The Honda hunting disease

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Hingley, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    Well it is official I have the Honda disease again I was good for a few years and then wham it hits you hard, one day you are looking on Craig's list or a local buy /sale and you spot a cool old Honda you haven't seen in years you convince yourself it is too good and cheap to past up and you buy it.
    That's when the hunt disease starts, every day you look on every Webb site or buy/sell for that part you need to fix her up with and considering the few that were sold you can never past up on a deal when you find it
    Having said that here is the new find I could not pass up
    1991 VFR750, 75,000km ( 46,000 miles ) she runs a little rough and rich but she's not too bad
    The cool part was the rims, forks and calipers were all powder coated and he installed braided steel lines for the brakes and clutch as well as having a Hindle exhaust pipe
    The owner also had a new Honda set of fork seals and shop manual he gave me
    If she works out I may run her this summer while I finish the restore on the 1990

Attached Files:

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Well H, thats a pretty nice find.... lol I mean the rear wheel, the rest was just frosting on the cake right? ;)

3. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    You are right she is rough but I have seen a lot worse plus Considering what I am into it for and the fun I will have playing with it
    I am a lot better off then a couple of days at a beach motel sitting in the hot sun pounding the pops into me

4. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    Nice! Shouldn't need much to make it an 8 or 9 out of 10.

Cheers,
    Glenn

5. Droldaerd

Droldaerd New Member

Well I hope you're not looking for a right mid panel. If an affordable one its Fleabay, thats mine buddy boy! Good luck on the build! I got the Honda influenza because I'm looking at this rc51 next!

6. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    Ummmm, what RC51 would that be? :confused:

7. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    Since we have finally had a nice day on the weekend up here I thought I would play with the latest Honda disease find.
    I spent the afternoon degreasing and washing what looks to be about five years of road grime and bad storage.
    After I blew out all the leaves and crap I started using a new product ( to me ) called Spray Nine Industrial, to be honest I was surprised at how it would break down grease and dirt. After cleaning off the rear wheel and swingarm I finished it off with more spray nine and a small brass wire brush. As mentioned earlier the old girl is rough but I think it will be a great bike to try new cleaning products as well as great for learning how to spray paint the fairing. It was a great day to play and as a bonus I went through the spare parts and found a pretty good side stand fairing cover.
    If you guys are interested I will give you an update once I get her on the road
    IMG_9839.jpg IMG_9844.jpg IMG_9843.jpg IMG_9842.jpg IMG_9841.jpg IMG_9840.jpg
    I was also pleased to see what the power coated parts looked like after the wash, not too bad I must say

8. Devo83

Devo83 New Member

Canada
    Nice find, how much was she?

Where abouts in Canada are you? I'm in Ontario, just got a new to me 93.

9. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    In the end with the spare new Honda parts I paid $700
    She needs a little work to put on the road but I figured with the braided brake lines, powered coated rims, calipers etc she was worth it to me as a parts bike in the future for the near mint 90 I bought last winter
    O and the interesting part, the side stand fairing was in the box with the new Honda parts and it has the optional center stand on the bike
    I got fooled on my 90, it did not have the center stand and I managed to find one in the states but when I went to put it on I discovered that with the full Yoshimura exhaust the Honda center stand will not fit so now I have a complete center stand with no bike for it
    I wonder if that means I should be looking for another one ha ha

I am on the east coast

Last edited: May 13, 2017