Quick plug cap question...

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by digger9million, Feb 21, 2017.

1. digger9million

digger9million New Member

Can anyone tell me off hand the correct supressor caps I need for a VFR750FJ please? I had no idea that there were so many variations of these in terms of length and angle etc so it'd be great if someone could tell me which ones I need to buy. It doesn't matter to me if theyre genuine Honda parts or remade ones.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    From partzilla.com (Part #8 30700-KAF-010):
    [​IMG]

3. digger9million

Thanks for the help buddy. By the looks of it I think Im going to have to get 4 of the NGK alternatives, which as I understand it will replace the originals.
    The code for the NGK ones is XD05F, which appear to be slightly longer than the originals but with a sharper bend at the top which should hopefully counter the extra length. The only possible issue it that tne NGK ones dont have the rubber flange thing at the end which cap off the hole where the plugs go in the top, so whether or not this will lead to problems in the future I do not know.
    Has anyone used these NGK's in place of the originals on this bike?
    Cheers for the help fellas!

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I would think the rubber seal is the most important part, sand and road grime will collect in there, then get into cylinders when you change plugs. Being a simple connector, there shouldn't be any subjective or performance improvement.

5. digger9million

Hi yeah i understand. The issue I immidiately came across was that the very few actual Honda ones I could find were around £30 each. So £120 plus shipping for the set, if I could find 4 for sale. Compare this to the £4.00 each I paid for the NGK ones I got from the local motorcycle shop to get them in-hand, there and then and it's a simple choice for me really. I will make some provision to cap off the holes, which I think will probably involve making something similar to the existing rubber stoppers and fitting them around the new supressor caps to do the same job. At a push I'd probably be able to modify the existing ones and incorporate the shroud part from the originals, in fact I could maybe use the entire rubber shroud things and fit the new caps inside them or something.... Got me thinking now so I'm off in the garage! Cheers for the reply.

6. digger9million

Update - They don't fit... Should have known! It turns out that the point of connection to the spark plug is about 10-15mm further down the NGK caps than on the originals, therefore the wire when connected to the cap fouling the inside of the plug recess thing and won't fit reyt. I'm going to try using the 'straight' equivalents of these caps and hopefully will be able to get those to fit. I'll let you know how I get on...