F3 wheel swap and fork options

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by f3racer, Mar 10, 2017.

1. f3racer

f3racer New Member

I see a bunch of info on swapping cbr f2 stuff on an 83 vf750f but I was wondering if an f3 rear wheel would work. Also what front end options do I have? I would like swap and entire front end with upside down forks but can't find much info on that either. I'll be racing AHRMA next year and I need better tire and suspension options.

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Pretty sure F3 rear is doable (hell, almost anything is doable), but the dimensions of needed spacers and/or machining could be different than an F2 conversion. When researching F2 conversions for my 86 VFR700F, I found some conflicting data regarding F3 rear wheels.

Front ends become harder on that bike because of the length of most modern USD fork assemblies are simply too short. That's when you start reading about custom triples or problematic mounting of clip-ons below the top triple. Or creating a traditional handlebar set-up like Freddie Spencer's (and others) HRC bike. 41mm VF1000R forks (which are extremely similar to what Honda was using on their VF750F race bikes) can be a good period correct option with some Race Tech Gold Valves.

3. f3racer

f3racer New Member

Thanks. I guess I'll just send the forks of to Daugherty instead and see if he thinks his f2 wheel kit will work on an f3 wheel.