Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Country
    My Ride
    1975CB400 racer,1989 CB1,1973CB350/4,1983XL250,1990VFR750,
    Thanks

Gas Additive to help clean carbs

With all the talk about ethanol being so bad for carbs has anyone had any luck with a fuel additive that will break down ethanol and other carb clogging deposits

Uber Guru

My Ride
    98 VFR 781 aka 800
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,142 Times in 851 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only fuel additive I found good was Chevrons techron.
    Opportunity is where you anticipate it.

Making the VFR have more get up and go. Header build fund @ https://www.gofundme.com/vfr-header-build

[

Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!
    Country
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,403 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Chevron's Techron is good stuff. Adding a whole small bottle dose to a bike tank of gas may be overkill. Whether or not it "breaks down" ethanol, would be a question for Chevron.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techron

Country
    My Ride
    1986 VF500F
    Thanks
    StarTron.

Country
    My Ride
    91 VFR 750, 04 EX 500, 89 YSR 50 Calamaried out. 93 VFR 750, 04 EX 500 (parts bike.)
    Thanks
    what about using ethanol free gas? http://www.pure-gas.org/

Had some good luck with BG products, disconnected fuel line, introduced product into bowls, and let sit over night. Yamaha has a decent one in a big black bottle too. This technique was used for a bike that had a neglected

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ridervfr For This Useful Post:

DriftingAlong (04-20-2017), RobVG (04-19-2017)

Country
    My Ride
    '00 RC46 VFR Interceptor
    Thanks
    I just went thru this with my old Nighthawk I brought back from the brink. I ran Seafoam in it and it helped. When I refilled the tank I used K100-G and it made a BIG difference. http://k-100.com/
    Last edited by Y2Kviffer; 04-19-2017 at 07:02 AM.
    Charter Member Chat Hooers Union, Local 151
    stand by while I figure out WTF I'm doing.....
    '00 Interceptor
    Sargent seat - HeliBars - Yoshi RS3 - ZG ST - K&N

'10 Dodge Challenger R/T

Country
    My Ride
    1990 VFR750F - Red, 1999 Triumph Trophy 900 - Pacific Blue. Gone: 1977 400-4 Supersport, 1982 CB900 Custom, 1984 V65 Sabre, 1987 Hurricane 1000, 1996 GPz1100, 1984 V65 Sabre again.
    Thanks
    I used to use BG44K which was mostly Techron until they changed the formula. Then I used Techron Concentrate. Then Chevron (don't think Chevron is in NS) stopped bringing Techron Concentrate (or any other Techron additive) into Canada. Then I couldn't find Startron although it might be found at marinas. Now I use Seafoam a couple of times a year. It is also good as a fuel stabilizer for the winter months. I buy nothing but Premium grade gas which is ethanol free (everywhere except Husky and Mohawk out west) for the bikes and small engines.

Cheers,
    Glenn
    1990 VFR750F, 1999 Triumph Trophy 900
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada
    Iron Butt Association #63720
    Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does! - Murray Walker

Country
    Thanks
    I'm sticking to my Techron story. I may buy some today at Wal*Mart.

Country
    My Ride
    1990 VFR750F - Red, 1999 Triumph Trophy 900 - Pacific Blue. Gone: 1977 400-4 Supersport, 1982 CB900 Custom, 1984 V65 Sabre, 1987 Hurricane 1000, 1996 GPz1100, 1984 V65 Sabre again.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Badbilly View Post
    I'm sticking to my Techron story. I may buy some today at Wal*Mart.
    Buy some extra and send up here to us. We're depraived - errr, deprived!

Country
    My Ride
    2000VFR800FI
    Thanks
    Always have good results with BG44K
    things are not what they appear to be

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    As noted up here in Canuck land it can be hard to find the products you can find in Wally World down south
    I did find a seafoam product and I have heard some good things about so I will give it a try
    I did find on the net a product made by STP designed for the problems of Ethanol but I have had no luck finding it so far

Country
    Thanks
    You don't have Amazon.com in Canada?

There are probably a lot of additives that will help. I have had good luch with Lucas Oil Fuel Injector Cleaner. A friend convinced me to try Redline. Haven't used enough Redline, long enough to know if it is better than Lucas. But my friend is smarter than l......

Ethanol free gas, and any additive will help. Good luck. Report back, please.

Country
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
    Buy some extra and send up here to us. We're depraived - errr, deprived!
    Amazon can provide for a price. The stuff is flammable. Wall*Mart has some new things going with delivery and in store pick up. Second hand info so far. I get consumer stuff via radio and the net from a straight shooter named Clark Howard. Podcasts and streaming probably available to you demented sorts who live in the Frozen North. ;)

My bikes have carbs. The 1991 VFR gets regular carb synchs. That and an occasional slosh of Techron ; no problems in 26 years. For similar products maybe a look at the MSDS sheets on 3-4 to compare general characteristics.

Country
    My Ride
    1985 750 MaximX 2000 VFR
    Thanks
    OMC makes a product called 2+4 they use it marine applications. This stuff works great at keeping carbs clean, is made for fuel with ethanol and also a fuel stabilizer. I have used it for years in everything from my snow blower and lawn mower and use it in my bike as well. You have to buy it a marina.
    I don't buy Premium fuel anymore after figuring out this........ when you go to the fuel pump and make your selection for fuel type, if the person ahead of you has purchased regular fuel and you hit the premium button, I figure the gas pump hose holds a few gallons and buy the time it pumps all that fuel in my tank all I have in my fuel tank is regular fuel. The hose at the gas pump is now full of premium fuel for the customer behind me who pays for regular fuel.
    If I see someone buying premium fuel in front of me I will buy premium for my bike then.

Country
    My Ride
    2014 VFR800F (Modified with bar risers, center stand and Stubby pipe) 2003 Suzuki Sv1000s (sold it) 1995 Kawasaki Gpz1100 (Totaled it) 1983 Kawasaki Gpz500 (Sold it for the later)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ridervfr View Post
    what about using ethanol free gas? http://www.pure-gas.org/

Had some good luck with BG products, disconnected fuel line, introduced product into bowls, and let sit over night. Yamaha has a decent one in a big black bottle too. This technique was used for a bike that had a neglected
    Who has ethanol free gas? We do not in Utah and have three refineries? That 10% makes them money. I will follow that link but the only gas in Utah has that fucking 10+ percent. I could go out to the airport and get something just as bad to the bike but will run like a son of a bitch until I have to replace all of the engine parts. I saw the list and only three stations in Utah within 80 miles of Salt Lake City have it with the required 91+ Octane. Nope this sucks.

Country
    My Ride
    2014 VFR Former owner: VFR 5th Gen. VFR 6th Gen. BMW R1200RT BMW K1200R
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba5466 View Post
    Who has ethanol free gas? We do not in Utah and have three refineries? That 10% makes them money. I will follow that link but the only gas in Utah has that fucking 10+ percent. I could go out to the airport and get something just as bad to the bike but will run like a son of a bitch until I have to replace all of the engine parts. I saw the list and only three stations in Utah within 80 miles of Salt Lake City have it with the required 91+ Octane. Nope this sucks.
    I use nothing but ethanol free gas. It's easy to find where I live and it makes a remarkable difference in power output in the VFR engine. With ethanol free gas, it takes away the want for a liter bike. The owners manual of a VFR only says use 86 or above octane. VFR's run best on 87 octane and, in fact, run like crap on premium gas. I can get premium ethanol free gas but it runs very poorly due to the high octane. That applies to the 5th, 6th, and 8th gens. at least. Sorry you can't get non-welfare fuel. "I'm from the govt. and I'm here to help you...."

Back to the OP's concern, small engine shops carry ethanol treatments designed to prevent separation in the fuel. Techron will do nothing to address that.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DriftingAlong For This Useful Post:

Bubba5466 (04-20-2017)

Country
    My Ride
    91 VFR 750, 04 EX 500, 89 YSR 50 Calamaried out. 93 VFR 750, 04 EX 500 (parts bike.)
    Thanks
    I just started a small two stroke hedge trimmer that had not been started in at least 9 months, three pulls and it was ready for some action. I store these things with fuel in them, at work - If I use one of these tools, I will drain the gas oot and run it till it dies.

Nothing but ethanol free 90 octane Recreation Fuel goes in my lawn mower, weed-eaters/etc and my beloved 91 VFR. This gas station that sells the stuff is quite the chit, big bike hang out and trucker station. Two turns down the street from me pretty much. Too bad Utah screws you like that Before I switched to ethanol free gas, I had all kinds of problems with my weed eaters, deteriorated primer bulbs, bad carburetors, etc. The stuff is a miracle for me.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ridervfr For This Useful Post:

DriftingAlong (04-21-2017)

Country
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DriftingAlong View Post
    I use nothing but ethanol free gas. It's easy to find where I live and it makes a remarkable difference in power output in the VFR engine. With ethanol free gas, it takes away the want for a liter bike. The owners manual of a VFR only says use 86 or above octane. VFR's run best on 87 octane and, in fact, run like crap on premium gas. I can get premium ethanol free gas but it runs very poorly due to the high octane. That applies to the 5th, 6th, and 8th gens. at least. Sorry you can't get non-welfare fuel. "I'm from the govt. and I'm here to help you...."

Back to the OP's concern, small engine shops carry ethanol treatments designed to prevent separation in the fuel. Techron will do nothing to address that.
    It would be great if Drifting Along would start adding some links to these wonderful sites that he knows aboot. I'm aboot ready to dig into a box I have stashed somewhere and get some of that small engine stuff and see if it works in an old model airplane engine I have. I sure hope it still works and nobody snitches me out for running a two-stroke.

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    This gas thing is getting interesting, just tonight there was a program on one of the main TV stations talking about
    How there is no difference between reg and high test gas. They found no performance difference between the two neither in miles per gallon or power created. I will still use high test simply because it does no have the ethanol that reg grade has.

Country
    My Ride
    '00 VFR, '04 KLX 300,'06 CRF 230,'04 CRF70, 1981 RD350LC
    Thanks
    On my 2Stroke RD350LC I won't use corn piss ethanol fuel. A couple years ago I had regular in it and it locked up on Hwy 401. I was so fortunate there was no damage to the motor as I pulled in the clutch the same time it locked up. The ethanol is heavier then fuel and separates, burns much hotter then gas and wreaks havoc on 2t motors. Non ethanol for me. Try seafoam?
    Attached Images Attached Images

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Laker For This Useful Post:

squirrelman (05-15-2017)

Country
    Thanks
    If i go to a pump with just 1 hose, i put fuel in the jeep first. Then i fill my gas can. Then dump the gas can into the bike. If you are out on the road, you just have to take what you can get.

Country
    My Ride
    1986 VF500F
    Thanks
    Around here, in small engines, Seafoam + ethanol free gasoline has proven to be very good. For serious cleaning in systems using ethanol, StarTron (an enzyme cleaner) is known to clean very well. For example, in one of my light trucks, one course of treatment cleaned upstream of the fuel filter so well, a new filter needed immediate replacement. I cut the filter open, and found it to be full of a pale yellow substance, which when dried was a fine powder resembling sulfur.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Country
    My Ride
    1998 Honda VFR800 1990 Yamaha FZR400 1986 Honda Magna V45 1985 Honda CB650 (Burgundy) 1984 Honda CB650 (Red) 1982 Yamaha XJ650 Seca
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    On my 2Stroke RD350LC I won't use corn piss ethanol fuel. A couple years ago I had regular in it and it locked up on Hwy 401. I was so fortunate there was no damage to the motor as I pulled in the clutch the same time it locked up. The ethanol is heavier then fuel and separates, burns much hotter then gas and wreaks havoc on 2t motors. Non ethanol for me. Try seafoam?
    Nice RD, I have this parked in my house. Not an RD but in the same era. It's an XJ650RJ

IMG_0367.jpgIMG_0369.jpgIMG_0370.jpg

28. The Following User Says Thank You to riprocop For This Useful Post:

Laker (04-21-2017)

Country
    Thanks
    We know that all VFRs are way too heavy. We all know that Harley's are way too heavy too but when it comes to the specific gravity of liquids it be mo bettah to have a list:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/specificgravliqtable.html

Uber Guru
    Country
    My Ride
    1999 VFR 800
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hingley View Post
    With all the talk about ethanol being so bad for carbs has anyone had any luck with a fuel additive that will break down ethanol and other carb clogging deposits
    If the bike's been sitting for a long time, your best bet is to tear down the carbs and soak them in dedicated carb cleaner. or maybe even an ultrasonic deal if you want to get fancy.

As for "breaking down" ethanol, the goal would be to keep it in the gas blend as long as possible. When ethanol separates out it absorbs moisture. You're better off storing a tank of that stuff mostly full vs empty. Less room for condensate.

