Oxford Heated Grips w/ OEM controller (pics)

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Rsparky, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Rsparky

Rsparky New Member

United States
    They work!

Not that I doubted it... Anywho, not really a how-to, but here's some pics of my own process.

I used a "URTONE" momentary button, and a Motion Pro 01-0080 throttle tube to get it done. The OEM RH grip is molded with the tube. I have done new grips on Kawasaki, Yamaha and Triumph, before. Never saw that until now. PITA. Anywho, the OEM cam diameter is 34mm, and the Motion Pro tube I bought was around 32. So, rather than deal with a longer throw, I used some JB weld to make it a progressive throttle! from 32 to 35mm, within a 1/4 turn of throw. Stock is also about 1/4 turn, btw. I just get a little more low-end adjustment room, which is appreciated with the snatchy 0-10% range. Oh, also, drilled out the end of the tube. It comes molded over like a dirtbike tube.
    20170322_220538.jpg

Next, was removing the old stuff. Convenient, havint the throttle grip and tube in one. Slide it off. The left, however... Holy crap was that a PAIN! The service manual even says it must be replaced with a new grip, once removed. I see why. I had to eventually just wrap the channel locks around it and yank. Gooey rubber cement.
    20170325_113451.jpg

I salvaged the connectors from the OEM heaters, and just soldered the Oxford wires to the remnants. As for the switch, it has an LED, which is kinda useless, considering you have a dash display. So, capped that wire off. Drilled a hole in the left fairing to fit the button. Had to derp my way around that for a minute, but I got through it.
    20170325_162644.jpg

20170325_144831.jpg

Word of warning... Don't cut the grips until you're sure of the length. The Honda grips are apparently short. Oh well, too late now, lmao! The heating elements are terminated fairly deep in the rubber, so my cuts were safe, luckily.
    Also, the Motion Pro tube had a little more left-to-tight play than I was comfortable with. Zip ties fixed both of these issues. (ghetto, I know, but I do ghetto a favor)

20170326_115726.jpg

20170326_111217.jpg

20170326_111044.jpg

Final product didn't end up too hateful. Even on low 50 degree mornings, I haven't had them above stock setting 3. Definitely warmer than OEM.

20170326_151912_HDR.jpg

ALSO ALSO ALSO! DON'T FORGET! Honda makes wonderfully arc-friendly switch plugs. Do not leave your brake lever adjusted all the way down, or it will blow a fuse! And another, and another and another, until you post up here like a helpless baby, asking why you can't start your bike anymore... Yah that was me. Thanks for the help with that, Terry Smith.

2. rapita

rapita New Member

Spain
    Can you post more photos of finish job???

I need to remplace the OEM grips and I’m thinking to install Oxford grips, but I read about the throttle install and I have some doubts for install another grips instead oem grips.

If I can see more photos of your integration, it’s possible that I will do the step to install Oxford grips.

Thanks

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

3. Rsparky

Rsparky New Member

United States
    20171203_093719.jpg 20171203_093559.jpg here's a couple more. Don't do the jb weld method. It popped off and really screwed up power delivery. So I bought an aluminum g2 throttle tube and dremeled a little bit of increasing cam action in there. It's not perfect, but I'm not a racer, so it's good enough.

I don't have any more good pics. Get yourself the service manual and chase down the wiring. Reuse the connectors if possible.

4. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]
    Thanks
    Plan on installing some to get ready for CO life of leisure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk