Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 84

Thread: 98 R1 fork swap

  1. #1
    Member I0seb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Victoria
    Country
    My Ride
    1999 Honda VFR800FI
    Posts
    70
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 28 Times in 20 Posts

    98 R1 fork swap

    Hi all,

    Making a new thread for my fork swap for ease of navigation. I will try to include as many details as possible so anyone who wants to attempt this in the future can refer to this thread.

    The reasons I went with this specific year model R1 are as follows:

    - Price and availability, got them for a steal
    - 35mm offset, only slightly less than the stock VFR forks which combined with the R1 forks slightly shorter length, should result in largely unchanged rake and trail values
    - Bottom steering bearing is the same, top can be replaced with one that is reasonably common (30x47x12mm), I got mine here:

    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tapered-r...AAAOSwrklVS-pW

    - They are nice and pretty and gold

    To maintain handle bar height, I will be using a set of Renthal Ultra Low handlebars and 35mm RHK risers which Iíll bolt through the R1 top triple. The height comes within millimetres of the stock clip-ons (88mm for stock risers vs aprox. 80-85mm for Renthals). Iíll be making up custom length front brake lines once they are fitted and I can measure the length needed, I estimate around 800mm.
    Things that have been done so far:

    - 929rr rear shock swap
    - Front brake system removal/brake delink
    - Fit R1 forks, lower triple tree and new top bearing
    - Filled indicator holes with body filler and sent the fairings off to be painted
    - Fit stock bar weights to Renthal bars (VFR ID is 17mm, Renthal is 14mm)

    Things left to do:
    - Mount R1 brakes and master cylinder and top triple
    - Make new brake lines
    - Install new handlebars
    - Powdercoat wheels

    I am waiting on the arrival of the top triple, front brakes and front axle from the US, R1 wheel should arrive in the next few days.

    Pics of the build so far:

    Before work began:



    Headers after buffing and then coating:





    CBR shock bracket fabricated and mounted:





    Front brake system delinked and removed:



    Indicator holes filled:



    R1 forks and new bearing fitted:







    Ghetto mount bar ends:





  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I0seb For This Useful Post:

    CandyRedRC46 (03-01-2017), Resina (03-28-2017)

  3. #2
    Uber Guru

    RVFR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Olympia Wa.
    My Ride
    98 VFR 781 aka 800
    Posts
    7,540
    Thanks
    802
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 805 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    And the fun has gotten into high gear I see, Nice.... Now keep us up to date please ;)
    Opportunity is where you anticipate it.

    Making the VFR have more get up and go. Header build fund @ https://www.gofundme.com/vfr-header-build

    [

  4. #3
    Uber Guru

    duccmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Country
    My Ride
    2002 VFR
    Posts
    7,395
    Thanks
    1,946
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 982 Posts
    The Mans got a plan, good job. Can't wait to see it finished.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELL YA, LETS RIDE !!!!!!!!!!

  5. #4
    Uber Guru CandyRedRC46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Orlando Florida
    Country
    My Ride
    2007 Honda VFR800 .... 1993 CB750 NightHawk (sold)
    Posts
    3,343
    Thanks
    1,296
    Thanked 351 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Very nice! My kind of thread. A yellow 99? Never seen that before, very cool.

    Rapid Bike Racing
    Cycle Pro
    Orlando Florida
    (407) 277-5557
    INFO@RAPIDBIKE.US
    http://www.rapidbike.us/

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Country
    My Ride
    1993 Honda VFR750F
    Posts
    803
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    You're following my path. But I did mine to a 93 VFR.

    I used RC51 SP1 upper and lower triples. The head bearings fit the VFR frame. Had to move oil cooler to avoid interference. Went with a 86 3 row cooler.
    I used the R1 front fender and calipers. R1 rotors are 200mm, my VFR rotors were 199mm. No biggie.

    Don't now about a 5th gen, could be close. I do know the new 4 pot calipers were much better. I used EBC pads.

    Good luck, post pics.

