Screwed- or not.

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by leafy2, Mar 9, 2017.

1. leafy2

leafy2 New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi, I've got a '96 750, and following a low speed off due to a pile of gravel in the road I've almost finished restoring the sickle to it's former state of loveliness. One of the parts that needed replacing was the offside (That's the RHS in case you needed clarification) upper fairing i.e. the piece that the mirror bolts on to. I got a replacement off eBay, whipped off the whole front fairing/headlight assembly and, after swapping the damaged section put it back into place. All went well until I got to the very last bolt, in this case the rearmost screw that holds the black inner piece to the "ear" of the screen support. Normally this would be a straightforward job- an M5 screw fits into a steel threaded insert that is moulded into the inside face of the fairing. Unfortunately thought in my case this has been subjected to some non-precision engineering in the past, resulting in the aforementioned insert going AWOL, leaving a sizeable hole that even the largest of my self tappers won't deal with. I've got several solutions rattling round in my head but none seem perfect so before committing myself I wondered if anyone out there had encountered a similar state of affairs, and if so how did you get on with surmounting it? As an aside I've also fitted a new screen, an Airblade double bubble. This is the second one I've fitted (on different 4th Gen VFRs) and on both occasions I've found that the screw mount mentioned above doesn't line up correctly with the relevant hole in the screen, necessitating a slight remodelling with the Dremel. Not a huge problem and I only mention it because I'd love to know if anyone else has had this problem. There again it could be the tropical heat of the East Midlands in the UK causing the ABS to distort...

2. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    Hi,
    I also have an airblade that 'almost fits' though on a NC35... dremals are the tool for this - though I've now gone back to standard OEM screen...

Try a helicoil for the fairing.

3. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
  4. scottbott

scottbott Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    how about trying 'Rivnuts',easy to use and can be bought in different sizes,where abouts are you?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Can you post up some photos of exactly the nut you are speaking of? On the 6th gen, almost all if not all the nuts attached direct to the plastics where a bolt will go into is a brass thread encased in rubber outer part. As you tighten the bolt into the nut, it compresses the rubber which seals against the side of the plastic. If that is what is buggered up, you can get replacements for these "well nuts" easily at many places. The other type of nut I can think of is one that has a very rough outer side of the nut that is forced into a smaller hole in the plastics. You should be able to get those readily as well. IF the plastic socket where that nut fits into is stripped of its ability to hold the nut, you should be able to affix that nut to the socket in the plastic with some epoxy if you are careful with this.

A photo would make it more clear as to what you are trying to deal with. Ten again, if I had a 96, I might know exactly what you are referring to.

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    "... different 4th Gen VFRs) and on both occasions I've found that the screw mount mentioned above doesn't line up correctly with the relevant hole in the screen, necessitating a slight remodelling with the Dremel. Not a huge problem and I only mention it because I'd love to know if anyone else has had this problem. "

Had the same problem with a '97 after a small crash. I used brute force on the fairing stay to bend it into position so the hole lined up well enough.