I've heard the 3rd gen triangle cannot be flipped, is that ture?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Al Pinkney, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Al Pinkney

Al Pinkney New Member

I know the answer is somewhere on the forum, but i cant seem to find it. The bike in question is a 1990.... Thanks in advance

2. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Bermuda Triangle? If your talking about the upper triple tree being flipped upside down I would'nt know, what would be the purpose of doing this? Back in the days of yore, the BMW racing crowd used to use the lower triple tree on the upper part flipped upside down, it looked trick being aluminum instead of the boring steal part. You need to take pictures of your bike and post them as this post is rather cryptic much like the Bermuda Triangle (total after-thought) :worthless:

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Based on the design, it might be possible to flip it but would it be a sound idea? It looks the bushings used for the different mounting points appear to have different bushings for the shock and frame, perhaps for the different loads placed on those points require them. Then again, would it even make any difference in the bike geometry, from the looks of it, it appears to be an equilateral triangle. I assume you are looking to lower the bike?

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 10.28.44 AM.png

4. Al Pinkney

Al Pinkney New Member

Yes looking to lower it a bit. The part numbers for the needle bearings on the pivot points in question are different so Im thinking its not going to work.

Oh and thanks for the parts diagram OOTV.....

5. Al Pinkney

Al Pinkney New Member

Its quite dirty under there IMG_20170412_133229.jpg

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

7. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I was mis-con-fuked sorry

8. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    That chain tho!

9. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    maybe it was too cold in his garage to wipe some WD-40 on it? I mean, maybe his parka was at the dry-cleaners? who knows, I know one thing, it is morally reprehensible to have a chain like that on anything :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound::pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound::pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound::pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound::pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound::pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound::pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound::pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound::pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound::pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound::pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound::pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound::pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound::pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: sorry for over embellishing

10. Al Pinkney

Al Pinkney New Member

Sorry about the chain guys, i just bought the bike last fall when there was snow on the ground and haven't got all the basic maint done.

I'll continue to tinker with this situation off line.

I don't think I'll bother you all with my questions anymore....

11. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    Al,
    Chill out a little..
    You posted a pic of the bottom of your bike that just looks really unloved on a forum of VFR lovers & seem surprised that you got a comment about it...!
    Post an intro & pic of your bike as no one has any idea about you other than what you posted in this thread.
    All forums have some type of etiquette - and basically you haven't followed it. All is not lost though.

12. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    sorry, I love :canada: and Canadians even, you did get imported a few bikes that made me mad and jealous back in the 80s/90s its all good really. I used to live in NJ and went into NYC on a regular basis, there it made economic sense to have a bike that was a little "scruffy" where some morally reprehensible thieving bastards would look else where to either steel your ride or vandalize it.

Ok, sorry, I took the easy way and kicked a man when he was down. Is'nt it warming up in :canada: by now? Please do post more questions and pictures here, we really do love all people regardless of where they hail from, as long as they ride VFRs damn it!!!! :vtr2: thats not a viffer btw :loco: