Header Wrap (Some on Way)

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by ridnout, Mar 19, 2017.

1. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    At some point, I am going to clean up Jackie's (My fifth gen) headers (already removed) and use them on my 6th gen (Sybil).

Anyway any recommendations for cleaning the rust? Been thinking about soaking in vinegar.

Anyway again...Have some DEI Titanium Header Wrap and Fasteners on the way (the lava rock stuff), 2" x 50ft. I'm guesstimating that it is enough for the headers and mid-pipe. Been reading good stuff about their brand online and here too. Enough? Not enough?

OKAY, for the bigger and prolly more stupid question--> The headers are covered in surface rust. After cleaning, would adding some aluminum foil around them before the addition of the wrap help to repel moisture from rain...? I just want them to last until I can afford another header, as I'm preparing Sybil and constantly doing smallish buys and things with Jackie.

Advice? Oh yeah, Jet Hot Coatings and outsourcing is out of the question for now. Oh, I don't have a large enough oven either.

Oh yeah, had a racing buddy back in college who raced an MR-2. We put on his coated headers, and he didn't follow the curing process--> Corn flakes anyone?

2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Haven't used it on steel but always use baking soda with vinegar to clean just about everything
    Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. CatHerder

CatHerder New Member

United States
    Map
    Don't think I'd do the foil.

4. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Ditto - dont think I would so the foil thing. -- I did the rusty header thing quite awhile back... -- heres what I did. Mostly sand the living shit outta it with drywall sponge sanding blocks and get it all clean looking. (There great because there flexible and easy to grip. ) Then painted several coats with....
    http://www.thermotec.com/products/hi-heat-coating.html
    Its got to cure up for a few days, but then I went ahead and did the header wrap thing. When all done and installed, do a 5 minute run, shut down, sit 30 min, 10 minute run, shut down and another 30 min. --- Its gonna smoke/stink to high heaven, but it will take multiple cycles of this to get it all cured off.

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I wouldn't advise to wrap any exhaust. It tends to make thing worse than better. But then, Guess I should ask why though?

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Mixing off the shelf baking soda and vinegar produces water, carbon dioxide gas and sodium acetate. Separately they make fair cleaning agents, ie one neutralizes the other.

7. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    I wouldn't waste my time and money cleaning up the headers, just to wrap them and make them worse. Wrap is terrible for headers, it traps heat and moisture and speeds up the heat cycle/aging process. Just send them to a ceramic coater and they will strip them inside and out and ceramic coat them inside and out. It should cost less than $200, protect them for years and look even better than brand new.

8. Badbilly

United States
    There are several high temp paints on the market that work fine too. Even the rattlecan Barbeque black is suitable.

9. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Hmm, what happened to my reply email notifications? Oh well.

Anyway, got the wrap in today and didn't manage to remember to purchase the ties. Dohhh!

Will 50ft be enough? Thinking a definite maybe.

Read this thread http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/38683-Header-Wrap

Ceramic coating would be awesome and at $200 is a good price. I remember Jet-Hot quoting me nearly $700 for an MX-6 V6 stainless header. I have two VFRs and am trying to stretch the coin which now is zilch. Just bought OEM trunk, mount, and saddlebags, and matching key set and top cowl frame stay (wrong one at that, OMG)... In addition, a steel braided HEL clutch cable for the '04 and Euro lights. A thread is coming on my learning curve and mistakes. Also got a 6TH Gen throttle body assembly ($.99 + S&H) and 5TH Gen wiring harness for my spare 5TH Gen engine for experimentation later or a build. Oh yea, got the carbon canister in yesterday. That was another $0.99 buy.

Those Mutazu bags were nice and the correct color minus the missing decal, but the friggin brackets were total garbage prompting me to send them back. In addition, the rest of the kit was missing, and I was out for the OEM look/quality. Only thing is, they will be the dark variety red, R-258 I believe from David Spares. When they get trashy, hopefully I'll have them painted (when the 5TH Gen gets painted).

Oh back on task, this is just a temporary fix, as I do plan on getting a Delkevic for the 5TH (no performance gain) and use the old original rusty 5TH gen with wrap on the '04 with the Pipercross (fitted yesterday), PCIII (on hand but needing to buy eliminators or grab some 330 Ohmers from the down hall lab or personal lab). I figure that's cheaper than getting the cat removed. In addition, I may be even able to sell'em on eBay for a little bit to go towards another needed purchase.

Anyway, here's something I just read, "All you are going to get here is very opinionated views from different people. Some will know what they are talking about others will have absolutely no clue, you won't be able to tell the difference anyways.

