Gen1 Upgrades Interest Anyone?!?!

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by ferrarone, Mar 5, 2017.

1. ferrarone

ferrarone New Member

United States
    Map
    Been a long while since I've posted on the forum, good to see some of the old names are still on the top posters list. Anyways, I've gotten into machining and manufacturing as a hobby and I'm looking to see if I could apply that to the VFR world. Are there any Gen1 upgrades people would like to see? If there's interest in an adapter bracket for bigger brake calipers that would be within my ability, or carburetor improvements I'd be able to handle some of that. A few years down the road I'll be able to work on internal engine components like stronger valves (requiring more skill), or custom brake rotors (requiring larger equipment). Looking for ideas!

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Last summer I cleaned up my '83, and one item I wish I had was and adapter block that would allow me to use modern foot pegs, I could not find anyone that made pegs for the first gens so I cobbled together a cheap set of Chinese pegs to fit original mounts. Also billet shifter and rear brake pedal would be nice.
    [​IMG]

3. ferrarone

ferrarone New Member

United States
    Map
    That's a very good idea. Is there a specific brand or model footpeg unit that seems popular or desirable? An adapter plate would be right up my alley. The only time consuming work would be getting the measurements right, the actual designing of the bracket wouldn't take me much more than an afternoon.

4. ferrarone

ferrarone New Member

United States
    Map
    Also, does anyone have or know where I could find a completely buggered vf500f to use for measurements and fitting test?

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Just wondering what you would like to do to improve carbs ?

6. ferrarone

ferrarone New Member

United States
    Map
    Some things I'm working on as improvements are:
    - Aluminum vent tubes to replace the plastic ones that that seem to break with time; somebody on eBay is already doing this at insane prices.
    - Stamped & polished aluminum carburetor tops, they wouldn't pit like the chromed steel ones do.
    - Velocity stacks, but the technology and the why they work is beyond me. I'd need help designing this, the making of it is very basic though. At least on a cnc lathe.

Some basic oem style replacement parts I'm working on are:
    - Injection molded vent tubes made of Delrin plastic, Honda sometimes is out of stock of these parts all together (they were during my first build).
    - Insulator boots to replace the OEM ones. I've got a mold of these made already but I'm still looking for a plastic product that is soft enough but still gasoline resistant.
    - Float bowl gaskets. I have a mold of these too - easiest one I've ever made - but still on the hunt for a soft plastic that is injectable like the insulator boots.

So for the carburetors nothing really ground breaking, just replacement parts that are out of stock or some little improvements.

7. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    I'd like to see a titanium shifter tie rod. I was going to make one until I noticed the left hand threads.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

8. MFTIC

MFTIC New Member

United States
    Maybe for some nicer rearsets? Woodcraft or Vortex? Not sure as that starts to put more money into it then i'd want.

Would be interested in a mount for the phone thou! No real estate on the bars. Didn't want to ruin the fuse cover but that would be the perfect place for it. Right below the key.