Verification of Wiring Recall (2004, w/pics)? Low Beams went out, bulbs good...

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by ridnout, Mar 18, 2017.

1. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Please help me identify if the Wiring Recall has been done to this 2004?

I've read a bunch of threads on the subject, some with pics but with the wires bundled and many with other repairs/mods alongside the factory recalled replacements. If someone with the mod can say yes or no with identification of the differences would be great!

(1) I did not see any punches or initials stamped into frame near the VIN.

(2) I have some scorching as can be seen. Haven't consulted the manual yet, but three wires coming from opposite side all yellow are probably from the three-phase stator. IMG_4545.jpg

Here are some more pics: IMG_4546.jpg IMG_4547.jpg IMG_4548.jpg

(1) Low beams went out; high beams work.
    (2) I see a heat damage on the connectors. IMG_4553.jpg

Before I check the switch-gear, left and right, or the relay I'd like a bit of input.

(3) The fuse is intact and at least passes continuity (looks good visually too and replaced with another for good measure)...
    (4) Voltage present at the input of the fuse and ground (12.77~12.89 with bike off & 12.41 with bike on but not running).
    (5) No voltage present when bike on, low beam selected. A few (or less) tenths present when high beams selected (little leakage, probably inductive coupling in the wiring of the harness).
    (6) Voltage at fuse when bike running at idle (warm here, not fast-idle) and at 5000 RPM and beyond pretty much rock solid at 14.67-14.68V. Taken at fuse because of convenience.

Some of that good old sage VFRWorld experience?

Thanks.

2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    It seems like a local Honda service department should be able to give you the answer.
    All they would need is the VIN #.

3. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    In my reading on VFRDiscussion.com, I've read that could be a bit chancy. A couple had horrid nightmares until they changed dealerships. I don't have any experience with any motorcycle dealerships; that said, I purchased a fifth and a sixth pre-owned and do the work myself. I will have to give the two or three here in town a call and investigate their reputations.

Thanks; and I still extend the question for experience and maybe some pictures...

Additional info:

* Visited Talus's Gallery on VFRDiscussion.com, and my harness looks like his, at least the visible section. In addition, there's a good tell-tale; although not nearly as severe or overall as many as his scorched and melted connectors, one set piqued my interest-->the stator wiring, yellow. Yup.

Anyone got any pictures of the install without mods or mutilations?

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  4. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    I'm thinking that if Honda paid a dealership service department to do the recall, they would keep track of the VIN #'s , in case the bike showed up again for the same recall.

5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    If that burned connector is your stator wires, then there is ample instances reported here where the connector is poor and people are cutting that connector off and soldering the wires instead. I have not done that and am on my third stator. Then again, I have over 200,000 km on mine. This is definitely worth looking at. A step by step diagnosis we affectionately refer to as "the drill" was put together by respected member here, mello dude.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/52131-The-Drill?highlight=the+drill

As far as the wiring recall goes, that is a life time of the bike warranty thing. Just go into a reasonable Honda dealership with the VIN. A quick check on their computers should tell them if it has been done. If not, book and appointment. It is free. Do that before the drill as the wiring repairs done by Honda may affect some of the changes you may make while or after doing "the drill"

6. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    On tomorrow I will make contact with one of the Honda Powersports dealerships. As far as "the Drill" goes, thanks. I just wanted to have the dealership do their thing first. Some like to deny or point blame based upon this or that mod. I've got stages to go to get this Sybil of mine to a proper everyday commuter (More to come).

I've replaced a regulator on my 5th Gen going through the proper diagnosis procedure, not really difficult. The stator was fine. Soldering the connections and slipping over some quality 3M shrink wrap tubing instead of the connectors is a wise decision. Connectors that carry relatively large amounts of current are always prone to some type of failure. With the rest of the circuitry being of a quality design, connectors usually are the locations of the failure modes, over time developing corrosion at the points of contact creating high impedance (reads high resistance) contacts. With that said and the higher than normal resistance, "I Squared R" losses --> Heat.

I've even seen on certain preamplifiers and power amplifiers where every connection was removed and soldered which resulted in cooler running and even better sound quality.

Having screwed around with cars and trucks and understanding the value of space and weight consciousness and cost, I am still baffled by motorcycle electrical systems. Compared to the 5th gen (it has its flaws too), the spaghetti seems all over the place with several sub-harnesses. Yup, I know it makes it a heck of a lot easier to manufacture and replace pieces than an entire monolithic assembly.

I just wanted someone to take a look see and say, umm, yup, nope after reading on VFRDiscussion a few horrid stories and wanting to buff up before taking it to a stealership.

7. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Just finished making the call. Called one near home home, as the ones here are closed today. The service guy remembered a buddy who had one with those same symptoms before the issued recall. After checking, he noted no warranty claims or recalls done for the bike. Guess it's off to Honda, either here or home home. I hope this ends well. My bike hasn't any mods to date aside from a new Galfer's rear rotor with Kevlar pads along with some maintenance like coolant system flush, oil change, purge/clean/refill/prime clutch fluid. Afterwards, I will start the planned cleaning, fairing swap, lowering, etc. I have most of the stuff already.

Thanks!