3M Healight Restoration Kit, 39165

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by ridnout, Mar 29, 2017.

1. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Bought two kits from O'Rielly's on sale for a little less than $20; and although one would be more than enough for three sets of automotive lights, I do screw up. I will be using this on the windscreen and the headlights on the truck because of this experience, maybe even some of the raw ABS on the bike as well.

Here are some picks that document the details. I followed the direction meticulously. On a side not, betcha have never seen a VTEC's headlights so messed up!

IMG_4583.jpg IMG_4584.jpg IMG_4585.jpg IMG_4591.jpg IMG_4592.jpg IMG_4593.jpg IMG_4594.jpg IMG_4595.jpg

Pics could be better. I did one completely, the one with the broken tab and missing clip. Once I got my confidence up, I proceeded to the second one. The first took like 15 to 20 minutes; the last one, only five. Well, I rushed; as there is a spot that needs some 3000 grit and a compound to be picture perfect.

All-in-all, I'm pleased. What do you guys and gals think?

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Nice work. I thought mine were bad but yours were much worse. Why did they get so bad?

3. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Probably sits outside in the sun alot uncovered .... oxidizes and dries out the plastic.

4. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Check this out. Autogeek is a very large detailing retailer and they have a huge forum for just about any detailing thing you can think of. Headlights trend to deteriorate after polishing, as the factory UV sealant is gone. This is an option to permanently reseal them.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...eadlight-restoration-new-uv-sealant-idea.html

I skipped ahead to page 101 and even after a year, it still is working great! I used to have a yacht detailing business and I've used Valspar on teak and I know it's very long lasting, even in the extremely harsh Marine environment.

5. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    The bike was purchased like that. Anyway, thanks for UV stuff. My google search arrived at that same thread and forum from a link in another forum: https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yourself-14/headlight-restoration-homemade-uv-sealant-111931/

It also appears that you can apply car waxes and such with UV protection every few months or so. Also, those 3M laminates with UV protection as well as those stone guard type protectors with again UV protection are good alternatives too. Thanks a bunch. I was totally unaware of the extras needed after the restoration.

I do have the Euro lights too. They look great and will be applying either a film or those stone guard type protectors.

Oh yeah, also heard another alternative is an automotive clearcoat. The automotive clears have UV protection in them already; however, rattle cans do not. Now that is from a quick search and read. There are always exceptions and new products hitting the market.