One of the biggest problems with exhaust in general is it attracts moisture due to the nature of heating and cooling things above and to ambient temperature rapidly. When you get into more quality exhaust that uses stainless it is even more sensitive to continuously heat cycling welds and metal.

In my opinion heat wrap works and works well in both lowering temperature in engine bays and in maintaining temperature in exhaust systems and for a much smoother drawn out thermal gradient during cool down. This helps extend the life of all metals. The downside is that the wrap holds moisture and fluids MUCH better than metal (obviously). So if the vehicle is not ran often to burn off this moisture, then the obvious heat, air, and water mixture is a recipe for rust. Keeping the heat in while operating the engine (especially a turbo engine) is ideal since it helps with exhaust gas efficiency. As long as EGTs are in check to begin with, there is no issue with maintaining a temperature rather than having a continuous cycling of heating and cooling.

I have been heat wrapping all of my modified cars for over a decade now. I have not in any instance ever had a header, downpipe, or exhaust system rot out or crack from the wrap. If anything, it fails where there is NOT any wrap. I guess it could also come down to climate as well. With all that being said, spend the extra money and ONLY get DEI's Titanium wrap if you decide to wrap your equipment. "

Maybe painting then wrapping would be beneficial? The '04 will have been my daily driver. It's not getting the sit and park thing. Here in MS, I've driven year round, 12 or 14K miles I believe this year. I wasn't toooo concerned about them vaporizing in the long run but the comments are as I've researched. That Cool-It looks tempting as well as the BBQ grill paint.

Oh yeah, KandyKidd & BadWillie... Just wanted to do that. Anyway, is your name really Willie? All of my friends named Billie or Bill have Willie as their real names.

This isn't standard Fiberglass Mat but the Lava Rock Stuff. Any experience?

We will see how this goes, and I may provide pics and details. Oh yes, this may be long in the tooth, as I'm doing a good bit at the moment.

Thanks. Got some more questions too. Going to open another thread.

10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map

11. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Been like this for a while now. I decided to visit the general settings and make a check. I saved the old settings after toggling a few back and forth to the originals. I hope this helps. We will know soon.

On the "WHY" from above? Having two VFRs and in grad school with funding ending (-ed), I'm strapped but will to continue on a shoe string. I had always been perplexed with the OCD thing and doing more planning than doing. This way I get to experience more and not be postponed by the best alternative. As a mathematician budding into an engineer, the analytic is fine; compromise is real; it is the domain in which I live in now. Hello pragmatism! I am always reminded by the words of a P.E., "What engineer doesn't want to go back and make changes? Get it done. Does it fit design specs?"

I want to experience what the 6TH Gen can do with the PCIII, 5TH Gen exhaust dimensions without cat, Pipercross air filter, and proper maintenance (tensioner check and rewind as found on YouTube, valve inspection/maintenance, TB synchronization, and new plugs...) Wanted to clean those pitted things up and decrease the radiated heat from the steed while trying to keep them from rotting before purchasing more pristine/permanent after finishing (sorta) the 5TH. The 6TH Gen is an exercise in all out frugality from its purchase to maintenance and upgrading. Jeez, these bags have cost me the love!

The '99 is similar, but for some mods and painting (waiting on the best eBay and forum prices and such), I will be outsourcing some items like custom triples and front wheel axle for the RC51 SP1 forks...

P.S. My girlfriend is sooooo forgiving and understanding, I've got a town home den full of boxes of VFR stuff! She says that I should see the smile on my face when I get off the bikes and that nothing else compares.

12. Badbilly

United States
    Calling me Willie would upset me mum. She told me she went to school with a Willie who use to pick his nose in class.

Consider the position of the headers and associated exhaust pipes. Wrap may do no harm or OTOH no good in most instances. If the wrap is wet and the bike is parked inside or outside the mild steel is going to oxidise.

CR may have further schooling on the subject at the graduate level and less than 99 centavos a pop.

13. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Aiight Billy Boy Boy Boy Boy Boy...

During high school (jr years), one of our schools counselors used to riiiiiiddddeee me. She wasn't even my assigned counselor. When I got hired, she still remained; helped me out a bunch my first year teaching. One of the funniest things was that both her jobs were about a mile from her home. Her daily driver never warmed up. One day her exhaust just fell out at the red light! Header, pipes and all!!!

She never allowed it too burn off all the built up condensation from cool mornings and nights and water vapor during those short rides. Well, she purchased a new daily the next day to complement her Sunday vehicle.

Me mum sounds British.

14. Badbilly

United States
    I read about those teachers riding students more and more lately. I hope yours wasn't a porker.

If you're not sure about yer mum's place of birth, ask her. Me mum is from Nebraska. A farm girl but not "The Farm Girl".