G5 rear wheel swap?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Droldaerd, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Droldaerd

Droldaerd New Member

I was thinking of swapping out the rear stock 170mm wheel for the 180mm that sits on its younger brother. A friend was mentioning that he feels his corning has improved with it. Is there any truth to this? I'm running an ohlins aftermarket adjustable hydrolic rear shock absorber currently and wouldn't mind a larger rear wheel that is on the rim its suppose to be.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

The 3 & 5 Gen rims are 5.5" wide but the 4 Gen is 5.0" wide so it's more suited to a 170 tire. You can put either tire on the rim but the profile will change slightly with a wider tire on a narrower rim and vice verse. A wider rim with a narrow tire will flatten it out a little and a wide tire on a narrow rim will make it more round. How much will depend on the tire carcass and tire profile. Oddly my Ducati 900SS came with a 5.5" rim but was specified with a 170 width tire. I currently run a 180 on it now and no issues but the 5.5" rim is more suited for the 180.

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Are we talking tire or rim width? That said, pretty much what OOTV says, you can put a 180 on the 5" rim it works out just fine, but if it bothers you, go ahead and find a 3rd or 5th gen gen rim ;)

4. Droldaerd

Droldaerd New Member

Ya I'm not big on mounting different sized tires. Its less of I want a bigger tire and more id welcome better for preformance for the price of a rim.

5. Droldaerd

Droldaerd New Member

Ya I usually stick with oem sizes. If I was to change to a 180 id be willing to buy the rim for it. I'm just curious if there are any noticable differences between the ride and if suspension adjustments were necessary.

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I'll say this, a fellow member had a 190 on his '95 750, the tire shop made a mistake. Although it was rideable, it wasn't very flickable. He ended up putting on a 180 (Michelin PR3) and he felt it was much better but could not remember how much of a difference between that and the 170 that it came with. He was happy with it and kept it.

7. Droldaerd

Droldaerd New Member

Thanks. Good info. Flickability is what I'm most concerned about. That's the main reason I dont want to mount a larger tire without the proper rim. I dont like flattening down my sidewalls for the sake of a bigger tire when I spend half my time on them. But since the single swing arm makes the swap easy cake, I thought I might pull the swap on the next tire change if there was any main differences. If there's nothing noticeable is rather just keep the extra weight off. I've seen newer sport bikes getting into the 210s but those are mostly liter class and I'm no exactly spinning the rear wheel on take offs

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Ya know one coming from the 4th gen, now a 5th gen the thing with the 170 size is there are little options today. I rode it, 5" rim with both the 170 then the 180 and to tell the difference if you can, so little difference , not sure it's worth worrying about, I can tell more with tire pressure. I'm not sure what's out there in a 170 today I'd want, so yea I'd run with a 180 on the 5" , no problem

9. Droldaerd

Droldaerd New Member

I run Dunlop roadsmart 2. Order them from revzilla and never have a stock issue. Ya I had one guy tell me he upgraded for the availability of the 180s but he wasn't internet wise at all and didn't like waiting a week to change his already dead tire. I usually purchase them early though. Pop either rim off because its so ridiculously easy on a vfr, and take them to a shop to be put on.

10. Droldaerd

Droldaerd New Member

On a side note I found a post regarding the upgrade and the person said they had to mill the rim to fit over the 750 rear hub with the 5.5 and I'm just not willing to put that extra work in for an unnoticed gain

11. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Forgot about that. The 3 & 4 Gens have bolts that protrude on the wheel mating side of the hub. If you can find one, the 8 spoke of the 3 Gen would be the way to go, as it has the cutout on the wheel already. However, those are not only rare but can cost a good $300-$400 on the average. If you're lucky like Duccmann though, you can pay $180 for a 3 Gen wheel set and sell the front for $90 and have a net cost for a 8 spoke at $90!

BTW, the 8 spoke is a highly sought after wheel and you have to be quick or someone could snatch it up before you can click the 'buy it now' link!

12. Droldaerd

Droldaerd New Member

Yes yes. Hah. After someone mentioned both 3 and 5 were 5.5" I looked up 3 as well and didnt find any but the front. Guess I now know why.