    Larry

  7. #6
    Uber Guru CandyRedRC46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Orlando Florida
    Country
    My Ride
    2007 Honda VFR800 .... 1993 CB750 NightHawk (sold)
    Posts
    3,343
    Thanks
    1,296
    Thanked 351 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    R1 rotors should be around 320mm and VFR around 296mm.

    Rapid Bike Racing
    Cycle Pro
    Orlando Florida
    (407) 277-5557
    INFO@RAPIDBIKE.US
    http://www.rapidbike.us/

  8. #7
    Member I0seb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Victoria
    Country
    My Ride
    1999 Honda VFR800FI
    Posts
    70
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 28 Times in 20 Posts
    From memory the R1 rotors are 298mm and the vfr ones are 296, I decided to just got an R1 wheel as one came up very cheap in good condition with rotors, saves me the hassle of having the axle turned down and getting the right spacers etc.

    Also does anyone know why I'm not getting emails notifying me of replies?

  9. #8
    Senior Member

    Diving Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London
    Country
    My Ride
    2008 VFR800 (RC46), 1989 CBR400 (NC29), 1998 RVF400 (NC35), 1987 VFR400 (NC24), 1988 VFR400 (NC24)
    Posts
    295
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 131 Times in 91 Posts
    I'm curious if this can work on a 6th gen. Just been offered a complete front end, brakes, wheel, bars, triples, lowers, mudguard from an 06 for £120 and at that price I'm tempted - lol

  10. #9
    Uber Guru CandyRedRC46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Orlando Florida
    Country
    My Ride
    2007 Honda VFR800 .... 1993 CB750 NightHawk (sold)
    Posts
    3,343
    Thanks
    1,296
    Thanked 351 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    I'm running a 2006 R1 front end swap on my sixth gen. I'm using cbr929 triple trees and 2mm axle and disc spacers. Works very well, with factory bearings.

    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

    Rapid Bike Racing
    Cycle Pro
    Orlando Florida
    (407) 277-5557
    INFO@RAPIDBIKE.US
    http://www.rapidbike.us/

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Country
    Posts
    270
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 69 Times in 58 Posts
    Why do you guys swap front ends?

  12. #11
    Uber Guru CandyRedRC46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Orlando Florida
    Country
    My Ride
    2007 Honda VFR800 .... 1993 CB750 NightHawk (sold)
    Posts
    3,343
    Thanks
    1,296
    Thanked 351 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    For turning

    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

    Rapid Bike Racing
    Cycle Pro
    Orlando Florida
    (407) 277-5557
    INFO@RAPIDBIKE.US
    http://www.rapidbike.us/

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Country
    My Ride
    1995 VFR750. GSXR750. 1982 CB900F.
    Posts
    177
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Why do you guys swap front ends?
    Because they like to tinker. While I admire their inventiveness I think it's a waste of time and no matter how much of an improvement it may seem, it's still a heavy bike and will never compete handling wise with a sport bike. Just working on the front stock suspension will produce pretty much the same result.

  14. #13
    Member I0seb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Victoria
    Country
    My Ride
    1999 Honda VFR800FI
    Posts
    70
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 28 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMLARCH View Post
    Because they like to tinker. While I admire their inventiveness I think it's a waste of time and no matter how much of an improvement it may seem, it's still a heavy bike and will never compete handling wise with a sport bike. Just working on the front stock suspension will produce pretty much the same result.
    Pretty much this, its also the delinked brakes and bling factor

  15. #14
    Uber Guru CandyRedRC46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Orlando Florida
    Country
    My Ride
    2007 Honda VFR800 .... 1993 CB750 NightHawk (sold)
    Posts
    3,343
    Thanks
    1,296
    Thanked 351 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMLARCH View Post
    Because they like to tinker. While I admire their inventiveness I think it's a waste of time and no matter how much of an improvement it may seem, it's still a heavy bike and will never compete handling wise with a sport bike. Just working on the front stock suspension will produce pretty much the same result.
    At 460 curb weight, its not bad :)

    Rapid Bike Racing
    Cycle Pro
    Orlando Florida
    (407) 277-5557
    INFO@RAPIDBIKE.US
    http://www.rapidbike.us/

  16. #15
    Uber Guru NorcalBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    Posts
    3,999
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 746 Times in 540 Posts
    Blog Entries
    7
    I was going to comment on the 460 pounds, but it really isn't worth it.

  17. #16
    Uber Guru CandyRedRC46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Orlando Florida
    Country
    My Ride
    2007 Honda VFR800 .... 1993 CB750 NightHawk (sold)
    Posts
    3,343
    Thanks
    1,296
    Thanked 351 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Well you never had a VFR with a front end swap or much weight reduction so... Lol

    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

    Rapid Bike Racing
    Cycle Pro
    Orlando Florida
    (407) 277-5557
    INFO@RAPIDBIKE.US
    http://www.rapidbike.us/

  18. #17
    Member I0seb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Victoria
    Country
    My Ride
    1999 Honda VFR800FI
    Posts
    70
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 28 Times in 20 Posts
    I have to say the difference in weight from the VFR front end is astounding, I should weigh it...

  19. #18
    Poser

    reg71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atascadero, California, United States
    Country
    My Ride
    1998 VFR 800; 2003 YZ 450 F
    Posts
    9,041
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 484 Times in 351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    53
    I thought I weighed my 5th gen VFR once and it was close to 520.
    My memory may be off, though. I have had a lot of ETOH since then.

  20. #19
    Uber Guru ridervfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South FL
    Country
    My Ride
    91 VFR 750, 04 EX 500, 89 YSR 50 Calamaried out. 93 VFR 750, 04 EX 500 (parts bike.)
    Posts
    3,443
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 210 Times in 199 Posts
    I swapped out the stock vfr front wheel for an f3 one, lighter wheel, easier turn in etc. Worked out well.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to ridervfr For This Useful Post:

    CandyRedRC46 (03-10-2017)

  22. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Country
    My Ride
    1995 VFR750. GSXR750. 1982 CB900F.
    Posts
    177
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyRedRC46 View Post
    At 460 curb weight, its not bad :)
    I think my ,95 vfr750 is a good handling bike for what it is. It's stable, tracks well, a great handler on most roads. I'm tempted to upgrade the suspension every so often, but then I jump on my 2005 gsxr1000, and realise yet again that the VFR is a heavy bike, and no upgrade of the suspension is going to remove that. The Vfr even with its stock sloppy in comparison suspension handles well and I see no point in upgrading unless you like to tinker, or just like the feel of an improved ride.

  23. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Country
    My Ride
    1995 VFR750. GSXR750. 1982 CB900F.
    Posts
    177
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyRedRC46 View Post
    Well you never had a VFR with a front end swap or much weight reduction so... Lol

    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    No I haven't. But I really don't see how even dropping 30 lbs will change the handling feel much. I had a 1989 gsxr1100 with a stock exhaust which weighed 46 lbs. I put on a full Hindle which dropped 40 lbs. I couldn't really feel much of a difference. There was no wow factor. But boy it looked and sounded good. A well worth "tinker."

  24. #22
    Uber Guru CandyRedRC46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Orlando Florida
    Country
    My Ride
    2007 Honda VFR800 .... 1993 CB750 NightHawk (sold)
    Posts
    3,343
    Thanks
    1,296
    Thanked 351 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMLARCH View Post
    No I haven't. But I really don't see how even dropping 30 lbs will change the handling feel much. I had a 1989 gsxr1100 with a stock exhaust which weighed 46 lbs. I put on a full Hindle which dropped 40 lbs. I couldn't really feel much of a difference. There was no wow factor. But boy it looked and sounded good. A well worth "tinker."
    I have dropped a little over 50 pounds off of my vtec and it does transform the bike. It is not just dropping the weight, but where your are dropping the weight from. Ditch the center stand and evap canister, fit a light weight header or anything else in the low center of the bike and you won't notice too much in the handling department, but it would still aid in acceleration and braking. Now upgrade the slip-on on a vtec and you can easily drop 20 pounds of of the top rear of the bike. Change the battery out for a lithium, ditch the proportioning valve and you are pulling 10 pounds off the top of the bike, which can be felt. Rotational and unsprung weight are big factors too, swapping the front end ditches that big heavy secondary master cylinder and typically adds a lighter front wheel (you get a light weight lower triple too, but thats sprung weight), which are great bonuses on top of getting a much better suspension and brakes. One of the biggest and best weight reductions you can do happens every time you ride the bike, the tank empties, I am sure you can feel the difference of 30 pounds on the very top of your bike. By the way, my comment was directed to Norcal not you.

    Rapid Bike Racing
    Cycle Pro
    Orlando Florida
    (407) 277-5557
    INFO@RAPIDBIKE.US
    http://www.rapidbike.us/

  25. #23
    Uber Guru Lint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Riding Year 'Round in Moorpark
    Country
    My Ride
    1999 Honda VFR
    Posts
    3,552
    Thanks
    1,576
    Thanked 2,042 Times in 1,178 Posts
    I bet if I lost fifty pounds my bike would be happy... I know my wife would be.
    Videat veritatem

    See the truth

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lint For This Useful Post:

    BWeiss (03-14-2017), CandyRedRC46 (04-20-2017)

  27. #24
    Uber Guru CandyRedRC46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Orlando Florida
    Country
    My Ride
    2007 Honda VFR800 .... 1993 CB750 NightHawk (sold)
    Posts
    3,343
    Thanks
    1,296
    Thanked 351 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    The older you get, the easier it gets, to just pull the weight off of the bike instead lol.

    Rapid Bike Racing
    Cycle Pro
    Orlando Florida
    (407) 277-5557
    INFO@RAPIDBIKE.US
    http://www.rapidbike.us/

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to CandyRedRC46 For This Useful Post:

    Lint (03-10-2017)

  29. #25
    Uber Guru

    RVFR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Olympia Wa.
    My Ride
    98 VFR 781 aka 800
    Posts
    7,540
    Thanks
    802
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 805 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Speaking of weight, not that folks haven't tried this, try running around on your favorite set of twists with the tank near empty vs. do it again full, there's big difference.
    Opportunity is where you anticipate it.

    Making the VFR have more get up and go. Header build fund @ https://www.gofundme.com/vfr-header-build

    [

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to RVFR For This Useful Post:

    CandyRedRC46 (04-20-2017)

  31. #26
    Member I0seb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Victoria
    Country
    My Ride
    1999 Honda VFR800FI
    Posts
    70
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 28 Times in 20 Posts
    Some quick teaser shots of all the new bits, haven't had time to properly fit them yet, once that's done it will be time to measure out the new brake lines and figure out how to mount the ignition, I'm tempted to go RFID






  32. The Following User Says Thank You to I0seb For This Useful Post:

    sfbret (03-10-2017)

  33. #27
    Uber Guru NorcalBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    Posts
    3,999
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 746 Times in 540 Posts
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyRedRC46 View Post
    I have dropped a little over 50 pounds off of my vtec and it does transform the bike. It is not just dropping the weight, but where your are dropping the weight from. Ditch the center stand and evap canister, fit a light weight header or anything else in the low center of the bike and you won't notice too much in the handling department, but it would still aid in acceleration and braking. Now upgrade the slip-on on a vtec and you can easily drop 20 pounds of of the top rear of the bike. Change the battery out for a lithium, ditch the proportioning valve and you are pulling 10 pounds off the top of the bike, which can be felt. Rotational and unsprung weight are big factors too, swapping the front end ditches that big heavy secondary master cylinder and typically adds a lighter front wheel (you get a light weight lower triple too, but thats sprung weight), which are great bonuses on top of getting a much better suspension and brakes. One of the biggest and best weight reductions you can do happens every time you ride the bike, the tank empties, I am sure you can feel the difference of 30 pounds on the very top of your bike. By the way, my comment was directed to Norcal not you.
    Yeah, right. I lightened up every single component that could possibly be lightened, removed what could go and including all ti hardware and you aren't going to hit 460 and I am talking wet weight with all fluids and 3/4 tank of fuel. I even had the fucking rotors lightened! But if you wanna live in denial, that's perfectly OK with me. You did make me laugh when you said dropping the stock exhaust was worth 20 pounds, though. Next it's gonna be smaller spark plugs saved 5 pounds....enjoy your 460 pound ride.

