Fitting 4th Generation signal lights on a 3rd Generation VFR

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Hingley, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    Today it is -13c, (8f) with a strong wind so it is a good day to do some reading on the form
    I am intrigued on the idea of integrating 4th Gen. rear signal lights into the rear tail light locations on a 3rd Gen.
    I have looked on the Webb and it sounds like you need the rear signal lights from a 1994 and newer VFR and replace the original brake lights on the sides of the main brake light on the 3rd Gen.
    does this sound correct?
    If so how badly do you have to cut the original wiring to hook into the original signal light wiring?
    Does the 1994-1997 signal light Lens assembly fit into the older 1990-1993 brake light lens location without a lot of messing around?
    By chance does anyone have a picture or two of the result?

2. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    No cutting, just remove 3rd gen, insert 4th gen and insert turn signals. Been done about a million times.

Larry

3. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I went to Germany in 1992 and found a set of the amber turn signals at a Honda dealership and brought them back with me. I think I sold them for $100.00. Then the bike came back in on trade in. The signals came out and I sold them again for another $100. Then the '94 came out.

4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Funny, i got a right hand switch off ebay from Austria, they would only take euros for it and would not send it to the US. Wife was going to germany any way, sent switch to her moms house there and she paid with her European bank account. We skyped and she showed me the switch. Got it and everything worked, I can turn my head lights off with a switch.

Was gona do the amber blinker swap but ended up keeping the reds. I did manage to pick up a un-cut rear fender 4 my 93 which is pretty rare. :peace:

5. 750

750 New Member

Why would anyone want amber indicators when you can have icey ice cold clear ones so easily?!

6. Droldaerd

Droldaerd New Member

From where?

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    White or clear plastic lens' can be tinted with the ink from a permanent marker. Another one is a mix of analine wood dyestain and thinned down shellac. Bulbs can be tinted with the permanent marker ink as well. Theater suppliers sell small bottles of "paints" used to tint spotlights.

Same deal with Liquid RIT dyes and the dry versions. All are alcohol and hot solvent soluble.

8. Droldaerd

Droldaerd New Member

Where do you obtain clear ones?

9. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I have a 1991, so no problem. What you might check is if the current len's are tinted all the way through or just on the inner surface. You might want to check using one or more of the online suppliers for non-OEM replacement lens'.

10. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
  11. Make56

Make56 New Member

Finland
    Map
  12. JZH

JZH New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Except that 3rd gen rear turn signals are on stalks, which don't plug in quite so easily into 4th gen lenses. Unless someone has already converted the existing red lenses to be turn signals, new bulb holders would have to be sourced and spliced into the existing wiring. It's not a difficult job, and Honda's used the same bulb holders in dozens of bikes, so they're easy to find.

Before I moved to Europe I bought my first set of amber rear turn sigs (at no minor expense) from a British "breaker" in '93...only for Honda to bloody put them on the 4th gen, so I could have just waited and bought them from a US Honda dealer...

Ciao,