Is there anyone that has used a "lowering kit" on the 8th gen?

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Bubba Utah, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I went on ebay to look at things that they had for the 8th gen VFR and I came across a "lowering kit". Has anyone used one or know "I will sound like a idiot here" does it play out. I am guessing that it just lowers the rear? I know Anne has done different things due to her height and I do have a 28" inseam being 5' 9" I would like to lower the bike a bit. The kit says it will lower the bike 1"-5". Let me know. Thanks

Mike D.

2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
  3. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Come on now Mike you should know better than to mention products and not provide a link. Shame on you:wink:
    Generally they just lower the rear and you need to drop forks as a result alter sidestand too I would presume.

Haven't seen any myself, my mate seems to do fine on his and he is shorter than you. he does have the seat in the lowest position.

4. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    5'5 here, seat on lowest setting and do fine. Did lower my ZX10R and drop it through the forks, had no choice really.

5. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Shave the seat, dont ruin the bike.

6. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    For sure. It will never handle as well lowered. You can adjust the geometry but still won't be as good.

7. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

I agree with CandyRed...

Shaving the seat was the best thing I did for me.

I still struggle, but it felt awesome knowing I could manage by just cutting foam.

I realize that may make a ride on a stock seat like torture for some. But I lucked out...I'm not bothered at all by my seat. It was a cheap enough thing to try after getting advice from here so if I messed it up or muh arse couldn't take it, oh well...just buy another stock seat.

I've been contemplating the Lust Racing links way, but every time I shop around lately and come across them, I close the window.

How much can you touch on it now?
    I'm 5'2" with 28 inch inseam and I was on the extreme tips of muh shoes to touch...before I shaved the seat.
    Now I'm more on my toes.

So maybe if you haven't messed with the seat, and feel comfortable with it, you could give a shaving a go.

8. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Lower...ash=item41b0da3dbe:g:LOQAAOSwaB5XmRIS&vxp=mtr
    My bad!

9. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
  10. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I can't say if this is the same kit as one member had on her bike but it was the same type (adjustable dog bone) and hers broke while riding home one Thanksgiving. They actually closed the freeway down so they could get her bike safely off the road. Similar to AM's oil leak incident, she was lucky she didn't crash and get seriously hurt.

If you're adamant about lowering the bike, vice altering the seat, I'd stick with the Lust Racing kit and not the kit you posted.

11. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Thanks Anne or Squeekcicle:) I think that your 2006 had a wider seat? As I remember that one of the big change for the '14- is a more narrow bike with the radiators or radiator in front. I really can't see taking anything off the 2014 stock seat. I think that I am fine but, I have not been on the bike for 5 months and If I remember I have the ball of the foot down. I really would like to have the entire foot flat. But, this is a minimal issue for me. I just saw the product and thought I would seek the wisdom of the group and the experience. Thanks for the advice! I will see the bike on Friday after getting it out of the dealers shop with new tires. I CANT FRICKEN WAIT!;-)

P.S. as noted by my previous posts on the tail tidy. Plastic and I do not mix and that includes foam. I would probably sit down one Sunday afternoon, take the seat off, get out the osculating tool out and destroy the seat entirely. Then I would go to the fridge drink some beer and have another beer induced rage episode and throw the seat away or cut it up! Then with my cussing and noise from throwing everything out of the garage my neighbors would call the police and I would be ridiculed by not one, but probably 3 or 4 johnny laws (Because, that how it works in Utah, Bastards always come in groups);-). without result cost would be around $400:)

12. A.M

Like OOTV mentioned about the dogbone type...lots of accounts of them breaking just from what I've come across researching lowering kits over the years.

I'm not sure I've read anything specific to the kit that you are talking about. So I'm sorry I don't have any first-hand experience with that, especially on your gen, and can't give any real advice on thread topic. Only that Lust seems to be trouble free.

About the seat, I do remember how wide mine was. I cut a whole bunch of foam out of the sides. But it sounds like you don't need to mess with the seat...or shouldn't...at least you know your limitations LOL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

13. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Man up Bubba, if I can manage, you can.:playful:

fullsizeoutput_1054.jpg

14. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    Depending on how much you ride or especially if you tour, you may seriously want to consider getting your seat custom formed. A friend who rides a 5th gen and another with a FJR sing the praises of Seth Lamb:
    http://laamseats.com/

The 5th gen rider is on this site, SCguy. Here is a picture of his bike with the custom seat:
    [​IMG]

I'm sure if you PM him, he'd give you some details.

15. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Bubba, no complaints here at all--- Stoshmonster is the one that turned me onto Lust Racing--- bumped the fort tubes up 10mm and shortened the side stand.
    I actually think it handles better, oh and I shaved the inner thigh part of my stock seat. And with both ends done by Jamie ya it's great.
    At 5'6 it's perfect for me.
    JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map

I don't know Squeaks, sometimes lust can cause all sorts of problems... :dog::hss::biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new:

17. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry, what are we talking about again? I saw shaving and lust and got all flustered...

18. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map

:worked_till_5am::bull_head::blue::livid:

OMG, never heard of this before !!

Finest Chinese #3-quality materials, no doubt, something you can really depend upon..........to fail soon. Wrong ? Or something an engineer never saw ?

I refuse to capitulate to the use of any inferior Chinese parts whatsoever on my VFRs!: It's my credo for now.

In the OP's case, i'd advise raising the forks about 5mm in the clamps, not alot but a noticeable difference i think.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  19. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
  20. A.M

Haha great pull...love that song!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk