical issues ? How often do the valves need adjustment ? Are new factory bags really $2000 ?
    Thanks for any help or advice !! Leon

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I have had mine since 12/15 with no problems, would highly recommend the Deluxe for the ABS and the center stand. ABS worth it weight in gold and you will kick yourself in the years to come for not getting center stand, a real PIA to install later.

3. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    For the small price difference between staggered and deluxe, losing suspension adjustment, ABS, Cece stand, traction control etc, it doesn't seem with it. The standard is basically a fancy scooter.

4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Like the above, why Honda even made that standard model to be available beats me. Get the deluxe for sure. You won't regrete getting that VFR.

5. Big_Panda

Big_Panda New Member

United States
    Map
    my 04 hasnt skipped a beat after normal maintenance and repairs. I agree with all above. Center stand, ABS worth the price. Best bike ever.

6. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Allyance, I have never had ABS on any of my bikes. I have ABS on my car and the result is a rattling weird almost jackhammer result. I know that on two wheels safety first, but how smooth is the abs on the VFR that I don't have with the base model. if it is anything like my car I would prefer not to have it and take my chances and skill. I am glad that Honda went away with the dual braking system on our bikes. That system made me steer away from Honda models in the early 2000's.

7. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map

Bikelee, Keep looking on price on the standard. And on the deluxe. I bought my Standard for less than $8000 a year ago. Where do you live? If you look around the mid west (Wisconsin) or in cali or even Arizona you will find deals on the 2014 red and even the deluxe model. Last year while looking the Wisconsin market was listing the base model at $6999 tp $7300 range. Wisconsin has a dealer (Group) buying power that they took a lot of the bikes. As some have stated the choice you need to make is the difference and price of the deluxe vs. the standard. Heated grips, center stand, quick shifter, ac outlet and adjustable front forks should be you decision breaker. Good luck and join us soon. Take Care.

8. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Biklee, I was a die hard Kawi fan for many years. Honda if nothing has always been the tech bike to beat as far as systems. They have had issues like all manufactures. I have had my bike for only under a year, but I have not heard anything but pluses on this model! And this page of 8 generations of this bike will set your mind at ease if you pull the trigger. The VFR is the most advance technically ride that Honda has with the VTECH engine. Good luck and we look forward to another kawi convert like myself. :)

9. Check6

Check6 New Member

United States
    Map
    A fancy scooter? Fancy scooter??? Damn. I'm insulted.

OP - It's a good bike. Wish I would have got the Gucci model in hind sight, but still a good bike. My last bike, other than my HD's, was an ST1300 and although I put a ton of miles on that thing I do like the VFR better. My IBA days are behind me so I don't need anything like an ST.

10. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Hey Bikelee, I love my '14. That said, coming from a Connie you may find the ergonomics to be not to your liking because most reviewers say the 8th gen ergos are on the sporty end of the sports-touring spectrum. I just went on a ride last week with a buddy who has a '10 Concours (see vid below) and he said my bike was too leaned over for him. However, Honda does offer bar risers and motopumps offers high quality copies that are taller than Honda's so that would help.

In addition, you may not be happy with the power of the Interceptor compared to your Connie. While I was able to keep up with my buddies Connie I had to really wring it out while it seemed his bike just effortlessly hauled ass! According to zeroto60times.com the '14 Interceptor does 0-60 in 3.0 and the 1/4 mile in 11.4 while the '10 Connie 14ABS does it in 3.1 and 10.8. The '07 Connie 14 has times of 3.0 and 10.7.

Have you looked at the Ninja 1000? I sat on one and it is more upright and has significantly more power than the Interceptor with it's liter sized engine. I'll post a good comparo vid down below where it beat the Interceptor according to the reviewers.

[video=youtube;Fs4dYrlqdBI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs4dYrlqdBI&t=2584s[/video]

11. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Comparo vid of VFR v. Ninja 1000 I referenced above:

[video=youtube;QEVEiVW26uo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEVEiVW26uo[/video]

12. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Part 2 of comparo vid of Interceptor v. Ninja 1000:

[video=youtube;F6ypcBVn49w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6ypcBVn49w[/video]

13. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    ABS has saved my ass several times from stupid cagers. Very smooth, no chatter. Don't judge all ABS systems on one car. Don't make the FATAL mistake that you can think and react faster and better than a computer. You have to understand there are two co-efficients of friction in the physics involved (static and sliding), as soon as your tire starts skid due to over braking, your co-efficient of friction drops drastically. By constantly keep your tire from skidding, you will stop in a much shorter distance. ABS will always out perform a human in a panic situation.

14. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map

Allyance, I know that ABS is a great thing. I have just never had it on a bike. I like your comment not to judge on the performance of my cars system because if I did I would never have it. The car is a Hunydai so there you go!;-) Now that I know that it is smooth I am jealous! Now traction control would be great as well. But never having either I guess I won't miss it. Though I want it now. Did any generation have the linked breaking system from Honda?

15. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Being a person that came from owning kawi's this was my first choice. I do love an inline engine. I did find the body work, windshield and exhaust goofy ( and I didn't like the green,but the kicker was Insurance. Being 48 and a clean record I found it amazing that every insurance company wanted at least $125-$147 a month on the Ninja. The VFR is $54 a month. I will live without the extra horsepower and be happy with a better looking bike.

16. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    To each their own but don't let anyone lead you to believe the standard is a "scooter". That's an absurd statement. I chose to buy a standard when deluxes were available and got the center stand free, installed through negotiation with the dealer as part of my new purchase deal. In hindsight, I wouldn't have even gotten the free center stand because you need front and rear Pit Bull stands anyway if you're taking wheels off safely and easily. My only regret on the Pit Bulls were not having them a long time ago for my other bikes in the past.

I feel the same about abs brakes and don't particularly like them on cars either. I've NEVER heard anyone say anything good about the traction control being useful on a 104hp VFR (Honda published number). On a modern sport bike, yes, but not a VFR. All I do read and hear about the traction control is how crappy it works on the VFR. As far as paying for a device to do a sketchy job of canceling my turn signals....I've been riding long enough to know to cancel my turn signals without "help". Anyone that really needs help remembering to cancel a turn signal shouldn't be riding. I tend to think many people feel a need to justify paying more for the deluxe because that's all they could find or they put a high value on ABS which I don't. As far as suspension adjustment, the rear is adjustable and my front hasn't needed any adjustment. ALL of my riding is at a fast pace in technical mountain twisties and it's a great bike for doing that all day. The connie has more power for straight line drag racing but who really cares about that. I'll take one down in the turns all day long. That's the other, not so popular view you should consider.

17. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I agree, Traction Control on the VFR is not that important. TC interupts your train of thought when riding hard, could be very disconcerting, whereas ABS kicks in during a panic situation when you need all the help you can get. TC (with several levels) on a 200 hp bike can be life saver.

18. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    [video=youtube;lRg620x4dgQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRg620x4dgQ[/video]

19. Check6

Check6 New Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, what he said..^^^

20. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    What's up with all the panicing? Be aware of what is going on around you.

I am in the "I'd rather not have abs or trac control" camp. While I am at it, no ride by wire crap.

The center stand is nice, but not a deal breaker.