85 fuel petcock help-*

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by vintage, Oct 24, 2006.

1. vintage

vintage New Member

Hi, guys. First time poster here. I've got an 85 Interceptor 500 with a fuel petcock valve problem. It leaks fuel when I put it into the Reserve position. In the regular ON position, everything is fine, no leaks. Bike runs great. On those occasions when I do need to put it in Res, it dribbles fuel down the side of the engine. The bike still runs, so the fuel is still getting to the carbs, but it is also leaking from the petcock valve assembly somewhere. The fuel valve assembly is no longer available from the dealer. I think I have three options:
    1) Shop junkyards for a replacement
    2) Find a used one online
    3) Repair existing valve

This is my big question: is this a repairable item? Can I disassemble it and find O-rings, gaskets or what not inside that are replaceable? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks for any help.

p.s. bike has 20,000 miles on it.

2. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

Yes, I have a 1986 VFR700F2, it had the same problem. If you take the petcock apart you will find o-rings. It is possible that you can get some o-ring lube and clean them up and re-lube them. I prayed them with WD-40 and then wipe them dry. They should clean up well. By that I mean if you wipe them after they are dry you shuold not be getting any black residue on a clean white cotton cloth (your T-shirt). If they can't be cleaned then they (o-rings) must be replaced. you can buy assortments of o-rings from harbor freight.
    hope this helps
    Dan F
    :loco:

3. vintage

vintage New Member

Thanks!

Thanks, I really appreciate the information. I'll add this to my growing task of winter maintenance items. I figured that there must be some way to repair the valve, I just wanted a little reassurance from someone who has done it that this is possible.