K & L carb kit question

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Droldaerd, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Droldaerd

Droldaerd New Member

The kit came with 5 rubber gaskets. The 2 largest of which are obviously the float bowl and air intake gasket but then there's e round ones. One largest around the size of a small coin and 2 much smaller ones about the size of my jets. But my jets don't have gaskets and the manual make no mention of them. Anyone know what they go to?

2. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    The pilot screw should have a small o-ring on it with a washer between it and the spring.

Cheers,
    Glenn

3. Droldaerd

Droldaerd New Member

Sorry I should of added the ones on the mixture screws seem way smaller than what came in my kits.

4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    some of those are for the velocity stacks, which you should not remove. I had left over parts from my OEM carb kits, main thing in my mind was the bowl gasket, the fuel mixture o-ring, and the seperate float needle/seat. There is an o-ring associated with the drain plug on the bottom of the bowls too, I usually don't mess with those. Its been a while since I had to dig into either of my gen3 carburetors, I did install a new carburetor on my Stihl edger though if that means anything. :peace: Ethanol free gas is your friend let me tell you

5. Droldaerd

Droldaerd New Member

Hmmm I didnt remove the float bowl drain screws all the way. Just drained carb and that's it. The 2 smaller ones look to be the size of the ones connected to the air clearance valve. It apparently gums up instantly if carb cleaner is shot threw. Im figuring 2 of them are for that since its recommended to be removed in the service manual. The seats are pressed in and are expressively cautioned not to be removed. So I still have this dime sized gasket left that I can't sort out. I'm looking through the manual and can't find anything that looks like it. Carb is down to vacant chambers and metal tubes. No rubber left

6. Droldaerd

Droldaerd New Member

Choke plungers are removed too. No gasket there

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Refer to a shop manual or parts fiche diagram and parts list. Maybe you could explain what an "air clearance valve" is cuz i nevva hoidofit ! :sentimental:

You might have extra O-rings in the kit for a different model Honda or just by mistake.

8. Droldaerd

Droldaerd New Member

The air clearence valve is this little cylinder object screwed into each carb with a single hose to it. They create a vacuum when you roll off the throttle so the excess unburnt gas doesn't blow up in the exhaust and cause backfires. I keep the Haynes manual open all day! But I did check a few other diagrams online just to be sure. My best guess right now is they are to the large hard T shaped tubes that meet the carb bodies together and feed them gas. But I'm not planning unmating them so they'll be one for Scooby Doo gang to solve.

9. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    You still have the PAIR stuff on your bike, consists of hard lines to each cylinder along with two diaphram sucker things on each side of the engine, associated with some hose to the carb plenums along with some fittings to your air box. I would imagine the gen4 is similar to the gen3 bikes. Just asking...

10. Droldaerd

Droldaerd New Member

The 2 smaller ones were in fact the carb drain and air screw. They just seemed a little more bulbous than I'd figure. The larger one was for the needle/diaphragm/slide set up.