My Power Commander results

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by VFRMark, Apr 1, 2017.

1. VFRMark

VFRMark New Member

Hi all, sorry I don't post here more. The ease of the VFR800 Facebook page got to me, but obviously the discussions are way more in-depth here.

I have a 2004 VFR and I am the 3rd owner. Exactly 50,000km on the clock. Two weeks ago I did the PAIR/Flapper mod and the improvement was very noticeable. Yesterday, I took the bike to Schaefer Motorsports in the Saar region of Germany to have a PC5, and at the same time we added a BMC air filter. The bike already had LeoVince slip-ons.

I thought they would dyno the bike before the PCV was installed, but they did not (remember, not always easy to communicate over here as I am not a native). They dynoed it was a 'base' map on the PCV. He asked me what my goal was for the PCV and I told him to improve the issues with the VTEC engine, specifically the choppy throttle. I told him I would love HP gain but that the overall improvement throughout the powerband was more important.

Please see the dyno run image as I am wondering why the HP gain was so slight. At the base map it was 101.12 and once mapped by the guy it was at 102.69. Tell me what you think? Overall how does the dyno look. FYI, I am not really mechanically inclined so feel free to cover the basics. Thanks!

IMG_5438.jpg

2. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States
    Well, objectively speaking, there is little reason why one should expect significant gains from an engine that was 100% sorted by Honda at that point. PAIR valve--can't make any difference, as back-to-back dyno runs would prove to you, likely the same with flapper valve.

It really pays to understand that, with modern FI bikes, manufacturers leave very little power on the table given overall parameters: Noise, longevity, operability in all conditions, from crappy Rumanian gas to the best Norwegian stuff.

Kristian

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Interesting results here. The HPs sounds about right, but with out a before run hard to say. But what's got me here is the torque value, wow 73ft lbs? that's supercharger stuff right there.. But really, most are in the mid to upper 50s, so not sure what to make of this other than somethings off. Google this and you be able to compare. Just saying.

4. fatbastard

fatbastard New Member

United States
    Map

German Dyno mate, so 73 N.m or just under 54 foot pounds.

5. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    That's 73Nm, not ft lbs.
    Metric not neanderthal.

Ooops, beaten to it by fatbastard.

6. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    It is not that manufactures leave very little on the table (modern liter bikes are making huge +15whp gains from simple ecu flashes these days), it is that a fuel only map adjustment doesn't do much and the fuel mapping was pretty much already sorted (read base map already loaded). The statement about the engine being 100% sorted by Honda is false, Honda sorts these bikes to pass noise and pollution standards, not outright power and smoothness. Sixth gens come from the factory with horrible fuel and ignition mapping in the 2500-8000 RPM range (the 8000-redline ignition mapping is pretty good and the fuel mapping is okay, just a tad rich), fuel/ignition mapping changes make a huge difference in this area, but peak power numbers (9000 to redline) will not be effected much from tuning.

Like mentioned earlier, slip-on/filter/tune don't do much for power increases on these bikes and pair/snorkel/flapper do relatively nothing for peak power gains. On a side note, your tuner really botched the vtec transition, there is still a huge dip there. With a good tune, the vtec transition should just be a smooth rise in power, with very little dip. Regardless, 102whp is on the high side for a sixth gen with minor modding.

7. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks guys, that explained the number I saw.

8. VFRMark

VFRMark New Member

Thanks all/