VFR mentioned in new Ducati SuperSport review

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by GatorGreg, Feb 20, 2017.

1. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Link to today's new review by Motorcycle.com's Troy Siahaan where he notes, "Perhaps its nearest Japanese analog is the VFR800 Interceptor, which was dropped from American Honda’s lineup in 2015."

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ducati/2017-ducati-supersport-review.html

Edit: I noticed that this same publication (albeit different reviewer in Evans Brasfield v. Troy Siahaan) gave the 2014 VFR Interceptor the EXACT same score of 86.5% in their old review (Link: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/2014-honda-interceptor-review-first-ride.html ). However, in his long term update Mr. Brasfield noted, "In the 1,100 miles I’ve logged on the Interceptor, I’ve become even more fond of it than I was at the introduction." (Link:
    http://www.motorcycle.com/features/living-interceptor.html )

Of course, I posted my somewhat biased thoughts on the VFR v. the new Ducati in the comments section below the article - should be fun to see the responses from the Ducati fans - I may need to get some backup from some of you guys :glee:

Edit: Looks like they deleted my comment! Perhaps my reference to the red wheels as "clown-like", comparing the dash to an old Nintendo GameBoy, and stating that Ducati must have had an 8th gen in Bologna when styling the new SuperSport was viewed as a bit too antagonistic? :witless:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Looks like they deleted my comment! Perhaps my reference to the red wheels as "clown-like", comparing the dash to an old Nintendo GameBoy, and stating that Ducati must have had an 8th gen in Bologna when styling the new SuperSport was viewed as a bit too antagonistic?

Ya think.. LMAO It's Still a good point but, yea

3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

That "nintendo" dash is much more than you think. I wouldn't expect that bike to be a hit over here, considering it is a much better machine than Honda was willing to put out as an 8th gen. 463 pounds wet, compared to what 550? (And I think I'm being generous at 550). Tunable electronics package, fully adjustable Ohlins suspension and Brembo brakes, yeah all that stuff sucks.

The pic of the S model with the akro exhaust is exactly what you guys have been trying to put together for months now. Honda may pull their head out at some point....I have my doubts. Wait until the Duc V4 superbike comes out, that will really be something to hate on.

Now imagine that engine and those components in a naked bike weighing 415 pounds....with even further upgrades and modifications.....give me a couple months. I'm in the process of building it right now, can't wait to show it to you.

4. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    The Supersport looks like a great package. I like the white with red wheels. I certainly don't need one as I already have a 748 and two sport tourers. But I see no reason to hate on it.

5. GatorGreg

United States
    Map

No, you're not being "generous" at 550 - LOL - you're doing your 8th gen hating, Ducati owning, troll-job. According to Honda, 8th gen is 529 wet including full tank of fuel. The 8th gens tank is 1.4 gallons more than the paltry 4.2 gallon tank on the Ducati - even my old Ninja 300 had a 4.5 gallon tank! And given the sucky fuel consumption (according to the article the SuperSport gets 35.4 mpg) don't expect to get very far on the Ducati - we can only hope that the GameBoy display screen in the dash has a distance to empty readout :glee:

And of course it has Brembo and Ohlins, for an extra $1,500 in MSRP it better! As for more technology - we're comparing a bike that still hasn't hit dealers' showrooms to a freaking 2014 model - the Ducati better have more technology! (although some folks would argue less is more when it comes to electronic nannys). The only thing I REALLY like about this new Ducati is the styling - and that's because it looks JUST LIKE an 8th gen - so the fact that you're building a naked version of the Ducati may be great for you but is really of no interest to me - but hey, maybe the boys on the Ducati forum will be impressed :witless:

As for the new Duc V4 superbike, I will probably like it because at least with a V4 it won't sound like a tractor as do most Ducati twins.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  6. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    Norcal, i have your dream bike. KTM 990 Super Duke.

7. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    My brother and I often swap motorcycles on our rides. I wish he would buy a Super Duke . . .

8. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map

Norcal owns a Ducati? I didn't know that.

9. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    I'm actually quite jealous of his Ducati - it makes him look very sexy I think :glee:

[​IMG]

10. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Not sure whether you are talking about motorcycles or whether you have personal beef with NorCal.

11. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Just having some fun with a gentleman who (AFAIK) doesn't own a VFR yet loves to espouse the virtues of Ducati and put down Honda every chance he gets on a Honda VFR forum - to me that makes him a troll. But don't worry - he claimed he put me on his ignore list a few months ago so he likely won't respond :witless:

12. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Oh, OK. But you know he built up a pretty cool VFR and posted it up here. I have never heard him badmouth VFRs. Saying that other manufacturers build good motorcycles isn't trolling. It's the truth.

I own a BMW, a Ducati, and a VFR. I also ride an Aprilia Tuono and a Triumph that belong to my brother. I would ride more bikes if I had time. No single manufacturer has built the perfect motorcycle. Not yet, anyway . . .

But I am still searching! So many motorcycles, so little time!

13. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    ^ what year Tuono? as that's so freaking close to perfect IMO. Great road manners, if you can control ones self, with a touch of superbike built in, and all for the long haul. Just to bad it doesn't have gear driven cams ;)

14. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Thanks Alaskan, but no need to worry. There is a little history because I called him a squid after he posted up that horrific rev video with that nasty ass delkevic slip on making a bunch of racket in a parking garage. Let him post his pics and write what he wants, it doesn't make up for being calamari, but it does make him feel better.

15. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    A 2003 Tuono. I couldn't believe it the first time I rode it. Sitting upright, wide-set bars, great handling and power everywhere. So light and narrow! One of those deals where I looked at the speedometer and I couldn't believe how fast I had wicked it up. Gotta be careful in 1st and 2nd though. Lots of fun and a very easy ride if one keeps his wits about himself.

I would love to try one of the V4s.

16. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Don't be afraid to show your true colors as a "look down your nose at other people with different taste and call them names" kind of guy - because that's why I love you - in a bromance sort of way of course - LOL. Why don't you show us a pic of the VFR in your garage - oh wait, you don't have one - do you? As a peace offering, I dedicate the following song to you :glee:

[video=youtube;LPn0KFlbqX8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPn0KFlbqX8[/video]

17. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    That song is so '80s! Haha. Haven't thought about it in years. 2:43 is really creepy!

18. RhINO

RhINO New Member

Sweden
    Map
    Hasn't there been VFRs on sale (new) since 2015 in the USA?

/R

19. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

20. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Yes, but they are leftover 2014 and 2015 models. In England and Australia they have the new slightly tweaked 2017 models listed for sale on Honda's websites, but they still have the original '14/'15 models featured on their USA website.