Expedition Tent

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by A.M, Mar 7, 2017.

1. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

2. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Every review I've seen on them is very good, the only complaint being the weight .... 14 lbs 6 oz ... ouch.

For comparison, my Eureka Midori 2 is 4 lbs 7 oz.

As for the price, I didn't think it was hefty at all ... it seems in line with other quality tents of that size, a good tent will typically cost up in that range.

3. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Two sleeping bags, maybe two motos also? That's pretty dang cool!

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I think you are packing a lot of material you don't need with that. A cover for your bike to totally unnecessary in your world AM. There is also a lot of material in that system that is there only to cover your gear. I suggest the gear be left in the bikes luggage if there is a threat of wet weather while you are camped.

I haven't seen your tent and gear AM but you have done a lot of travel on that bike and would probably be a go to person for many of us wanting to do the same. I would appear that you have this thing pretty much mastered. Before I bought that, I would consider how much more bulk you would be carrying. I think you are loaded pretty much as much as you should given your stature. Then I would look at what I already had and see if there is something that can be improved on. If no, put the money n the tank.

5. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Her tent is a little small - she'd be well served by upgrading from that 1-man tent to a 2-man tent so she has storage for her gear in under the fly.

I agree - that's a lot of extra material and weight just to cover your bike. She already carries a bike cover with her as it is.

6. A.M

The reviews are great. I'm hoping to get some more detail.

May have to lurk ADVrider for comprehensive reviews.

As for the price, I don't think it is an unreasonable asking price...

But it is still hefty, especially on a teacher salary.

So before I shell out that kind of money on a shelter I need to make sure I exert due diligence in finding out if it's worth it for me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

7. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    OOC ... what advantage are you hoping to gain with it over your current setup?

8. A.M

Now if two people went in on it for sharing then I would feel better about splitting the cost to experiment with it.

But alas, I have yet to find someone who can keep up with me.

9. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Did you check out that tent the gal used in her one year adventure? Pretty cool and if IRC 2.6 lbs, plus the moto is kept inside as well.

10. VF1000Fe

VF1000Fe New Member

Canada
    Gypsy

Think "Outside the Tent". (get another cheap tent)
    [​IMG]
    Can store your other junk in there for the night too.

Though Entry & Exit can become Gong Show.
    [​IMG]

Northern California Coast, Circa 1988

11. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Challenge accepted...

12. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    :rolleyes:

13. A.M

Moto and gear outta sight.
    The illusion more than one single person is in there by herself...anoyher potential layer of throwing off a human predator.

14. A.M

Haha!! Awesome!! I could do something like that. On my own that would be a double gong show!!

15. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
  16. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    I understand why you would want to try to project this appearance and it makes sense, however I'm not sure a tent for your moto will achieve this. The situations you're in in which you are camping tend to have static populations, meaning people aren't going to campsites to cruise looking for crimes to commit - the people there are staying there. People are going to see you arrive alone, see you do stuff alone, etc. I think as far as comfort is concerned, you'd be much, much better served with a larger tent and a more comfortable portable chair or something (REI makes a great little 2 pound chair that I take on my road trips/camping trips).

As far as safety goes, if you choose to stay at small, isolated campgrounds away from towns and the RVs and whatnot, you couldn't be safer. Being judicious about *where* you sleep is the best strategy to use for keeping safe. I can draw on not just one, but about a dozen lifetimes spent camping and backpacking outdoors (two generations of extended family and inlaws, all hunters and backpackers), and it's a very, very safe community space barring the big, overcrowded KOAs and National Park campsites. My girlfriend doesn't come from that background and she can't believe how cavalier I am about my stuff at the small, remote campsites I favor. I have to tell her every time: barring rare exceptions, criminals don't go camping, and I'm convinced they simply never go backpacking.

Obviously, your peace of mind and objectives are most important, but I think a big (3-4 person) backpacking tent is going to give you a ton more room for the same price, less than half the weight, and probably about 1/4 the space while packed up.

17. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    That makes total sense, especially considering some of the events that occurred in your travels last summer before reaching us in the Black Hills.

I'm not sure this is really a solution, but I suppose if you're OK with the cost and the added weight, it wouldn't hurt. I think that tyarosavich's advice is fairly sage - though I know you often travel outside of the typical 'camping' season which means you often don't see the usual tourist RV/Camper/Tent traffic that others see.

I think you might be better served with low budget motels, hostels, and / or camping in fellow riders / acquaintances yards for safety when traveling in these off-seasons ... or just finding a travel buddy to go with you on these trips if you're concerned about safety.

Alternatively, pack some heat. I'm sure Rusty would be happy to help you in that area.

18. A.M

I appreciate the advice, but I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to find a more sturdy and long term use tent.

I'm not giving up camping. I think I'm better served doing what I love.

I do have heat already, thank you, I don't need help securing weapons.

Not all carry laws and licenses are transferable state to state though or even into Canuckistan... so thinking of self defense, that's not an option.

And...these reasons listed were just some added reasons for picking a more long term shelter like this. If I'm looking for something like this I wanna hear if it's worth it in that way. I should have clarified in my original post better...

I'm looking for a more long term non-temporary shelter. Better than a single person tent. I have room for me and my gear in my single person and under the fly already.

I'm evaluating alternatives for me and seeking advice on who has used the tent. I'm not looking for a solution to anything. I'm looking for possible improvements in shelter.

19. A.M

This is a good alternative I have not considered. This would give plenty of space. I like the big tent because it provides hiding of the moto. But I could also accomplish that by two tents or a tent and tarp.

What you and Jeff mentioned about camping in off seasons and certain areas is true. However I have been bothered in campsites. The most notable was in a KOA. Safety will always be an issue because I'm a female alone.

There are very few people that consider traveling with me. So I'm always looking out no matter where I am. But thinking into the future, I'm always trying to find ways to improve my odds on the road.

20. A.M