5TH & 6TH Gen Air Cleaners (Boxes) Interchangeable? Thottlebodies?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by ridnout, Apr 20, 2017.

1. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    As title suggests...

Have extra 5TH Gen Engine with approximately 17K miles as a spare. Have a '99 and an '04.
    Have 6TH Gen Throttle Body/Injectors; understand the injectors are different along with the wax unit as compared to the 5TH Gen.
    As the fuel pump assembly, the air cleaner assemblies are different part numbers.

For a '99 build or long term spare (or maybe even a 6TH retrofit):

1) Is the throttle body of the 6TH Gen compatible with the 5TH Gen (what needs to be done tuning, fitment wise)?
    2) Are the air cleaners (boxes) interchangeable? Since this will be mostly for a spare or naked 5TH Gen build in the future, if interchangeable, are there any interference points such as with the gas tank?

Thanks guys, slowly but surely making progress on the harem (two mistresses maybe with another on the way). Build thread coming soon, ummm, hopefully.

2. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Fifth gen long block, with 6th gen throttle bodies/ecu/injectors/wire harness/etc/everything else has been done before. It will need dyno tuning, but it works great once sorted out. I do believe that is what Highsidenz and a few others have done.

3. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    At some point will be looking to do a fifth naked...

have engine, wiring harness, fuel tank, all fifth
    throttle body, sixth

will be looking for frame and swingarm at some point, but what I need to know is if the AIR CLEANERS (boxes) are the same for each year, which to buy to fit underneath a fifth gen tank (esp. w/ sixth gen tb)

i am not near my fifth at the moment to compare or try a swap for verification...

Thanks KandyKidd; knew that was done before; that's where I got the ideas, but didn't know of fitment ON a fifth with fifth gas tank, esp. again with a sixth tb

Keep it coming gang...

Cheap effective piece per cheap effective piece, the budget build
    One nut and bolt at a time...

4. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    You need the right box for the TB's you are using.
    I'm pretty sure either will fit under both tanks.
    You need 5th gen harness and ECU, but I think you will need a tuned PCIII to work well.

5. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Thanks. That was the question--air box to throttle body and fitment.

Had already researched here and maybe VFRDiscussion about the differences in the injectors. Already knew that I'd need a 5TH Gen harness to work with 5TH almost everything else. So far the only sixth stuff purchased is the tb assembly. From reading here and there, some have put 5TH engines in 6TH gen frames with fitment & other mods retaining the 6TH Gen ECU.

It will be gound up with COP that I've also researched. That will clean up the general look. Also, I want to do away with the side mounted radiators. Seems the best fit would be from a 8th gen, unsure at this point if the headers are the same (think not). A nice sheet metal scoop underneath would button her up. I'd also have that same theme in a custom mounted headlight array. Stainless would be cool. Aluminum bits would match the other metals.

I love the scrambler/naked look.

Word of advice, "Do not take your 6TH GEN through dusty gravel roads!" You won't ever get all that dust out. I know.
    IMG_1750.jpg Behind Bee Lake, Mississippi Delta

Oh yes, just checked some shots from the same seller on eBay of both. Seems their baskets ARE different. Nice catch OZzie! Heading to the thanks button. Also I noticed that the routing of the vacuum seems to be different too.

Once again, keep it coming. Maybe even a Krazy-Kart--have an associate with a 2008 R1 Kart! Nahhhh, I'd want to drive it on the Highway. Holy...

Just thought of this, maybe a 6TH Gen Lower & Fifth upper, ummmm hahhh. Hopefully not. Seems I have some manual digging to unravel the vacuum routing/functions and sizing.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  6. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    I know about the dirt. Did 135km on rough dirt roads to get to SBK at Phillip Island recently, and had to pull bike apart when I got back to clean it properly.
    COP's are easy and you end up with a cleaner, lighter set up.
    Just get a CBR1000 spark plug harness as it has the same color coding as the VFR, and GSXR COP's.

7. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    What was your procedure?

Whiat was actually disassembled?

Cleaners?