Looking at a new 2014 VFR

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by RHawkman, Apr 1, 2017.

1. RHawkman

RHawkman New Member

Hey all,

Been away for quite a while...like three years since I sold my 99 VFR as I retired and moved to the sticks in Oklahoma. I'm missing it more than any other bike I ever had so I have been searching the interwebs for another. Very rare especially it seems here in the middle of the country. Scouring C/L for a bike and prices for any used bike are insane. People want $4k for a 2005 VStar like I also had that was less than $6k new! So.... I looked at the local Honda dealer site and of course nothing used but... They have a new 2014 standard VFR for $5999. After getting over the shock, started thinking about how I'm sadly older still and wondered about the riding position for a short, fat old man. I'm only 5'7 and 200lb so the pure sport bike posture doesn't work for me. My 99 was better but still kinda tough on my back and arms. The new one looks like the bars are even lower. Wondering if anyone who has/had both can tell me about the comfort level? It doesn't help that it's about 3.5 miles on dirt and gravel to get to my house. Don't laugh but I'm cross shopping the CTX700. They also have a new 2014 CTX for $3999 that sure appears to be better for my short legs and the crappy roads close to home but damn, I nearly cry missing the gear whine of my 99. Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ron

2. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Unfortunately you won't get the gear whine on the 8th gen or 6th gen like you did on your old 5th gen but I would think you would fit just fine on the 8th gen especially if you put the seat in the lower position and add the Honda bar riser accessory or the even bigger aftermarket ones by Motopumps which many folks here are using. I am worried however about the dirt/gravel road situation you're in - not sure the VFR would like that - Ive never had mine more than a few feet off pavement here and there. Adventure bike might be better?

Also, not to be rude, but you might try losing some weight - not just for riding a bike but for your overall health. I know it can be tough but I've managed to go from about 215 down to a consistent 193-195 over the last 2 years by simply cutting back on the sweets and hitting the gym somewhat regularly. My doc just told me last week that for my height of 6'2" my BMI has now gone from "overweight" to "normal" - it feels great to no longer be officially fat!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  3. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    The CTX and the VFR are 2 totally different bikes. My Ex was vertically challenged, and the only bike she could get her feet on the ground was the CTX. It is made in Taiwan and the VFR in Japan. Parts are going significantly cheaper for the CTX. The VFR is a very well made V-four, the CTX is a parallel twin. World of difference in performance and size. The VFR is a better deal, but too much bike to worry about. I am always fearful of mine going down, lots of expensive side panels. Also standard doesn't have a center stand which makes servicing hard.

4. RHawkman

RHawkman New Member

If I get it I'll have to check out the risers...thanks.

And yeah, I fell off the no soda wagon a couple months ago which gave me over 10 extra pounds. I'll get back to normal, but normal ain't never gonna be a skinny mini :)

5. RHawkman

RHawkman New Member

Yeah, a pretty huge dif between the bikes. I am trying to be sensible but my love for VFRs is strong. And less than half original MSRP is hard to ignore. Plus it is even cheaper to buy than NADA lists for it used...crazy. Being realistic, I'm very unlikely to go on any more track days. Ohhhhh, the sound of my 99 with D&D exhaust and I even hit an indicated 140 on long straight...sigh. The CTX is much more sensible as I am not going to have multiple bikes any longer either. Compromise can be good and suck at the same time.

6. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Hum 7 miles on a dirt and gravel road every time you venture out--- and how long has it been off a bike?
    I think maybe buyin a used adventure bike might be a better pick at least till ya get back your mojo riding--- would hate ta think taking a new VFR down a crappy road might be asking to much.
    Just trying to be sensible.
    JMO for what it's worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Oo this will be a tough one if you try and be smart about it. To tell you the truth the 8th gen as far as riding position goes is nearly identical so strike one. But that price evens it up. Even at that it's still a sporty. Not that that's a bad thing, just might not be what you have in mind. The CTX IMO is a ho yum bike, not even in the same category. I'd look at the new standard 1100. If you can, check and see if the dealer will let you take it for a spin, from that you probably fall in love. But it ain't no 5th gen, especially a 99 version. But it is very refined , sorta has an Acura touch to it. Good luck

8. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
  9. RHawkman

RHawkman New Member

It's been just over a year since I sold my last bike. Almost ashamed to say it was a Vulcan 800.

I wouldn't be riding when it is muddy (big part of why I have had no bike for the past 1.5 years). Used to only be the last 1/2 mile but the county, in their wisdom, decided to grade the 3 miles from the highway instead of repaving. I'm sure money was the reason. Unfortunately I have yet to meet an ADV bike that will work for my 30" inseam.

10. RHawkman

RHawkman New Member

I have no illusion that the CTX is a super sport or anything like that. I also don't give a shit what other people think about how it looks to them. (The Vulcan 800 should prove that lol) I really don't need or have any true use for 100+ hp. Heck I even saw a 2009 BMW K1300 GT for 2850 that I thought about. Being retired, cost does matter. It's a dilemma at the moment for sure. That's why I had three bikes before I retired. VStar cruiser, Ninja 250 cuz they are a blast and of course the VFR. I could choose how I felt at the moment.

11. RHawkman

RHawkman New Member

Man I want to, however aside from the normal monetary consideration buying, I live in Oklahoma. Second only to Michigan apparently in insurance cost. Three bikes in Nebraska, the Star with comp/collision, cost me $250/yr. When I moved here the Vulcan alone cost $200 for liability only. I'm betting the new VFR would be pretty steep here.

How can you not smile when riding any bike? I see and know plenty of 'large' guys who ride and are perfectly happy lol. And no wife to tell me I'm being stupid either way. As for the roads? Well, the last 1/2 mile is pure red dirt that turns to mud during the spring Oklahoma tornado season. The three miles from the highway to that is sporadic gravel and a little bit of asphalt still. I can take it easy for that part of a ride whatever I get, but yeah, I'd feel terrible messing up that gorgeous VFR. If not for the 80 mile one way trip I hope to take to visit my granddaughter a 250 street legal dirt bike would make more sense. If I was 6' tall something like a CRF would be great. When I was a kid I rode MX but that was in the days before 12" of suspension and I could touch the ground :) Oh, and they want more for one of those than for the VFR!!!!!

12. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Yeah I used to drink a couple of sodas a day - I would attribute about 10 lbs of my weight loss to cutting way back on the soda.

My apologies Bubba, as you know I'm usually one of the most polite and courteous members here - LOL. I only brought up the OP's weight because he himself mentioned it as one of the factors that might be interfering somewhat with his ability to achieve a comfortable riding position. So I merely tried to gently suggest that he drop a few pounds. One of the more blunt members might have just posted this vid instead :glee:

[video=youtube;FdSORiSaRW8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSORiSaRW8[/video]

13. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map

That sucks on the insurance. My choice to buy the VFR was because of the discounted price (7999) and also was because to the cost of insurance. I wanted the Ninja 1000, because I have had more of a love of inlines rather than V'S with the exception of the SV1000s due to horse power. I was stunned at the cost in Utah for insurance of the Ninja at $145 a month for full coverage due to financing my purchase.( that was almost equal to my bike payment) I pay $55.00 a month for the VFR. I could not have bought either bike with insurance costs of over $70 a month. I'm 48yrs old with a clean driving record over the last 19 yrs and was amazed with the difference of cost between an inline or a V2 or V4 bike in my state. I really regret selling my 2003 Suzuki Sv100s due to HP at 113 and weight dry at 417lbs and insurance costs for full coverage being $29 a month. Yes that is true. I think that progressive sees that a twin is not a sport bike, but that the SV was one. I wish you well on you decision and ride safe not matter the bike you choose!

14. RHawkman

RHawkman New Member

DAMN!!! I already have stents in my heart. If I got told those costs I'd surely have a heart attack. I was pissed at 250 a year! I called progressive and they quoted me about 130 a year for another VStar liability only. Now that sounds really cheap but after paying $100 for a year of full coverage in Nebraska I was not happy. You might not think it, but a lot of things are high in Oklahoma. Nearly 10% sales tax, house insurance is about $200 more a year for 1/4 the coverage I had in NE, car insurance more than doubled. Terrible drivers and tornadoes I suppose.

Where are you at in Utah? My mom was from Cedar City and I think I still have relatives in the SLC area.

15. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I disagree totally with someone else here about losing weight and your overall health. I lost over 20 pounds, got back in shape and am at my college athletic weight and feel like a brand new person. My bike riding stamina is great and I ride it without risers. The stock position if perfect for someone in good shape unless you're 7 feet tall. You get to live longer too if someone doesn't wipe you out with a cage. Eat right, exercise, and really enjoy riding much more. Nothing to lose but pounds.

16. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    Man I think I have to push away from the dinner table after the first round instead of acting like it is a buffet table
    What does this sound like
    5'8"
    200 lb
    30" inseam
    I think you must be my brother
    All jokes aside I don't ride in the woods like I use to but can still smoke a young buck on a cbr600 in the turns at the track with my old cb400f race bike
    Just bought a few months ago a 1990 VFR750 and Hell or high water it is going to be ridden by an old white hair guy
    Ha, just had a flash back of my dad at 60 on his new 76 GL100O, gold helmet,white scarf like snoopy
    Anyway, as someone suggested, see if you can take the VFR out for a short ride, you will know in two minutes if the new version of the VFR is what you seek. As soon as I found my 1990 and drove it down the street I knew the search was over.
    As mentioned earlier the days of my beating myself up in the woods are coming to an end, and with all the back gravel roads we have I have been looking at the Adventure bikes. Last summer I took the new Honda Africa Twin out for a demo run. To be honest with a 30" inseam I thought I would be in trouble, but as soon as you sit on the seat she settles down a lot
    I came away very impressed, good power, handles very well and is comfortable for a long ride
    When the time is right I will have one of these, probable with the standard clutch, just because I hope I will never be too old to shift a bike with a clutch lever.

17. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    53, skinny, short arse with only a 28' inside leg. Seat in lower position and 1.25 motopump bar risers. Works for me, though only flat footed when my (tiny) gf is on the back.
    Have ridden a good few 200 mile plus days with no comfort issues, so I think the bike will be fine for you.
    However, that 7 miles of poor surface would certainly concern me.

18. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Don't get me wrong, the VFR is a great bike. Have the dealer put on the center stand as part of the deal. Only you know what your road will do to any bike. I stopped by my dealer where I bought the VFR 2 1/2 years ago, they had a showroom packed with Hondas, Kaws, Suzukis (no VFRs!), and I said to them "there wasn't one bike in there I would rather have than the VFR" (no CBR1000RR either). Keep us posted on what you decide.

19. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Go for if that's your hearts desire---- one year off a bike is nothing --- definitely get the center stand and enjoy.
    Let us know what you decide.
    Side note-- Welcome to the site and was thinkin with my head and not my heart when responding, I know with me if I want something no one is going to talk me out of it......
    DO IT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. RHawkman

RHawkman New Member

Thanks everyone. Guess I need to call USAA to see what the insurance would be cuz honestly that could make a difference. My p/t job at Autozone, aside from letting me get out and be around other humans, will go for the bike, whatever it winds up being :)

Ron