VF400: Project 'Very Foul'

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Fentible, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Fentible

Fentible New Member

It starts with a general pacing aorund the floor, inability to focus on TV programmes a certain listlessness and ambivalence toward suggested outdoor activities. Eventually she says " why don't you find your self another..................."bye!!" (me)..................project?"

Thus it was I found myself on my way to Norfolk, trailer attached and returning home with this little VF400, why the 400? because I was looking for a smaller bike to wedge into the garage, it was cheap, they are rare, parts are hard to find and I like the weird eighties inboard discs. I also do enjoy a challenge and for those wishing me a cynical good luck I have just completed an 18 month restoration of a 1969 Motobi 650 Tornado............try finding parts for those!

Whilst it has certainly been neglected it did have some redeeming qualities, it runs and has a solid aftermarket collector box..............well okay thats it really. I got the headlight, side panels and upper fairing with the bike although the belly pan is in excellent condition, its not the right one for this bike.

Big ticket items will be a decent rear shock, forks re-chroming and paintwork redone, not sure what the engine will need. Previous V4 knowledge, I had a VF750 which I wish I'd never sold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    VF400 posts are like London buses…you wait for ages then three come along at once

3. Fentible

Fentible New Member

Its all about the anticipation.

Looking forward to starting this one although I suspect the carb strip may prove entertaining.

4. PaulB

PaulB New Member

Nice - I've just bought one in the same colour, although mine is complete and ready-to-roll. Best of luck with the restoration - I have a workshop guide and have just ordered an owners manual (from Holland, should receive in next few days). Let me know if you want a copy. Nice to see someone else on here who likes these oldies - most people laughed at me and told me to get my money back!

5. Fentible

Fentible New Member

Hi PaulB, thanks for your very kind offer but I did get a copy of the genuine Honda manual with the bike. They are a fairly straightforward motor to work on so not anticipating any difficulties. The carbs on mine are a different matter and will require significant dismantling to improve their cosmetic appearance. Lots of photos and an organised approach, not forgetting keeping the fingers crossed.

I've decided i won't be a slave to originality but won't stray far. I love the colour scheme and the only bits i can't find, at point of this submission, are the front indicator mounts. Strangely even second hand sets of forks have them absent. No hurry though so I'll just keep looking.

Have you much to do to yours?

6. PaulB

PaulB New Member

No worries, sounds good. Make sure you keep posting photos as you make progress. My one (well, "officially" its a present for my son!) only needs some "V-Four" decals on the scoop, but I'm pretty sure ownership will involve plenty of time tinkering in the workshop. Have just started a barn-find 1955 Tiger Cub project (30 years untouched in a shed), so got plenty to keep me busy...

7. Fentible

Fentible New Member

I bought a 1957 T20C as a box of bits for £5 in 1978. Got most of my spares from a guy in Warwickshire (Rugby?). I eventually sold it in 1998 for a slight profit.

I always tend to keep a photo record of my restorations, so I'll post as I go but its a long term project. I'm getting the frame powder coated (silver) and fork stanchions re-chromed. I'll stick with the original shock as it looks as if it was replaced in the not too distant past. The wheels aren't too shabby and I'm looking forward to sorting out the sticking brakes.

Not sure what the belly pan is off that came with the bike, deffo a V4 but which one? I think the PO was intending to modify it to fit as it looks like it will hit all the mounting points on the 400 with only the downpipes getting in the way. Good luck with the Cub

8. PaulB

PaulB New Member

One thing I would like to do, is re-instate a 4-into-2 exhaust with black silencers, mine has a 4-1 in silver and is not the prettiest. I can find downpipes and silencers no problem, but no-one seems to have the collector boxes anymore. I could probably fab something, but just wondering what, if any, the innards might look like. No rush, so I'll just keep an eye out on e-bay I guess. BTW, I noticed a few belly pans on ebay if you're not fussy about the colour. The Cub has all the makings of a really pretty little bike - its got plunger suspension and appears to be 99.5% complete - just a seat and couple of bits of trim missing. As I'm sure you know, big market for Cub spares, you can basically get everything. My plan is to do it as a single-seater, to give it more a Terrier look - but keeping the Shell Blue Sheen colour completely unrestored.

9. Fentible

Fentible New Member

Paul, there is a collector box on ebay at the moment looks solid enough but not cheap, then you have to buy 2 silencers (Wemoto) which again aren't cheap

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VF-...715888?hash=item3f728bfa70:g:yTMAAOSw-0xYZ7qa

I can only see 2 belly pans at the moment, one damaged and one quiet expensive. No urgency though as i need to concentrate on engine and chassis.

Your Cub plan sounds good, I never liked the plunger suspension but it does look the part.

10. PaulB

PaulB New Member

Thanks for the tip - it's mine now. Them Hungarians drive a hard bargain but I got a few Euros off. Now need to save up / sell a kidney to buy some silencers - exhaust will end up costing 50% of what I paid for bike in the first place. But it will look much better, so totally worth it.

11. Fentible

Fentible New Member

Pleased you got sorted with the collector box. So far I've managed to pick up a pair of decent 2nd hand MIVV pattern silencers and an original shock in really good condition. I'm exploring the possibility of ceramic coating for the front downpipes and collector box.

12. ligurt

ligurt New Member

Italy
    I'm planning to build a 4 in 2 in 1 race exhaust for vf400f nc30 single side swing armed. if of any help, please let me know. I haven't determined if left or right side exit by now.