  34. #28
    Uber Guru CandyRedRC46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Orlando Florida
    Country
    My Ride
    2007 Honda VFR800 .... 1993 CB750 NightHawk (sold)
    Posts
    3,343
    Thanks
    1,296
    Thanked 351 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Norcal you still had the factory forks, the heavy front wheel, the iron lower triple, the massive secondary master cylinder, the proportioning valve and bracket, the million miles of linked brake lines, a bunch of heat reflecting tape, dual mufflers and I'm sure there's other things I'm forgetting lol. Your build left a lot to be desired and since you were so tight lipped and elusive about any details or dyno numbers, it left a lot to the imagination.

    Also about your slip on comment, yes the factory slip on weighs 28 pounds and my single carbon two brothers weighs three. That's 25 pounds, so say, to be nice I give you five, that is 20 pounds.

    Your build didn't do much for taking off, it was mainly just adding on. Adding pads and SS lines to the overly complex linked brakes. Adding new internals to the budget factory suspension and then throwing a bunch of fancy colored and ti bolts to everything you could find lol.

    I honestly don't even know why your on this page anymore. You don't have a vfr any more and your only contribution is sarcastic remarks and trying to discredit any new ideas for performance mods that you never tried on your vfr when you had one.

    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

    Rapid Bike Racing
    Cycle Pro
    Orlando Florida
    (407) 277-5557
    INFO@RAPIDBIKE.US
    http://www.rapidbike.us/

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to CandyRedRC46 For This Useful Post:

    sfbret (03-10-2017)

  36. #29
    Member I0seb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Victoria
    Country
    My Ride
    1999 Honda VFR800FI
    Posts
    70
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 28 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyRedRC46 View Post
    Norcal you still had the factory forks, the heavy front wheel, the iron lower triple, the massive secondary master cylinder, the proportioning valve and bracket, the million miles of linked brake lines, a bunch of heat reflecting tape, dual mufflers and I'm sure there's other things I'm forgetting lol. Your build left a lot to be desired and since you were so tight lipped and elusive about any details or dyno numbers, it left a lot to the imagination.

    Also about your slip on comment, yes the factory slip on weighs 28 pounds and my single carbon two brothers weighs three. That's 25 pounds, so say, to be nice I give you five, that is 20 pounds.

    Your build didn't do much for taking off, it was mainly just adding on. Adding pads and SS lines to the overly complex linked brakes. Adding new internals to the budget factory suspension and then throwing a bunch of fancy colored and ti bolts to everything you could find lol.

    I honestly don't even know why your on this page anymore. You don't have a vfr any more and your only contribution is sarcastic remarks and trying to discredit any new ideas for performance mods that you never tried on your vfr when you had one.

    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    https://gfycat.com/NippyKindLangur

    Jesus that was a massacre

  37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I0seb For This Useful Post:

    CandyRedRC46 (03-10-2017), sfbret (03-10-2017)

  38. #30
    Uber Guru CandyRedRC46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Orlando Florida
    Country
    My Ride
    2007 Honda VFR800 .... 1993 CB750 NightHawk (sold)
    Posts
    3,343
    Thanks
    1,296
    Thanked 351 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Yeah Ronald has basically been undermining every single modification I have done since 2009.

    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk


    Rapid Bike Racing
    Cycle Pro
    Orlando Florida
    (407) 277-5557
    INFO@RAPIDBIKE.US
    http://www.rapidbike.us/

  39. The Following User Says Thank You to CandyRedRC46 For This Useful Post:

    I0seb (03-11-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fork Swap
    By VFR4EVA in forum 5th Generation 1998-2001
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-10-2013, 02:31 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-26-2013, 08:07 AM
  3. USD fork swap????
    By PingKing in forum 3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-12-2011, 07:51 AM
  4. 6th gen fork swap
    By 02 VFR Rider in forum Mechanics Garage
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 08:45 PM
  5. Fork Swap on Gen 6
    By MileHighInterceptor in forum 6th Generation 2002-2013
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 09:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •