Corbin Beetle Bag Hardware, 5TH Gen

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by ridnout, Apr 5, 2017.

1. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Call me a glutton for punishment, but won an auction for set of 5TH Gen Beetle Bags. After questioning the guy about hardware, he says that he will look but does have some bolts and stuff. Day of the auction, I don't reread and get the bags. He hasn't mailed them yet, and with him being so slow in mailing them, I could probably cancel the order.

Here's the deal. How hard would it be to fabricate the mounting hardware? I've found pics of the installation instructions with somewhat blurry pictures of the hardware parts, bits and pieces, and the bags mounted highlighting some of the mount points.

Again, is it worth the trouble?

Anyone have good pictures of the mounting hardware or willing to take a few for me?

I'd sure appreciate it! I'd PayPal you a beer or two :wink:

2. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Do you have the tools, equipment, skills to DIY it?

3. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    In school, I worked in an iron shop/fabrication where I was the factory's drill press operator. There, I leaned how to art and structurally MIG weld. I was always building and making repairs. During that time to finish a paper and compete, I enrolled in auto mechanics and received my certificate (the teacher was a rider).

The skills are there, and I know of a mature gentleman wanting me to turn some wrenches who has a couple of welders. I have not checked if he has a welding table, as most of his jobs were repairs to chassis and such. I haven't spied any of the tools for truing, but there are two Harbor Freights around. I have hopefully found a powdercoater in the area, maybe even two that take non-commercial customers.

If I get better pictures along with the bags in my hands, I believe that I will be able to work some magic. With some of Honda's mounts for the trunk and luggage, I have seen the construction techniques. From the pics, it looks like some solid square stock, tubing, and sheet metal, all cut, bent, drilled, assembled and welded. I could not tell if nuts were welded onto the sheet metal or if tubing was welded and threaded.

At the very least, skill...check.
    Tools, some.

However, at the end of the day, if I could have some good pics, maybe with a ruler beside a piece or two, I could make some drawings and find any of some local shops to fab the pieces or maybe the bending...

If you have some pics for me, that'd be great, or of someone willing to get me some good Kodaks.

Thanks.

4. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey ridnout - good for you, your initiative is admirable. I just sold a Corbin Smuggler to Guoseph on vfrd. He sent me photos of the Smuggler nestled between a set of Beetlebags mounted to his 5th gen - it is a fantastic looking kit! If you decide not to take on the fabrication, you won't have a hard time finding someone to buy the Beetlebags [Call me!]

5. bnick3

bnick3 New Member

United States
    Were they the ones in Denver recently on eBay? I have been looking for the mounting hardware for 2 years. I did find the PDF of the Corbin instructions some time ago and it shows what the hardware looks like. When I can find the time, I think I can put something together, it doesn't look very complicated. Good luck!

6. dvo

dvo New Member

United States
    I have the setup. I can take pics for you.

7. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    I found the pics on this forum or VFRD bnick3. After going back and looking a second, third, and forth time, yes, they don't look that bad to fabricate. However, I'd like for you to share with myself and the group what you have if not too much trouble. Are you offering to fab them?

Thanks dvo. That'd be great, especially if you took them off along with a ruler beside each item or one or two so I can get the relative lengths.

For the most part, looks like sheet metal, square tubing, threaded tubing and what not.

Oh, and yes, these are the ones from Denver. It was a beast getting communications established with the guy.

Just got them in Friday. As of writing this post, the screws or whatever that was sent have nothing to do with the mounts--just some run-of-the-mill bolts and some washers. The insides are clean-ish, nothing torn--smell of garage fumes though. I will need locks and will be contacting Corbin. The hinge on the left is spot on. The right side bag hinge axle is a bit loose inside the barrel thus having a bit of lateral play when closing. It does not stay locked as the lefty, just a pull and open. Upon closer inspection, the plunger/lip (?) is worn. The left side's lip looks to have little wear. Maybe the right one was forced closed; however, I see no other indication by looking at the tongue (?).

On a side note, I wasn't going to expect a great paint job considering the pics and the sellers willingness to take those pictures on their sides on the concrete. Since he did not mention any of these details, I will be trying to make contact to see if we can come up with a relatively small partial refund. I didn't expect the locking mechanism and hinge to be a bit wobbly. He looks to be a new seller and didn't include much detail; however, those maladies look to be curable.

Now, as far as utility, they definitely will not compare to the 6TH Gen's factory setup or anything else for that matter; however, the 6TH is the commuter, the everyday. I was able to get my Lenovo Twist in there but am not going to anymore. A Ventura rack or something custom would be better, maybe even a mount for the 6TH's trunk--won't be riding both at the same time. Oh, but hopefully, my girlfriend & I will be touring on both at some point.

It is enough to stuff in some rain gear, extra gloves/gauntlets, basically those things that may go left behind or stuffed in pockets. The Ventura rack would probably complement bags nicely by adding some useful utility like strapping down a backpack or such.

Thanks for replying and much appreciative for the offers and encouragement.

P.S. Hitting "Post Quick Reply" doesn't jive with these long-ish posts of mine : )

8. RDMCD

RDMCD New Member

Canada
    Map
    Still need pictures? I have my bike tore down and could pull the mounts off if needed.

9. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Oh, I'll bet he does. Wink wink snap snap grin grin, say no more! :dance:

10. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Yes, please.

LOL Lee. My middle name is Lee.

11. RDMCD

RDMCD New Member

Canada
    Map
  12. bnick3

bnick3 New Member

United States
    Sorry ridnout my post wasn't clear. What I meant to say was that the pieces don't look that difficult to put something together that will work and hopefully I can get around to fixing mine this year. Not lookin on taking on any more projects, lol.
    RDMCD you are the man with the pics!

13. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Totally awesome, quadrille paper with 1/4" squares. That puts me in a pretty good ballpark. Thanks a bunch.

Oh yes, do you have that seat release tab extension bracket installed as well?

Oh, what are the sizes of the bolts for your regulator? The stock ones don't work with the eBay replacement, a bit too short.

14. RDMCD

RDMCD New Member

Canada
    Map
    I bought mine used and they were missing the right side bracket if I remember correctly. Had it made from the crappy pictures on the corbin site. I didn't know there was a seat release extension... you don't need it. All the bolts are 3/8x1 except for the nut welded on the bottom bracket. It's metric and uses the stock muffler bolt.
    My regulator and bolts are stock for a 2000-01, but may be different than a 98-99.
    If you need any exact measurements let me know, it'll be going back together in the next day or two.

15. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I saw those bags on ebay but I had to pass. There were just too many hoops to jump through for me.

16. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
  17. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Wow, I believe I have enough now!

I had previously contacted Guoseph on VFRDiscussion who made this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GN2J1pB1XU

He also sent additional pictures that are available at https://www.flickr.com/photos/67433536@N08/shares/3ZfBM1

The added detail shows me for some of the mounts of the offset pieces. I wasn't for sure at first. Now with the earlier pics plus this video/picture combo, I believe I'm well on my way. Kudos to Guoseph and others for taking their time out to help me out. Wow. First Class. Now where's the tears emoticon? Just kidding. Now I'm about to PM Guoseph and reference this thread.

18. Guoseph

Guoseph New Member

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Btw the bags scratch real easy so make sure you have something soft under them when putting them on the ground.

19. Guoseph

Guoseph New Member

Oh and there's a bit of a quirky catch 22 when you are mounting the bags for the first time.

The middle hanging brackets that go under the rear cowl and attach to the passenger peg mounting bolts are hard to line up, so you kind of have to leave them loose when trying to get all the bolts to line up. But if you tighten the cases before reinstalling the cowl they will interfere with the frankenbolts, so you have to tighten the bracket with the cases mounted, then loosen the cases enough (or take them off) to get the rear cowl back on, then tighten the cases again.

And I don't recommend using a rear top cowl like I did in my profile pic unless you remember to pull your tool kit and put it in one of the side cases, cuz there ain't no way of getting to what's under the seat without major surgery.

20. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Wow, so many caveats almost outweigh the benefits of the bags...

Would a Sargent World Sport two-piece seat and/or quick release pins (Frankenbolts) remedy the cowl situation for quicker removal to the under seat area?
    With the World Sport Seat and rear seat cowl attached, I believe you cannot mount the pillion saddle. If that is the case, eventually going to get that seat, would quick removal be possible by using removing the Frankenbolts/quick release bolts and using the key.

Do the bags interfere with the Frankenbolts; forgive, but a bit lost.

Thanks again.