RC213v operation costs

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by RVFR, Apr 10, 2017.

1. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
  2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Wait till the end-- sure sounds sweet--
    Thanks J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    I have to have one.
    If I sell my wife, children, and house I might be able to buy one and afford a couple of years service and insurance.

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Damn, I guess I can stop saving up for one, wife is gone, she got the house, and the kids are all grown.

5. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    I am sure there is a big difference between 3000km at the track and 3000km commuting. If those 3000km were spent at 15,000 RPMs, sure, throw away the crank, but if they were spent riding to the local starbucks, I am sure the crank/rods/etc would be fine. Sorry to say it, but that exhaust note does nothing for me.

6. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    I love the flames spitting out the exhaust but I agree the sound is a bit of a letdown considering the price. For that much money you could get an H2R, H2, S1000RR, RSV4, 675R, VFR, and a new 1000RR SP2 and have a different bike for every day of the week with lots of change leftover :glee:

7. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    What an amazing looking bike
    The rebuild numbers suck but I bet only a few will see track days
    I just listened to the video of it running and that was a major disappointment
    I have an old 1975 Honda 400 F race bike with a ported and balanced motor that I ran years ago and I swear it sounded better at idle and perhaps at 12 grand

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

9. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    No offense NoCalBoy but that was actually kind of boring. I don't think anyone in the live audience was impressed either as I didn't hear any applause or even a single cheer at the end. I'm a Honda fan boy but even I would have to admit that the Honda sounds disappointing for a six figure machine.

Now THIS is an awesome sounding bike - notice the cheering audience and standing ovation at the end :glee:

[video=youtube;1Q3Qg43r2w8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q3Qg43r2w8[/video]

10. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    It never ceases to amaze me what value people put on the sound of an exhaust or the skill or lack of skill of themselves as a rider. No sound is fine with me. Nor does it cease to amaze me that people always want more power but can't and don't use all the power a stock VFR produces. Put some non-ethanol fuel in a stock VFR and see how quick you can actually ride Smoky Mtn. twisties. You'll quickly find out that your skill is lacking in 99% of the cases, not horsepower, and that your exhaust sound does nothing to help you get around a fun turn.

11. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I gotta agree with you. I know for a fact that I am a limiting factor in regards to my bike. I've ridden with guys who made me feel like a MotoGP Star and then I've ridden with guys that made me feel like a toddler on a tricycle. I know for a fact that I have a lot to learn in regards to riding skill, and I have to admit, practicing sure is fun! That's why I have as a goal to attend YCRS and California Superbike School.

That said, I can't imagine paying that much money for a motorcycle. The quality of the bikes available today, along with what's available aftermarket to further tune it, it would be a huge waste of money to spend $187,000 on a bike, unless you are planning on storing it in mothballs for thirty years, or you are Marc Marquez and you can actually get it to put out the 220HP is capable of.

But honestly, get the Panigale Superleggera and have it dialed in exactly for you and still be $100,000 richer.

I really can't understand Honda on this one.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  12. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Oh? but the sound sure does make me feel better, nothing like a great reverb, then the feeling of the pull through said corner, it's all good.

13. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I'm not one to denounce a nice sounding bike, there's "loud" and then there's "obnoxious"! To me there needs to be a good blend of sound, HD pipes are too raspy for my taste, my VFR and 900SS are much more enjoyable to me without bbeing obnoxiously loud (IMO). That being said, one of the best slogans I saw on a T-Shirt about loud pipes was for a riding school. The slogan read, "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do"

Bike setup and good riding skills are much more useful than loud pipes. For some reason though, it seems we are conditioned to believe that a loud vehicle is akin to high performance. Maybe that's why the HD guys love to have them obnoxiously loud pipes, "Listen to all the horsepower I have!"

14. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States
    Here, here!

15. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

This thread originally had nothing to do with riding skill or the lack of thereof...

16. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Start a thread.

17. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Quite true!

I wonder why Honda is unable to build a reliable engine with that output? Honestly, it's only 15hp more than the Panigale or the S1000RR. It can't be that hard, especially hand built.

18. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States
    Probably engine component weight. The thing is tiny, like a 400, and weighs less than 400 lbs. wet.

19. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
  20. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Perhaps I'm weird but for me the sound is half the thrill - I just love the sound of engines, whether it be a motorcycle, car, boat, jet plane, etc. I just watched my recent ride with VFRDave (see below) on my big screen with subwoofer for the first time and holy crap when we took off on the Tail of the Gator road about the 16:45 mark the sound of my bike revving over 10K rpm sent chills down my spine and put a big smile on my face just like when I was riding for real!

[video=youtube;VLy8Y2v5XAE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLy8Y2v5XAE[/video]