07 fuel pump quit working briefly

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by mk7cobra, Feb 17, 2017.

1. mk7cobra

mk7cobra New Member

hello.
    just bought a 07 25th anniversary in january. 4200 miles, one owner well kept. ive put about 500 miles on it and it has run perfectly so far. Yesterday i cranked it up and let it run for a few minutes, shut her off, then a few hours later was going to take it for a ride, went to start it and....no sound of fuel pump prime and it wouldnt start. Checked obvious- gas, battery, all other electrical seemed to work including starter. So i raised tank, checked connection at fuel pump first, looked good. Unplugged connecter checked voltage at connector and it showed 11.xx for about 3 seconds when key was turned to on. So i assumed it was the pump itself, although i though it would be odd with a low mileage bike. I sprayed some electrical contact cleaner on that connecter plugged it back in, wiggled it, still no pump firing. I then checked fuses under seat, and connector. They looked ok, but i sprayed them with cleaner, plugged them in, tried again- still no pump, no start. i re-checked voltage at fuel pump connector, again it was 11 and some change for a few seconds then down to 0. plugged it back in still nothing. I had given up and was convinced i needed a fuel pump, so i lowered tank back down, and gave it one more try, and BAM- fuel pump fired up, and she cranked up!!! since then (yesterday) ive fired it up normally a dozen times, but havent rode yet. DOes this seem like a fluke, or does it sound like a fuel pump or something else is in my future, or just bad connections/dirty connections? Connections didnt seem corroded or dirty to me when i checked them, and those were the only ones i checked at this point.

I have been riding Harleys for the last 25 years, and havent got around to getting the service manual- didnt think id really need one yet!!! so im not quite up to date on these hondas and thier wiring and tendancies. Any one have this happen or have experience with this issue?
    Thanks