They did their job

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by OOTV, Feb 15, 2017.

1. OOTV

OOTV Insider

So after my low side the other week, I can say the one item that definitely did their job was my Knox Gloves (Bio-Mech ~$199). They were by far my go to glove and have held up pretty good, considering they are almost 5 years old and worn many hours of riding! That being said, I think it's time to retire them.

I really like these gloves for several reasons, one is that they fit me just right! A couple of others is protection level and comfort. Knox had developed a scaphoid protection system (Known as SPS) and is actually licensed to other glove makers. Without a doubt in my mind this was one safety feature that helped save me from a more painful or serious hand/wrist injury. Unfortunately, they stopped making this model and had no direct replacement or similar model, so I had to look elsewhere for something similar. Knox does have the Handroid, but these are a more of a track glove, than an everyday sport riding glove and they cost ~$269. Fortunately I was able to find a decent pair of gloves with a very similar build to the Knox, Scorpion SG3 MKII gloves for $135 and they have the Knox SPS to boot!

Here are some pics of the Knox gloves, post crash and a couple of pics of the new Scorpions.

Right hand glove. You'll see the SPS pucks scraped down pretty good and the hole in the palm.

[​IMG]

A few more views of the sliders and hole...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the same glove and the slider that is at the wrist area, this too got pretty scraped up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, on to the Scorpions. Since Knox did not have a replacement for the Bio-Mechs, I chose the Scorpions for a few reasons, one was the price ($135), the level of construction/materials and protection mechanisms, they actually work with touch screens (great for using my map app on my phone) and the feather in the cap for me, the Knox SPS. I'm looking forward to breaking these in and see how they hold up to the Knox. Once I get to ride in them for a while, I'll update this post with a review.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Damn brother, I didn't know about this, but I'm sure glad you didn't sustain any major injuries.
    Text me if you need anything.

3. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States
    I looked at the scorpions before I bought my Icons. I really liked them and they were my second choice. In fact, I think they have a better cuff/wrist fastening scheme, but the gloves I bought fit my hands slightly better.

I went down one time without my good gloves on. I had just done some work including new pads and didn't want to put my grimy hands in them. Low speed crash as I was hard on the brakes at 20mph or so when a raccoon ran into my front wheel (yes, he ran into me) and even at low speed those gloves were scant protection.

Funny, I'm kind of a glove nazi. Always wear them, always wore good ones and searched for ones that fit me well. But after this debaucle I'm an absolute true believer in what they do for you.

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Having been an avid skate boarder when I was young, I did the inevitable and rode my board without gloves, ended up going down at about 45 MPH (Downhill run) and boy did I regret it! My hands were so thrashed I couldn't use them without a lot of pain, took a long time for them to heal too. Ever since then, I chose never to ride my board, bike or motorcycle without gloves! Considering how my leathers, boots and helmet also did their job, I'm definitely staying ATGATT!

5. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States
    You ain't kidding about how long it takes for hands to heal.

Everything else I had on did its job that night. My knee got so hot I had a mild burn on it, but the leathers didn't wear through and my knees, ankles, and hips all came out fine. Didn't bust a shoulder or collar bone though I did land on the right shoulder. Shield on the helmet got a goodly scrape on it, too. It's amazing how slow 20mph feels until you get off at that speed.

Even if I'm jetting down to the coffee shop and never going more than 35mph, I always have armor on, always have good boots -- and never skimp on the gloves.

I have some great TCX GP boots and love them so much I'm thinking of going TCX for my next track/tour boot. I don't like my astars so much. What are you wearing for boots?

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

TCX and Knox products seem to fit me just right. I was wearing my TCX S-Race boots, when I went down and like the gloves did their job too. I had a pair of TCX Jupiter 2 low cut boots for commuting but have been replaced by TCX X-Square and like the other pairs of TCX, fit me just right. I really like their stuff. If you can do it now, they're clearing out this years models so you may find them at an even better deal!

7. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States
    Hah -- Deals. Revzilla has that TCX S Race on closeout for a good deal. I'm a 42. 42 out of stock.

You sent me looking just to annoy me, admit it.

I'll look around. Now is the time so I can get out in the mountains over the summer. I'm really impressed with the build quality of the pair I have and they fit me just right, so I'm glad someone else has good experiences. They don't carry TCX at the nearby shop so I can't just jet over and look at them.

8. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Completely innocent, honestly! Also check out www.motorcyclegear.com or www.Sportbiketrackgear.com They both carry TCX.

9. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    FWIW I'm a Glove Nazi too. But not very many good ones in a XXXL to try out. Luckly Spidi has em.

10. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States
    Thanks for the heads up. The white S Speeds, which are the cheapest on sales, are out of 42 literally everywhere.

Still worth the small extra cost for the black S Speeds, and I'm not sold on them over the Sport tour Evos, which are only $200. Anthony's review at revzilla called the S Speed a " lot of boot if you're rocking it every day on the street, unless you drive like a complete nutjob all the time..."

It's one of the two. I'll decide tomorrow when I get paid and put in the order.

hah, I don't have that problem. Tiny hands, tiny feet, for someone my size at least. Choices definitely get worse for folks who are over a certain shoe or glove size, don't they?

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    yea funny thing here I'm not a big guy @ 6' just long arms and fingers, I blow out XL gloves in a hurry. size 12 if.....Good thing for Ebay.