I rode a 939 Ducati Super Sport today

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Sniper, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    $15,000

It is a sharp bike. Very nicely put together. It was the one with the Ohlins suspention.

The seating position, to me, is almost exactly the same as my old '01 VFR.

The engine is almost as smooth as my old VFR. The stock exhaust looked and sounded great. I was a little surprised that it was as loud as what it is. It is not LOUD, but makes more noise than most stock bikes do.

The suspention was nice, which was to be expected.

The Ducati is my first experence with a ride by wire motorcycle. I am old school. I did not like it. I dont need anti loc brakes, traction control, or 3 ride modes, either. The handle bar controls are full of clutter, as is the dash. But, that is what motorcycles have become, may as well get used to it, l assume.

It feels light! It changes direction with a lot less work than "The Big Red Pig".

In a couple of years, when l can find a nice used one, for $8Kish, maybe. But to me, it is just not worth my beloved Pig, plus $10,000.

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Nice to read your take. Yea the VFR has it pretty good. When looking at new bikes that may fit the similar to dos. its a tough act to follow for most manufactures. Thing is, once you have 5-10k on the new bike begs the question, is it as great as the VFR? for the money? That's my hic-up, I like a couple new bikes out there, but My VFR is a tough act to follow for the money.

3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

People at the Supersport forum will say the same thing about the VFR. Posting these types of threads is a waste of time, unless you have an interest in a VFR circle jerk conducted in a vacuum chamber.

smack doogle likes this.
  4. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    I think they look good and they do have a lot of similarities with the VFR. However, does not look comfortable for long trips.

5. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Which begs the question - why are you even here if it's such a "waste of time" for you? :glee: Unlike you, the gentlemen above actually own a VFR and are entitled to engage in a circle jerk about their bikes on VFRWorld if that's what they want to do - I might even join in with them. Surely there is a Ducati forum you can jerk yourself off to? :witless:

6. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    At the last IMS in Long Beach, I ride my VFR down there and the Supersport was the bike I went directly to. It's A VERY similar riding position. I couldn't really tell much difference. Maybe it's the way I ride, but I have had traction control save me from a vicious highside. I'll take the electronic nannies, I know how well they work. ABS had been proven innumerous times to be a lifesaver. I have zero issues with it.

I'm interested in the SS, I'm also really interested in the S1000XR.

I'll have to ride down to my local Duc dealer and give the SS a spin.

7. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    Thank You Greg. I appreciate that.

The Ducati has a regular wet clutch, just like most motorcycles. However, the 939 SS clutch is cable articulated. That would be a little bit of a let down on an expensive machine, like that one. That is a minor detail.

The exhaust system is nicely done, and totally out of the way, unlike some of the other Ducatis. Roasting your feet or legs is not going to happen.

I dont know why it wouldnt do well on a trip.... unless it has a short fuel range...

8. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Most of the Duc's are bbeautiful bikes and ths one is too. The good thing about ths bike is that valve adjustment interval has increased to 30k. About the same HP as the vfr but 100lbs lighter should make it fun. Your not going to ride comfortably as long as you can on the vfr but would make a fun twisty bike. I still want a Tuono.

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Glad you had the opportunity to give it a go. But I can't say I agree with you about the ABS. I can say that through extensive training and experience, I believe I can stop a car in a short distance with standard brakes over ABS but would not even consider that on a bike, with the experience I have. Now steering around and object while at threshold braking may be a different story. All I can add to that is that I never lost control while in training or afterwards. Really, in the vast majority of cases, you would not even know you have ABS unless you actually need it.

The traction control I found to be a nuisance in a car but I don't think that it slowed me down enough to have an affect in the end game in the applications I put the car through.

If I was to become one of those two bike persons, I would consider the Duc but I am getting too old for that now.

10. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
  11. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    Commonwealth in Louisville will sell a Tuono to you! I saw on in the showroom. Very beautiful. I did not ride that one. It scares me.

The big bikes like the Tuono 1100, need trac control, and ride modes. 100 hp bikes like my old VFR, Do not. I had anti loc brakes on the KTM 390, that l had for a while. Never used it, other than l tested them once.

I also rode a KTM 690, yesterday. What a hoot! The 690 would make a nice second bike.....

12. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    WOW Duc, nice bike and price, and in white. Glad its not close to me, I'd be in trouble again.

13. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Gotta say I do not agree with you on electronics. I'm an old school guy and been riding from way back in the early 70's, owned a lot of bikes. I love the simplicity of old school stuff but I have embraced electronics for sure. Any bike can be helped with good electronics, regardless of cc's.
    Rode my friends tricked our Yamaha R1 on a very fast track last year. My CBR is about the same power, very close acceleration through the gears between the 2 bikes, and the CBR has a full Ohlins suspension tuned to me. After 1 session I was considerably faster on the R1, between traction control, wheelie control and ABS I was quicker in and out of turns and that was on the R1's stock suspension. Truly amazing. On regular roads with distracted cagers, ever changing road conditions, weather, and the occasional animal crossing I will take ABS over me. And I'm fairly good an the binders.

14. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    DO IT JMON

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yea, ;) Now I'm seeing the super sport out on the dealers floor just might have to go try one on for size.

16. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

That was about the most honest thing I've ever seen written on this site about the subject of electronics.

17. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    And about 20ft lbs more torque, 80% of which is available @ 3,000 RPM!

I remember the Triumph Sprint RS I used to own had about 70+ ft lbs torque and it was noticeable switching back and forth. Now, drop 100 lbs off, add killer suspension, slipper clutch, mind bending brakes, Ohlins, two way quick shift, etc etc etc, for $14k? Now compare that to an eighth gen, and thank you, I think I'd choose the Duc.

Honda had an opportunity to rerelease the VFR like this, but instead they mated a 5th with 6th gen and raised the price a bunch. I'd gladly spend $1000 more for everything the Ducati gives me. This is why I can't see myself buying the VFR. No value there compared to what else is available

18. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Love the one you're with. Doo doo doo doo dooodoo. :peach:

19. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I do! That's why I could never justify buying an eighth gen. To me I couldn't see why I would buy something that isn't too much different than what I already have. I love the looks of the new Viffer, but I couldn't justify it.

20. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    Sadly none of my bikes are young enough to enjoy some decent electronic aids. On the other hand my company car comes with all the latest toys, and I would not be without them, ABS, ESC and DSG all add to the safety net, and allow me to do things on wet roads that would end badly in a different machine. I would love to have a bike with at least ABS, but preferably TC and cornering ABS. I'll keep buying Lotto tickets, and riding my ageing machines with due reverence in the meantime.