left front brake bobbins rubbing on fork ?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by revguy, Apr 14, 2017.

1. revguy

revguy New Member

Canada
    Map
    I just replaced my triple tree bearings and races also pulled the forks and replaced the oil and installed race tec springs. Races and bearings went in good and seated properly. installed forks (set at proper height) install front wheel and brake calipers and it seems the left brake disk caliper bobbins are just barley scuffing the left fork ?
    I pulled the front wheel off again and loosened the triple tree bolts and am going to try to install the front wheel again.
    Any thoughts on why the left side disc bobbins are rubbing on the forks............ somethings not right

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    First off make sure you have the small spacer in the left side of the wheel. After that, you might be pushing the fork leg to the right when you push the axle in, and there is enough flex for that to make contact with the disc. Best practice is to tighten the right side first, bounce the forks hard a few times then tighten the left. That normally gets the left leg into the correct spot. There is an instruction in the owners manual about using a feeler gauge to check this clearance after wheel refitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Did you install the spacers onto the axle? There are two, a small one on the left side and a large one on the right.

4. revguy

revguy New Member

Canada
    Map
    I have the small spacer on the left side.......... I am heading out again shortly to try again

5. revguy

revguy New Member

Canada
    Map
    The right side is the only side to tighten......... I will give it a try and then put a screw driver in the hole of the axle on the left side for the final torque after giving it a bounce of 2

6. revguy

revguy New Member

Canada
    Map
    loosened everything off and gave it a few bounces and retorqued everything again....... nice and straight now !! Thanks for the help !
    Now to bleed the brakes ........... anyone recommend any good speed bleeders ?

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I bought direct from speed bleeder the first time I got them, that was for my Ducati. The next time I bought them from www.wiremybike.com, as he sells them as a kit for the VFR. He's also a member of the VFR forums.

8. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    I just installed the Speedbleeders kit from WireMyBike last weekend.

The installation was straight forward.

Bleeding the brakes and clutch systems after the install is as easy as open the bleeder a quarter turn or less, and pump.

WireMyBike kit came with a bleed hose and a speedbleeders bag to collect the old brake fluid.