Denali split sound bomb

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Samuel, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Caveat 1 - this installation is a little mickey mouse/ghetto
    Caveat 2 - I haven't put everything back together yet - have other mods I'm working on - so only 98% or so sure about this

Removed the stock horn and put the compressor basically in its place - hose clamped it to the stock horn mounting bracket
    [​IMG]

Front view - note that the compressor body "overlaps" the curved plastic part, that will cause some mickey mousing later
    [​IMG]

This is the area I chose for the horn, wanted to find a spot where I could mount it and have the opening of the horn face forward. Top yellow arrow shows a little dremeling into the bracket so I could fit the link through (reason for the two links is because the edges of the brackets are kinda sharp and I was worried about zip ties and/or 550 cord being cut through over time). Lower arrow shows a wiring guide that I reverse mounted (inside out) to create a little more room (I think it would have fit fine without messing with that).
    [​IMG]

The horn body temporarily zip tied into place to check fitment. Note that the side of the body facing the camera is scraped to heck. I had to do that to allow the side fairing to fit properly - a new/unmolested horn has a squarish side and the lower corner that I ended up grinding off with a dremel and my driveway had been contacting the fairing and wouldn't allow it to fasten properly.
    [​IMG]

Front pic showing the horn, ground down to follow the curve of the fairing.
    [​IMG]

Here's what it looks like with all three parts, compressor, hose, and horn. There is about 1/2" clearance between hose and the front of the radiator - hopefully, that will be enough. I may hose clamp some foil around the hose and compressor later on. The yellow arrow points to where I ended up tucking the relay - both horn wires reached the relay with no problems there.
    [​IMG]

Here's where the mickey mousing comes into play:
    Stock inside plastic panel
    [​IMG]
    modified panel to fit around compressor
    [​IMG]
    slit cut into upper inner plastic cover to make room for compressor - the way the plastic feels, I don't think the damage will grow/spread but I will probably go back and clean that up later...
    [​IMG]

I finished wiring it up today and tested it - whoa, extremely loud! I didn't compare response time vs the stock horn but there doesn't seem to be much of a delay, if any, at all (was hoping that if I kept the hose short, there would be less of a delay - dunno if that factored into things or not). If there is a delay, I think the increase in volume more than makes up for it! :D

2. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    Interesting setup. I picked up a mini air horn kit a little while ago and was hoping to try installing it soon, it's completely different from yours and I have no idea yet if it will even fit. I do need a louder horn though.

3. Merlot

Merlot New Member

Philippines
    Map
    I have the split, and it works! People look up to see what is coming.

Slight delay on the button as the compressor pumps up, not instant like electric horns.

The split allows ingenious installation locations.