North of the Border Oil

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Hingley, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    I thought the title would get you guessing, what the hell is this boy after
    Well When I got home after picking up my 1990 VFR750 at the dealership where I bought it
    I noticed on the work order they changed the oil using 10w30
    In my mind this is on the light side I would have used 10w40
    Question is I live on the east coast of Nova Scotia and we normally have only a few hot days in 80-90's
    during the summer
    Given the temperatures do you guys think I can live with the 10w30 this time or switch to 10w40
    Keep in mind I am a cheap Canuck and dumping new oil out plus a filter is like have a knife going through the heart of a Scot's man

2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    10w30 should be OK. In theory the thinner oil, because it flows better, may help cool the engine.

The highest temperatures in the engine are at the wrist pin and piston, and the liquid cooling system has no direct contact there.

This area is cooled by engine oil, and a thinner and higher volume of oil transferring the heat away to the oil radiator may decrease the innteral temperature.

Also if you check the manual, I believe that 10w30 is listed as an option.

3. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

I stopped reading at "east coast of Nova Scotia"... :love: :love:

Then I finished reading. Seems a way to solve the problem is circle the Cabot Trail and ferry over Bay of Fundy to get on up to Gaspé. Several times. Rack up mileage before summer heat hits. Then make sure 40 is used.

If you do not have time to carry out this solution, I suppose I could come out and make the runs for you...

4. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    Oh Anne Marie... :biggrin-new: , that is certainly one solution! Hingley and I might be lucky enough to meet up at AMP in Shubenacadie sometime this summer with our twin VFR's! Anyway, I have a Shell Rotella habit, have had for years. Five gallon buckets are on sale at Canadian Tire this week. In the old Sabre and occasionally in the Trophy I used T4 (15W-40) for years. In the Trophy (usually) and VFR I use T6 in 10W-40 synthetic. The bikes love it and the price is right.

Cheers,
    Glenn

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Well now, is it full synthetic? Just run it as it is for a 2-3000 miles you'll have that many miles under the belt before it gets warmer, right? Then change it

6. RhINO

RhINO New Member

Sweden
    Map
    In Sweden Honda's service package contains semi synthetic 10w-30 and that's also an approved quality from the book so suppose it's ok.

7. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Didn't see that. Will have to get a bucket. I use this in all my vehicles, the bike, the duramax (10 fukken quarts), my wife's car and my son's too. Would use it in my daughter's car too except some bitch smashed into that at Christmas time while parked and wrote it off.

Matter of fact, wife's and son's cars use the same filter as my bike so I buy them by the half dozen when on sale. More correctly, the bike can use the same filter as the car as the car's filter is larger capacity but will fit in the bike.

For those not in the know, the 50-50 coolant in the Honda cars is identical to the stuff they sell you for the bike and far cheaper a price too.

8. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    Now the lights are coming on in this old head
    As soon as you guys mentioned if the oil was simi or full synthetic I knew you guys would have the answer
    I pulled out the work order from the dealership relating to the work I made them do before I would purchase the bike and besides using 10w30 oil it was the conventional grade GN4
    So the decision is made, I will be switching to a higher grade of oil as soon as I finish sorting out the bike
    I think I will be heading for the Rotella syn 10w40 ( thanks for that guidance as well ) I use Rotella in my old Duramax and Ford F550 and they seem to like it, ( never have to add oil between changes )