Lowering 6TH Gen, Anyone modified the centerstand?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by ridnout, Mar 23, 2017.

1. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Have searched here for some information, but the question wasn't answered. I believe it may be archived, unsure.

Anyway, have the longer dog-bone/side stand combination. I would like to keep my center-stand. Traveling at 100+, I got a flat tire some twenty miles outside of town. When getting the new rear mounted, the shop owner showed me the three inch bolt that was retrieved from the rear tire! That was the rattling I could hear when taking it home. Anyway, I called a bud that took me home where I retrieved the 5TH gen's rear and back to the location. If it hadn't been for that center-stand, things might not have been as convenient.

The reported lowering is 1.5". Is it simple enough to remove equal lengths of 1.5" from the centers of both legs and have them welded together?

Thanks!

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

It is just that simple, however , when it comes time to sell, you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube if the prospective buyer wants to return it to the stock height.

3. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Have Lustracing Triangles and didn't have a need to shorten the center stand only the kick stand. Sure it takes a little more grunt to heave the beast up but doable
    Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Thought of that NorcalBoy; a future purchase on eBay or elsewhere when the price will be right is another stand just for that for a true return to stock (keeping the stock dog-bone & kick stand too). There are some items I'd like to get powder coated; the modded stand and rear sub-frame come to mind.

Getting that hulk up on possibly uneven ground or a curb would be as Dr. Tu says, "the brutal approach." Thanks again gang.

5. Dead Eye Dick AKA Carpy

Dead Eye Dick AKA Carpy New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    take a small piece of wood around 1.5" thick by about 6" long and 3" wide with you, when you stop, put the wood by the back wheel so you can push the bike onto the wood (may help if you kinda slope the edge nearest the tyre to make it easier) and then place it on the centre stand. This way the amount you lowered the bike is replaced by the wood. Once the bike is up on the stand, put the wood back under the seat or in your rucksack etc wherever you intend to store it.
    I used the LUST Racing Triangles to lower mine but I can beef it onto the centre stand. I did lower the side stand, I bought a secondhand one off eBay to modify so the original can go back on or go with the bike if I sell it, along with the original triangles.

Good Luck

D.E.D.

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Sectioning a centerstand to shorten it could work if the geometry was spot on. Welding tubing could be a little iffy on a centerstand. I'd be thinking gussets in all the right places just to be sure.

The question does support having a centerstand as opposed to not having one unless another few pounds is gonna slow down some of the fast guys who never get flats..

Checked with a relative who is a welder about gussets. a chunk of rebar or smaller OD tubing will work as well as an angular or triangular gusset.

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    IMG_0442.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Badbilly

United States
    Looks more like a chrome dildo than a centerstand to me..

9. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    That Badbilly!! OMGee.

I thought it was a sidestand. Although I got my side-stand and longer dog-bone off eBay, I'm sure it came from a buy here. It is a set and really nice. Looks unused really. Although the sidestand may be hard to procure, have seen some adjustable ones, are the dog bones from different bikes able to do the trick? I'm thinking the dog-bone is just too stock. Maybe from an 600RR or something?

10. Badbilly

United States
    There are probably whole groups of collectors who have all the information on sidestands that anyone could wish for. Same for dildoes too I bet. After market stuff for bikes is not a particularly new thing.

As to the chrome stand/dildoe IMO it would take at least three of them to even be considered as a centerstand.

If your bike hasn't tipped over unless parked in soft ground or new asphalt. What you have must be OK. In the event you do have to park in a soft spot, there are pucks that you can stash in your pocket that work, or a smashed pop can is another alternative.

11. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Thanks for the tip on the gussets. Maybe a well placed cut will help or the addition of a piece of round solid stock placed inside both tubes with enough space to get a good weld around all with a final grind, polish, and powdercoat or paint.

12. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

That's what I did for my latest build....cut 3/4" out of the bottom section by the foot, then I got a piece of titanium rod from onlinemetals.com, turned it down to fit inside the tube, welded it up and had it powdercoated....you can't even tell where it was modified.

[​IMG]