New Member, Old 1986 VF500F - Restoration begins - Ongoing Thread - Will need your help

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by tonyhes, Feb 17, 2017.

1. tonyhes

tonyhes New Member

Hello,

Well I've never been able get rid of the MC bug. My 2nd bike was an 83 vf750f and it broke this 18 year olds bank back in say 1992 and I didn't have another bike until a few years after finishing college.

I have always liked the vf500f and after getting a quote for $363 dollars for insurance a few months back I decide the project could be affordable for a person who lives on his own. Especially since my last bikes insurance was something like $1500 a year. (2005 gsrx 600) I really like the idea of a small v4 and.... since its not a in demand bike rich folks are not driving he prices up to STUPID amounts that I can't afford.

My plans are CBR F2 Wheels complete disassembly with frame and hard components powder coating. Attempt to find good enough original plastics and tank and leave it at that. Hopefully, can enjoy some cheap rebiulding
    ((1st startup video below!!!)

Here she is coming home:
    [​IMG]

Wash
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

AND.... First start after sitting for ever so long......... Definitely has problems with the ignition. and the carbs don't do much more than idle with the choke on.
    How do you think it sounds?!
    [​IMG]

2. tonyhes

tonyhes New Member

And what am I going to do about this!

Where are the bolts?
    [​IMG]

3. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    That motorcycle looks pretty good, Tony. Definitely in better shape than mine. How many miles are on it? Welcome to the boards.

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    They are break-off bolts. A fresh pair of vise-grips can usually get them loosened.

5. Lobotomy

Lobotomy New Member

Canada
    Looks pretty good, should be fun.

6. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Welcome aboard from another new member!

I road a VF500 back when I had my initial DMV road test. Talk about a light and very "flickable" bike. I think that it was a 1984 model. Borrowed it from a friend just to make it easier to pass the test.

I would suggest that you remove the carbs and completely disassemble and clean them out. Drain the tank and check it for rust.

Have fun reviving a great machine.

7. jrodrims27

jrodrims27 New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome, congrats and condolences... I've earned my opinions both positive and negative because I've had mine since 1984 and I'll be happy to share what I know with anyone. The one thing I can tell you, is learn how to work on it, it's old enough that few places will be even willing to look at it. Hopefully, you know how to rebuild carbs, sounds like your pilots are clogged, just buy a new set for $20 bucks, #38 or #40 series 21 Keihin style. Also, those carbs and the boots, oh man... getting them off and on is not fun but you need to know that they do actually come off and they do actually go back on, no matter how impossible it may seem at first. I know you can get brand new boots for the 84/85 for about $8 bucks each, I don't know about the 86 unless you run 84 carbs of course. Adjust those valves. If nobody has, they'll be tight, really tight and keep them adjusted by checking them OFTEN. This is NOT a just-change-the-plugs-and-oil-and-forget-about-it bike. Not by a very long shot. I am running an 86 engine because my 84 dropped a valve shortly after I rebuilt it. The valves in these are very weak and the chances of one breaking are very real. The fact that they've been under tension for over 30 years now on top of the not-so-great design of the valve train makes this your huge achilles heel. The metal fatigue here is inevitable. I resorted to buying all new valves and 84/85 springs because I didn't want to ruin another engine. Good luck pal, once you get it running well, don't rev it more than 9 or 10k no matter what or you'll greatly increase your chances of joining the dropped valve club! However, buying all this new junk is very, very unwise economically. I can't recommend it to anyone other than a deranged, nostalgic maniac like me.

the volume/audio is really low on your video but I think it sounds ok, a little clattery maybe, these things have CCT issues and rod bearings go bad too, you should take a close look at your oil, when you pull the pan, you should be able to see if there is a bunch of bearing dust/chips/material in there... oh man...good luck!

by the way, mine runs great right now so I am happy at the moment but have spent countless hours in my garage (and a bunch of money - way more than what the bike is worth to anyone except me) because of this little frickin viffer... here's my (boring) video of a little freeway run right after I got it all running right with the 86 engine... the fact that we haven't heard from you in 10 days now is hopefully not related to your finding out something serious is fatally amiss with your little viffer already. "a cheap rebuild" will only get you so far down the road on one of these (if anywhere).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0SukgXfQlo

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  8. jrodrims27

jrodrims27 New Member

United States
    Map
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  9. Mikey30006

Mikey30006 New Member

Canada

Holy crap that is impressive.... That guy is bold.

10. jrodrims27

jrodrims27 New Member

United States
    Map
    That he is but he says he just plans on using the bike for one single race after all that work! He kept the old valve springs and most of the old valves, other than that, everything seems pretty amazing.

11. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    Any updates?

12. BluemoonerUK

BluemoonerUK New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey, I have a Corbin Solo seat for a VF500 if you are interested

13. Scott S

Scott S New Member

Canada
    Map
    I'm interested. PM sent.

14. tonyhes

tonyhes New Member

Hello Everyone!

I've had some trouble logging into my account here and despite many tries I don't get a email (spam or not) to reset my password..... Well tonight I try again and I get it go figure.

So not too much has happened in the way of wrenching but.... There has been some acquisitions. I'm happy to note how cheap used parts are for these machines, unlike my friends RZ-500... Of course the RZ... is just awesome...

Plan is to repair 2 bikes for sale, fun in fixing and minor profit. 3rd will be keeper.
    So some pictures below.

Today's question. Looks like the fork seals on these bikes don't like getting old ;) Can anyone recommend a seal kit perhaps with dust covers for these machines? My instinct is to trust nothing that isn't OEM... But $$$

I borrowed a compression gauge. Want to see exactly how healthy the bits I am working on are.
    IMG_0079.jpg

Current Status Bike1
    IMG_0078.jpg

Ebay purchase, good condition... needs some work.
    IMG_0084.jpg

Ebay purchase, good condition... needs minor work to repair passenger side mount.. (Seems like these break very very often)
    IMG_0083.jpg

Ebay purchase, fair condition... hopefully will clean up well.
    IMG_0082.jpg

Ebay purchase. New old stock. Not sure how much of this will get used but likely will use for the keeper bike.
    IMG_0081.jpg

Ebay purchase, excellent condition one with minor blemish. (Repair to be determined) For keeper bike.
    IMG_0080.jpg

Ebay purchase, excellent condition for keeper bike.
    IMG_0067.jpg

Manuals because I need brains.
    IMG_0065.jpg

Oh hello... Purchased this bike and with another bike for cheap. (3 in total, 1 still be picked up). This bike starts and runs decent, has higher KMs (almost 50k) but seems to have had good owners. Brakes will need full rebuild.. They've jammed from sitting.
    IMG_0066.jpg