Front fairing disassembly breaking my balls . . .

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by seano, Apr 12, 2017.

1. seano

seano New Member

United States
    Map
    4th gen VFR here. Ok, so I've removed the windscreen and headlights, and want to disassemble the remainder of the front fairing, which is composed of a small center section, with left and right sides attached to it. Each side is attached to the center section with 2 screws. They are already removed. Each side is now only attached to the center section by "tabs".
    I can release 1 of the tabs by wiggling a bit, but the other tab does not seem to want to cooperate. Don't want to manhandle it too much and bust a tab - though I am taking it apart to repair a couple of cracks with the INCREDIBLY AWESOME PLASTEX REPAIR KIT - so even if I did, prolly wouldn't be a big deal to repair it.
    Any words of wisdom? FSM doesn't seem to have any for me :(

2. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Had that issue when taking off my front.
    So silly...once you get them off, you see exactly how they work and go back on.

But when I took them off with Glenn in Edmonton, I was running on a couple hours of sleep and it was 6 am or something crazy. So I don't rememeber just how they came out of my 6th gen.

What I do remember is that someone gave some advice, just not sure if it was here on on text, and I remember going slow and steady.

I'll try to find anything in that trip thread of mine and post back if I uncover something more useful.

3. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Some times as if they haven't been off for a long time, I found just a dab will do ya with WD40. Some plastics just like to stick to one another.

5. seano

seano New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks everyone!! Tried a touch of silicone spray and it worked like a charm! Thanks again!