Replacement Stock Air Filter

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by dtmcc1, Mar 25, 2017.

1. dtmcc1

dtmcc1 New Member

United States
    Hi All,

I'm looking to just change the air filter for my 2014 VFR 800. The local Honda dealer wants $60. Seems silly high to me. I could get a K&N for about that price, and then clean it when needed.

Anyone have opinions or suggestions?

Thanks

2. John O

John O New Member

United States
    Map
    I replaced mine with a stock Honda filter at 12,700 miles. It didn't seem worth it to try to operate any cheaper to me. I was just pleased that it was easy to do.

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    There are several choices for air filters and several threads addressing same. The OEM filters can be cleaned. Prices depend on where one sources these items.

4. dtmcc1

dtmcc1 New Member

United States
    Thanks. I searched a lot and did not find any threads in the gen 8 forum. Can you point me to them?

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    If price is your main criterion price out several brands found on the online "stores" including those who stock OEM Honda parts.

Each manufacturer will have data in spades about the efficiency of "their" filters.

What may be of some importance is where you live and where you ride, where your bike is stored outdoors or indoors ect.

Folks who reside in the Pacific NW will have different needs than folks who live in arid regions. This could even have some importance as to the population of mice and squirrels who seem to like all manner of air filters.

6. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    From everything said here in other threads the K&N oil filters are shit. But most here will stand by their air filters. I had an K&N air filter on mine for a several years and finally ditched it. I can't say that I noticed the performance improvement that people speak of but I am sure it is there if you crunch the numbers. I switched back to the OEM simply because when I change out my air filter, I don't want to be stuck waiting for the K&N to air dry before I ride again. With the OEM, you switch it out and ride immediately. I understand they tend to be a little pricey but then again, how often do you change your filter. As with my truck and wife's car, I will gently blow out dust and debris in a reverse air directing from time to time to extend the life of the OEM.

7. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    I have had good luck with K+N air filters. I have heard LDH say that the stock Honda filter flows more air than the engine can use, anyway. I tend to agree. When my stocker needs to be replaced, l will probably get which ever one is cheaper.