Charging issue...again...! Haha

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Droldaerd, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Droldaerd

Droldaerd New Member

More of an entertaining post than help seek at the moment.

So I laid my 4th gen down back in June. Locked my rear wheel up and didnt recover coming in too fast for a hard left curved twistie. "Had to lay 'er down," on the right side right after fishtailing towards a moderate drop-off at the edge of the road. Crisis mostly averted. Destroyed the right side of the bike and left side of me ;P...jk but that's were most the pain was, I was fully geared though.

Anyways, tangent, I blew the rectifier, melted the connector. I replaced it with this 20$ Chinese ebay. Tested bad. Sent for a different one. 2 months later it leaked its oil out and fried. AAA 300 mile towing. Yay. Bought a Ricks electrics, 120$, and everything was gravy. But I used the connector that came from the Chinese rectifier and it had much larger gauge wires than the harness. I was told I should of installed some kind of electrical cooling box between this junction for that?

To point, I was warming up the bike to leave home from work and the harness caught fire right where I did the splice! Burned out the solenoid fuse, fried my rectifier. Ack! I put a new (great looking used on ebay 75$) harness in, dialectic grease on all connectors. I had hoped that it might kick the recifier back in, but it test good, 13.95 charging volts, gets hot after 15 mins, fails, cools off, kicks back on. I've been taking an extra battery on the pillion in case I get stranded. Then bringing my battery charger to work and recharging the battery when I get there. Hilarious I know. Gotta pay the bills!

Don't worry yourselves gentlemen and ladies if there be or if you gents so choose, this isnt my end game! New Ricks rectifier on its way hopefully here in the next few days along with a new stator, Ricks 145$, just because I ain't doing more of this BS! I had purchased a used oem off ebay but ill save that for a later date if necessary and go with new.

Ill be sure to update you all once finished. Moral of the story if you're searching this post for help. Many parts are intimately connected are should be diagnosed as a whole. My stator itself is producing decent power but it may have suffered some integrity due to all the recent shorts in the system and I just want to make sure everything is gold. Ill be sure to record both pre and post data for the maintenance.

Love, peace and elbow grease,

Drol

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, lessons learned huh? ;) good going, at least you have it all down pat now.

3. NormK

NormK New Member

Charging problems have certainly become less of a weekly issue here, a few years ago it was coming up every second day. Most important thing that seemed to slow the problems was Mellowdude and his "drill" testing topic

4. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Consensus here on forum is to go with the www.roadstercycle.com rectifier. Solid part and great track record with many members here.

5. Droldaerd

Droldaerd New Member

I don't really ride the track so its cool...pun... But seriously, I got the parts in the post yesterday and I've been charging the battery between trips back and forth to work. But its over 100 miles each way so keeps me nervous. I'm just going put these in and hope for the best. If not, ill be putting in some overtime in at the grind to make up for it.