VF400F Engine and Frame numbers?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by PaulB, Feb 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PaulB

PaulB New Member

Hi - new member Paul here. Can anyone tell me where I can find out valid engine and frame numbers for VF400F's? Just put a deposit down on a machine sight unseen, would be useful to have the info before I collect. Are there any figures for number produced, allocation to which markets etc.? Looking forward to owning a V4, I've wanted one of these for years but never got round to it before...any info much appreciated!

2. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    take a look at 400greybike for info... May be something thats useful to you on there.

3. Lobotomy

Lobotomy New Member

Canada
    There's a couple of guys here with 400s, They should chime in soon. have fun when you get it.

4. JZH

JZH New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    VF400F? Technically, the first bike I ever bought. I never rode it, however, as the engine went "pop" when the dealer was prepping it... (So they said.) I ended up buying a VF500F from another dealer.

The VF400F is very old tech, and few were ever sold (though I think it was a UK-spec bike, so there should be service information in English...but good luck finding parts). I hope it's cheap!

Ciao,

5. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    They were imported into UK for one year and they brought in loads expecting it to be huge success. It wasn't, and they were selling the same model year off for the next two/three years, offering many kinds of discount. I got mine cheap with free fully comp insurance back in 1984/5.

6. PaulB

PaulB New Member

Thanks to last couple of posters for the info. Yes, it is a UK bike, and cheap (but still very pretty). Its a late '84 registration, so I assume it was sitting around in a dealers for a while. I remember them from my youth as being very expensive, e.g. compared to an LC and also not much demand in general for 400's in the UK as most people passed their test and got a 600 or bigger. I've seen a couple of other complete ones for sale, all 3 have got between 40 and 60k miles on them, so is seems they can do reasonable mileages. Seems to be lots of parts on ebay, so may get a spare engine or even another project bike. Bike is actually a present for my son, who is getting his A2 licence - strictly should be limited to 49hp and the VF is listed as 53, but after 30+ years and 40K miles I doubt it will make much over 30! Anyway, a nice cheap Jap mini-classic, I don't think we can lose any money on it anyway...

7. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    If it's not too late, consider a VF500. I have had both and the 500 is miles better.

8. PaulB

PaulB New Member

Ah what the hell - lets get one of each! Can't get a 500 for the lad - too powerful for his licence. Not many 19 year-olds riding a V4 these days, so he seems happy it will have some street cred...

9. PaulB

PaulB New Member

10. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    GBP1600 is not miles away. I paid GBP2000 for an 86 in 2011. It was in really good condition though. Not mint by any stretch but everything was present and correct and it was standard and low miles.
    Just be aware there are two variants. The 84/85 is the one in your picture. The 86 received quite a few updates and is more desirable IMO. There is only one colour scheme for the 86 in the UK which is red white and blue.
    Just saw this one http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C839089. He has no hope...

11. PaulB

PaulB New Member

£5K more than bit ambitious! Tempted by the £1600-quid one, but need to get a few more brownie points with the missus first. Appreciate the tip about model years, definitely agree.

12. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    if you are after a V4 400, then the obvious one in the UK to go for is the NC30.

Cheapish, can get most of the parts easily, far more reliable than the VF400, restrictible to 33hp, cheap insurance, lighter, stops better, etc, etc.

In short, get your money back.

13. PaulB

PaulB New Member

Agree with everything you say about the RC30 - but, for me, it just hasn't got the look. Must be in the eye of the beholder and all that, or perhaps I just have a soft-spot for the early 80's. Either way, it was cheap money and my lad is chuffed to bits with it so money well spent...

14. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Your son will have many an enjoyable evening fiddling with those enclosed discs. Just watch it when you/he attempts to remove them. There are 6 off little spring fuckits that are easily lost when you remove the disc. Check the valve clearances too.

15. PaulB

PaulB New Member

Thanks for the tip - sounds like you've had a bad experience in the past?!

16. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Not really. I liked my VF400 OK. Those enclosed discs were a stupid idea though. Some claim the VF motors are difficult to work on and I suppose they are as you have two cylinder heads but I like the challenge. Modern stuff is pretty bland in comparison. You don't seem to get mainstream exotic stuff any more.

17. PaulB

PaulB New Member

Bike now sporting some pattern exhausts, looking much better but won't be happy until the plastics have been properly sprayed and decals added:
    VF400 - 18May2017.JPG