Country
    My Ride
    2014 VFR Former owner: VFR 5th Gen. VFR 6th Gen. BMW R1200RT BMW K1200R
    Thanks
    It would be great if Drifting Along would start adding some links to these wonderful sites that he knows aboot. I'm aboot ready to dig into a box I have stashed somewhere and get some of that small engine stuff and see if it works in an old model airplane engine I have. I sure hope it still works and nobody snitches me out for running a two-stroke.
    Anyone that wants to know can PM me and I'll be happy to tell you this site. BB has to be nicer for me to tell him. BTW, the site is already posted on this forum for those that know how to read.

Country
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DriftingAlong View Post
    Anyone that wants to know can PM me and I'll be happy to tell you this site. BB has to be nicer for me to tell him. BTW, the site is already posted on this forum for those that know how to read.
    I am being nice.

Country
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V4toTour View Post
    If the bike's been sitting for a long time, your best bet is to tear down the carbs and soak them in dedicated carb cleaner. or maybe even an ultrasonic deal if you want to get fancy.

As for "breaking down" ethanol, the goal would be to keep it in the gas blend as long as possible. When ethanol separates out it absorbs moisture. You're better off storing a tank of that stuff mostly full vs empty. Less room for condensate.
    Ethanol is hygroscopic. ( likes water) upon exposure to ambient air the process is initiated. Even the popular distilled beverages that claim to be 100% ethanol contain a % of H20. A full tank is good insurance. Here's one for the Vodka fans. Booze is taxed using several formulas dating back to George Washington's time. Ol George was a hell of a biz dude and cranked out a shitload of Whisky. The taxes are based on "proof spirit", yet 100 Proof Vodka is only 50% ethanol.

A clear case of taxation with inebriation.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Badbilly For This Useful Post:

Mind_Surfer (04-21-2017)

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Ethanol is hygroscopic. ( likes water) upon exposure to ambient air the process is initiated. Even the popular distilled beverages that claim to be 100% ethanol contain a % of H20. A full tank is good insurance. Here's one for the Vodka fans. Booze is taxed using several formulas dating back to George Washington's time. Ol George was a hell of a biz dude and cranked out a shitload of Whisky. The taxes are based on "proof spirit", yet 100 Proof Vodka is only 50% ethanol.
    A clear case of taxation with inebriation.
    There is no question there is a pile of science behind the additives today's fuel has
    I am old school and when I was a lot younger I never got sucked in by the old STP ads relating to oil and gas additives
    In years past I would always pull the carbs off for a rebuild when the bike was running poorly
    I guess I am getting lazy, the thought of pulling the carbs off this old 1991 VFR looks like a lot of work and I like the idea of a ride instead of carb cleaner fumes.
    As an experiment the bosses Acura TL (300,000km ) has been running rough when you first start her in the morning. Yesterday I dumped a can of seafoam carb/injector cleaner and let her take it to the city and back
    ( 250km ). This morning when I started her it was amazing to me the difference in the motor noise. I could not hear one single tick at cold idle. I am sure it is not the fix all but I was impressed. The next step is to fill the VFR's tank up with fresh high test and seafoam and give her a good long rip.

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hingley View Post
    There is no question there is a pile of science behind the additives today's fuel has
    I am old school and when I was a lot younger I never got sucked in by the old STP ads relating to oil and gas additives
    In years past I would always pull the carbs off for a rebuild when the bike was running poorly
    I guess I am getting lazy, the thought of pulling the carbs off this old 1991 VFR looks like a lot of work and I like the idea of a ride instead of carb cleaner fumes.
    As an experiment the bosses Acura TL (300,000km ) has been running rough when you first start her in the morning. Yesterday I dumped a can of seafoam carb/injector cleaner and let her take it to the city and back
    ( 250km ). This morning when I started her it was amazing to me the difference in the motor noise. I could not hear one single tick at cold idle. I am sure it is not the fix all but I was impressed. The next step is to fill the VFR's tank up with fresh high test and seafoam and give her a good long rip.
    Good plan. Just don't dump the whole can of Seafoam in the gas tank of the VFR unless you need some mosquito fogging in your neighbourhood. I'd start with a double dose in a half tank and let it get through the carbs and sit overnight. Then run it a bit more and top up the tank to get the right mix.

Cheers,
    Glenn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast