GEN 6, Second Generator stator fried

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by YAUGURU, Feb 23, 2017.

1. YAUGURU

YAUGURU New Member

Hi VFRW.
    All we know that ours 6 Gen is a stator killer.
    So, I've read tons of forums about this, I did all the tests, measurements etc. and CONFIRMED, Stator is fried, I bought this bike 4 month ago and this is the second stator killed, i get it from e-bay, middle range price, ... not good

So this time it's time to replace for a good one, and replace the stator, the battery, and make all the connections fixed with screw terminals.
    Where I live there is not too many Honda dealers, and no parts stock, so my only option is EBAY.

My question is quite simple, which one?
    PLEASE!, if somebody have a good experience with some ebay stators to recommend, let me know, help me to decide.
    I saw RICKS MOTORSPORTS, ELECTROSPORTS INDUSTRIES, etc, but I really don't know which one to choose.
    Thanks
    Miguel.

2. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    You dont need to go to a dealer to buy stock parts....
    Get an oem stator from www.servicehonda.com ( http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...e=13&make=hondamc&a=696&b=6&c=0&d=-ALTERNATOR )
    and get an upgraded oem rr from www.roadstercycle.com (I would pick up the FH020aa super mosfett kit).
    As far as the battery goes, if it is some weird ebay knock off, replace it with the proper Yuasa, but if it is already a Yuasa and it load tests fine, after trickling it back up for 48 hours, leave it alone.

3. YAUGURU

YAUGURU New Member

Thanks CandyRed:
    I think that the R/R is OK, is the original one, also I've connected a new one that I have never used and the behavior is the same, the difference is that the original have the "monitor wire", my problem I think that comes from the poor contact in the connector (even though is not toasted), and the old battery, which I think is the original one, I can't believe but looks that is from 2007!!, as I say I had this bike for a short time, and I think that the previous owner sold it because of this problem, which is very known for me but not for all.
    The bike is completely original, no mods, no weird cables, no rounded bolts, but looks that was not very well attended and probably it has some winter parked at weather inclemency 30 Kmiles.

4. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    The original rr is a ticking time bomb. I would strongly suggest tossing it out and getting an FH020aa kit on there ASAP, which will do two birds with one stone, first it will get a modern more reliable and cooler running rr on your bike, secondly it will bypass all of the poor honda wiring. Then get a new oem stator. Electrosport is absolute trash and can result in major damage, Ricks is not much better. I highly recommend staying oem on the stator, unless you want to play this game again in a couple months...

5. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    75K on the original stator here. :smokin:

Wired directly to a MOSFET R/R, not plug.

6. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
  7. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    My original failed in 2012 with very high mileage on my trip to R3 that year. I was in Vegas at the time and OEM were back ordered so the place I took the bike to ordered and after market from some place in Wisconsin. That stator failed after R3 in 2014 while I was on my way home via Regina Saskatchewan. This one was replaced with OEM again and it is holding up fine.

Don't get an after market stator when an OEM is available on line and can be shipped just about anywhere. Ebay stuff is likely to be poor quality Chinese stuff.

8. YAUGURU

YAUGURU New Member

I'm in a rush now at work, but THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE ADVISE!!!!! Have a nice weekend!!

9. YAUGURU

YAUGURU New Member

Fuufff... those BS friday meetings...

I Have one more question: That weird "monitor wire" of the factory R/R, is good for nothing isn't it?
    As far as I know following the harness diagram, does nothing, and it was not present in my other VFRs from 1990 and 2000 .

Thanks very much for the links mello dude!, this is the first OEM parts online shop that I see with free shipping.

I'll get the stator/gasket from there.

Thanks

10. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah the monitor wire is a joke. Do not worry about it, you will lose it in the transition to a more modern rr like the FH020aa.

11. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Your Welcome... I think the $99 line for free shipping is actually genius for the company. -- I find myself checking out stuff and maybe hit $65 in my cart, then damn, I gotta find $35 more stuff to get, then before I know it, the bill is up to $150 and more.

btw - if you are keeping the stocker R/R, keep the monitor wire or the voltage will run high. For sure ditch it if you get the aftermarket R/R Fh020aa.

12. YAUGURU

YAUGURU New Member

I'll do, thanks to all of you guys, I've checked the harness for shorts just in case, and there is nothing weird, except that when I've connected an Amp meter in series with the (+) and the old R/R in place , the los current was +/- 7mA,(3 mA is the Clock) with the new R/R I have (unused moffset) the current was 4mA. So I'm thinking seriously to replace the R/R.