what blue tooth headsets do you like?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by showmerider, Mar 20, 2017.

1. showmerider

showmerider New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm in the market for some new headsets. I'm wanting some with speakers that are loud and clear enough to understand with earplugs in and a mic that is good enough that it picks up my voice and not the wind. Any suggestions?

2. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Cardo Packtalk is the cats ass. I love mine. The Sena S20 is also a fantastic equivalent.

I know people with the Sena's and their battery doesn't seem to last as long when we ride.

3. Check6

Check6 New Member

United States
    Map
    Uclear AMP. Got a twin pack for riding the HD with my wife. Liked it so much I ordered an extra set of headphones for the helmet I wear on the VFR.

4. showmerider

showmerider New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks, I'll do some research on them. The ones I have now I can barely hear if I go over 75

5. rvmiller

rvmiller New Member

United States
    Map
    I started with an Sena SMH5 - their most affordable, and it works great; have had it for several years. Now I have a Sena 20S which is vastly improved: Speakers are waaay better and it has an "App" for your cell

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

6. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    I like and have had the Sena 10 for about two years now

7. RhINO

RhINO New Member

Sweden
    Map
    I have the Sena 20s and I'm pleased with it. The only thing I don't like is the time I get from "the battery is low"-warning until power off :)
    I've talked to people on the phone while riding and no one believes me when I tell them I'm on my bike. (you're allowed to do that in Sweden so far at least)

8. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Just a bit of extra info ... I wear earplugs on the interstates and can hear my music and the people I talk with clearly with my Cardo PackTalk.

9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

If you're just planning on using it solo, i.e. not as a rider to rider intercom, just about any of the products from the leaders should do. (Sena, Cardo, UClear) However, if going for rider to rider and/or in larger groups, the Cardo Packtalk is very hard to beat. Like Jeff, I also wear earplugs and can hear music and conversation fairly well, however, the noisier the helmet the more important speakers/earphones become.

I recently upgraded my speakers to the larger 40mm (vs. 32mm stock) and it made an even bigger difference. My helmet is a Shoei GT-Air and I also have the spacer pads in place. These allow the speakers to sit closer to your ears and it definitely helps with the stock speakers.

10. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

My complaint about my Sena 10 as well.
    Another is the boom would fly off. Lost two of them. That could be a problem with my helmet and wind flow tho. Fixed a foam paint brush end on it tho and works fine.

But for price and the fact I've had it for almost 30,000 miles and it's been through hell on the road with me...its a super unit.

11. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I have the Sena10 and like it very much. I agree that the time from low battery warning to shut down is far to short. But I also wear plugs and can hear the music and coms quite well. My first set was a Chatter Bix and it sucked. Then again, that was earlier in the technology so they may be better now.

When I am on a longer trip, I plug in and run not only my Sena off the bike's battery, but also the cell phone so don't have to worry abot battery anymore.

A couple things to keep in mind:

1. The better your helmet is at ventilation, the less it will be at producing clear sound. You can't have that both ways uness you wear ear buds. I know the Sena you can get ear buds in place of speakers. If you have the ear buds, you can eliminate the ear plugs as the buds will serve the same purpose while allowing you to reduce the volume, if that is what you are wanting.

2. Your mic placement is a real issue. It should not be placed right in front of your mouth. That really distorts your voice to those you are communication with. Mine is located lower to the right of the helmet. Tucked in behind the chin curtain. This cuts down on the road and wind noise being transmitted through your mic. If you are broadcasting through your mic, you are using far more battery power and this reduces the battery life. Again placement of the mic is critical to eliminate this. You will also be thanked by those who you are riding with so they don't have to listen to all that wind noise. Also make sure you have foam over the mic. That also reduces the wind noise. Same principal as reporters covering storms using mics that look like the Queen's Own Guards hats. If you can get a wrap around curtain that goes all the way around your neck and attaches some how to the bottom of your lid, that would be optimum.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  12. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    One reason why I prefer a wired unit like the autocom. Lasts all day.

One thing most folk don't do is to take the time to set it up properly. Microphone and speaker positioning make all the difference between being able to clearly hear( even with ear plugs) and other folk hearing you. Simple things like a bit of tape over the inside chin ventilation or wearing a buff can improve the outside noise no end

13. showmerider

showmerider New Member

United States
    Map
    I looked up the packtalk at Revzilla, $492 for a pair of them, WOW, not cheap! But none of them are. The Sena 10s was about a hundred bucks cheaper for a pair if I remember right. I might go with them. Any body got a secret place to buy them cheap??

14. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    My MacGuyver is still in place? :lol:

15. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I wouldn't say this is totally true, Randy. I have a LOT of airflow in my helmet and I get both good sound and people can hear me clearly --- if I get a call on my bike, people don't believe me that I'm doing 110kph down the Perimeter Highway on my motorcycle. :lol:

16. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I got mine for a steam from FortNine.com ... they are here in Canada. The exchange rate will also work to your advantage.

17. Skyeric875

Skyeric875 New Member

Sena 20s if you got the money. If not my Sena 10 retailed for 150 which is not bad. Had t for the past 3 year with no issues.

18. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Honestly, I have the S10 and like it. But now that I have used it, if I had the chance to do it over, I would go with the S20. The controls are a bit bulkier but not by much and they look to be far easier to use that the 10. I do believe the battery life is longer in the S20 as well compared to the S10. Just a heads up.

19. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    The Interceptor is a Sport Tourer. Most of you sound like you are on the touring side of the spectrum, which is cool. If l had to grind down the Interstate for hours on end, l would be different. But I have neither time or desire to deal with any distraction while l am riding. My motorcycle makes music, and whoever has to talk to me, can wait. I am riding.

20. showmerider

showmerider New Member

United States
    Map
    I agree with you Sniper for the most part, however I will be traveling down to the MotoGP races in Austin with my son next month and he is a fairly new rider and considering the time and distance to get there, it would be nice to talk to him on the way.