angel gt

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by tnvfr91, Feb 21, 2017.

1. tnvfr91

tnvfr91 New Member

United States
    has anyone tried the angel gt tires i am thinking about putting them on my 91 vfr, i have pilot powers and i just do not feel ultra confident on them.

2. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    What type of riding do you do and what makes you feel that way about the PPs? It's a good tire.

Have you had your suspension set up for your weight?

Have you upgraded it?

Are your pressures correct in your tires? Which series PP are they, 2, 3?

I've heard a lot of good about the GTs. I have not run them, but friends have them on their 160hp 100ftlb Ducati Multistradas and they fly with them on, even two up. User Switchblade over at VFRDiscussion has riden them really hard over at Tail of the Dragon, and gave a report of them. Maybe do a name search.

If you are looking for excellent grip, really any modern name brand ST tire will do. I have used the Michelin Pilot Road 3 and 4 and they really are more of a touring tire. Longer life from the 3 series than the 4, even tho it's supposed to be the other way around. I am currently running the Bridgestone T30 EVO tires on my 5th gen and they grip like mad. Scraping pegs, all the way to the edge of the front tire, hard throttle leaned over, HARD braking, etc they just grip. Even Ari Henning raved about them on a video I just watched over at MotorcyclistOnline.com. Excellent wet traction too. The only downside to them is that they don't last a long time, but the trade off is great grip!

Others will give you their experience with the Angel, but I've heard that they are really good and probably will outlast my T30s.

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Great tires don't usually last long. A sorta good tire lasts a bit longer, but leaves a vague feeling at times. A so so tire may last longer, but don't bother going around corners very fast. They tend to leave a bad taste in ones mouth. Over all in today's tire market there's a lot to choose from. I run on the Pireli Diablos and see better than 10k on a set, they stick like glue and I'm not known for pussyfooting around. Some folks like this tire over this one, just really comes down to riding style and what you want out of a tire. I've also heard good thing about the Angels too. so pick your poison.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Tires like oil, are subjective to a certain degree. As mentioned by Lint and RVFR, certain tires will last longer and some will provide better grip, some do a little of both. As far as your lack of "confidence" have your tires given you warning signs of an issue or is it in your head? Old tires, regardless of miles on them, need to get tossed and replaced, the longer the rubber sits and not get used, the more you should toss them. I've seen and ridden on tires with plenty of tread but their gripping ability really suffered, age seemed to be the issue.

I will say this, with the Pilot Power 3 tires I had run on my 5 Gen recently, I could push them to their limit but they would give me hints of where that limit was. They're life was rather nice with the two sets I had prior, where mileage was 5-6K miles. However with the last pair, I barely got 4K miles from them. How we ride, where we ride and other environmental conditions come into play and mileage truly does vary.

On my 6 Gen I run a Pilot Power 3 (front) and Pilot Road 4 (rear) and the set I just took off got me 14,256 miles! Most of these miles were commuting and maybe a touring ride or two and a couple of canyon days thrown in during their time on the bike. Unlike Lint though, I never tried the Pilot Road 3 so I have no comparison there but can say that when I did sport ride with them I had every confidence in them. Air pressure and suspension will play a factor in tire life and handling, so that should be taken into consideration in regards to your situation.

5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    I have got an Angel GT on the front of my ST1100, and this is an impressively trustworthy tyre. Has a dual compound so the centre should provide plenty of life, and I have had no traction issues at all (although I am a giant chicken in the wet). They are actually made in Germany on the Metzeler production line, and a good friend in the know tells me they use the same carcass as the Z8 which I also rate very highly.

6. tnvfr91

tnvfr91 New Member

United States
    i have the pp2 and just do not give me the feel when cornering near the max. i am running t30 evos on a c14 on it feels so much better in the corners and she is a big girl compared to the vfr. i will have to look at the build date on the pp2's maybe they are old. i have heard good things about the angel gt's and thought i would try them.

7. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I love my T30 Evo's ... but I had to get the GT-spec for them to last. Well priced compared to the Angel GT's

Lint likes this.
  8. seacliff

seacliff New Member

Canada
    Map
    I've had Pirelli Angel on my FZ6 and did over 15000KM on it and still had maybe another 10000 to go (had to replace it because of a nail).

I then went with the Angel GT, and I found it a bit harder, and heat up slowered compared to the Angel. I loved the Angel, but because had the rear slip on me a few time using the GT. I would say, if you can go with the original Angel, go for it. I will not look at GT for the vfr once they're due.

I can't say how long the GT last. I traded the FZ for the VFR :)

9. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    My only gripe with the PR4 is that they have a flatter profile and I almost highsided twice with them, once on the track and once on the road. Just too much throttle and lean angle for the tire. They last longer than the T30 EVO does. I don't know about the GT.

10. clarkm8

clarkm8 New Member

Had them, and I can say that grip was ok. Mileage was good, but not as expected.

11. davidnapo

davidnapo New Member

United States
    I just installed the Pirelli Angel GTs on my 2014 Interceptor. I like them a lot better than the stock Dunlops.

12. freewheelburner

freewheelburner New Member

United States
    It's all I run. Great tires!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Cadreamin

Cadreamin New Member

United States
    Map
    2003 VFR 800 here and Pirelli Angel Gt's are great tires all year round - like previous posts make sure you tune the suspension to your style and weight.

14. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I'm on my first set and they ride much softer than anything Bridgestone has which was part of what I was wanting to get away from.....VERY harsh riding riding tires. So far, I find the grip, handling, and predictability to be very good. Time will tell as far as mileage. I tend to burn thru tires given where and how I ride, so I'm optimistic that Pirelli Angel Gt's might be my next "go to" tire. Mileage is just something I expect to be short. I only ride for fun and recreation. FWIW.

15. tnvfr91

tnvfr91 New Member

United States
    Well i purchased the t30 evos, i could not pass on the rebate and price. i have not installed them yet.

Jeff_Barrett likes this.