Carbs leaking fuel through jets

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Jack315, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Jack315

Jack315 New Member

United States
    Hooked the tank up to the carbs and turned the fuel on, it runs straight through the jets into the air box. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction everything internally in them looks as it should but it drowns its self out and won't run. Was questioning the floats but they all float, no cracks or holes and don't have anything to adjust.

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Try removing and cleaning the float needles and their seats. If that doesn't work you need to replace them probably.

3. Jack315

Jack315 New Member

United States
    What's the best way to clean the seats? The float valves are new. I haven't seen carbs like these before been messing with them throughout the winter. Thought it was weird they had the top of the jet in the air box but the floats not sealing had to be my problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Droldaerd

Droldaerd New Member

Those are different types of jets. Not the fuel jets. Its really doesnt make sense to me how the fuel would drain up to the airbox unless you have your fuel line not hooked up right on the carb or something. Seats cant be removed on these carbs. If you haven't already. Id buy the carb kits. Take it apart and clean all the jets. And start with a fresh set up

5. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    Hi Jack. Don't say THAT at the airport!I can't remember things like I used to. Some (most?) years of the Sabre/Magna/Interceptor had vent hoses going from the carbs to atmosphere or up to the airbox. Could you have put your supply on a vent instead of a fuel inlet?

Cheers,
    Glenn

6. Jack315

Jack315 New Member

United States
    Got it all figured out, thanks everyone. Even with new float valves it was still my issue. There was shiny brass where it was supposed to seal so I assumed they were good. When hooked to the fuel pump it would blow back up there a little and when it was hooked gravity to the tank it was a constant flow sounded like running water. No idea how long the bike had set but jets were plugged it had other issues. Missing pieces, it was crashed at some point but I saw a chance to bring it back to life. Ended up taking valve lapping compound and an old float valve and at that point anything was better than where I was. Worked out pretty good after a bunch of cleaning to get the grit out of the filters behind the valve it now runs and idles as it should it'll be back on the road soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Good to know- especially that the float needle seats can be rehabbed. Good work!

Cheers,
    Glenn

8. Jack315

Jack315 New Member

United States
    Filled my tank up with a couple gallons and it went back to doing it again. There's a vent hose that looked like it was working and wasn't, bikes perfect for sure now. Been out around the lawn and everything since it's not raining today. Must've been pressurizing and keeping the bowls open.
    [​IMG]

9. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Glad to hear you got it sorted. It did sound like a vent issue to me in the beginning. Then you thought it was needle seats and maybe they contributed, but I do feel better now that it is definitely fixed.

Cheers,
    Glenn

10. Jack315

Jack315 New Member

United States
    Combination of both I think. It sure acted like it was floats, pressure must've kept the floats open when they opened. Whoever put that vent I had in there looked like it was supposed to be there the cap spun like it was free and I'm used to seeing Tacoma differential vent valves that look kind of similar. Once it was out I saw another piece of hose and knew it was off of something else. Looked like someone even glued it in. Sure wish I knew that a while ago all of the carbs together is new to me. Once again I should stop assuming it was good however I thought if I pulled it out since it didn't want to come out easy it would break and I'd screw myself over. Thanks for all the help. Just glad it's all over sucks it was a headache for something so simple I just overlooked. At least it wasn't a serious problem, I've never even seen a VFR before this one.

11. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Big thumbs up to you! :thumb: